I am a big Hasahn fan

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

I love the book, but its essentially an extended short story, not really a novel.  I think this is a rare case where the movie is better than the book.

The movie when it came out, had a huge negative PR campaign against it.  It was only mildly successful at the box office and didn't take off until the DVD was released.  It should have won multiple awards in retrospect.  Ebert panned it completely and Rosie O'Donnell did a whole show on how horrible it was and then gave away the twist ending before it even came out.  Looking back it was very strange how it was perceived leading up to its release.  None of the criticism was about the performances or the story.  The media just didn't like the themes presented in the movie, not exactly what criticism should be based on.

The war against "toxic masculinity" had already begun.

18 hours ago, thetorch said:

I love the book, but its essentially an extended short story, not really a novel.  I think this is a rare case where the movie is better than the book.

The movie when it came out, had a huge negative PR campaign against it.  It was only mildly successful at the box office and didn't take off until the DVD was released.  It should have won multiple awards in retrospect.  Ebert panned it completely and Rosie O'Donnell did a whole show on how horrible it was and then gave away the twist ending before it even came out.  Looking back it was very strange how it was perceived leading up to its release.  None of the criticism was about the performances or the story.  The media just didn't like the themes presented in the movie, not exactly what criticism should be based on.

When Palahniuk sent the book to publishers, they offered him “kiss off” money that they expected him to reject, but  would still allow them to go back to the person who originally recommended it and say they offered him a deal. But he took it because it would pay his rent for a year. I just think a lot of Palahniuk’s dark humor 1-liners are lost on, or were completely left out of, the movie. Like Tyler Durden saying, “we won’t really die. We’ll live forever.” And the narrator responding with, “Tyler, you’re thinking of vampires.” Also, the way the narrator 1st meets Tyler in the book is infinitely better than in the movie (I won’t spoil it if you haven’t read it.) But I’m also a huge fan of Palahniuk in general. So I’m definitely biased.

On 9/9/2021 at 9:08 PM, sigourneyanderson said:

After reading through the Goodwin thread I was curious about others thoughts regarding the play of our other 4 year senior. 

I am a big Hasahn fan and have been bummed by how his senior season has gone so far. 

He doesn't seem right. Maybe it was the early season concussion, off-season covid, grandmother's passing, etc. 

I don't know what it is but he hasn't been the dominant Hasahn from past seasons.

Hey Sigourney, thanks for posting.  I wish some of our other regular posters were a bit more accepting of new fans to the board, but don't worry too much about that.  Keep cheering on the Bills.

With regard to Hasahn, he recently signed with a team in Europe.  We will, hopefully, follow his career over there, as we do with other former Billikens.  I personally think Hasahn had a decent final season, but he just was who he was; a dominant force on the boards and inside on offense, but no real shooting touch to speak of. 

RUBillsFan likes this

26 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

If you look closely, I'm sure you'll find Roy in the background of this local news report.  Oh yeah, Michael Stipe from R.E.M. was also there.

OMG John Auble and Dick Ford.

I went to that show one time and was entertained by the audience as much as the movie.

My wife has the music on her phone so I still listen to all of that music whenever it comes up on shuffle.  My wife has the grandkids singing and dancing to it.