2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Nesbitt primary problem is the absence of a mid-range game.  His bread and butter in high school was converting at the rim which is harder to do in college.  It's feast or famine for him -- he's either hitting threes which opens up the drive or he's not.

He’s shown flashes of one too. Hope he keeps working on it.

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

He’s shown flashes of one too. Hope he keeps working on it.

Team Blue needs Nesbitt to be more consistent. That probably won't happen this season.

Points per game in February:

14, 2, 8, 0, 18, 16, 5, 5

Rebounds per game in February

5, 4, 4, 7, 1, 3, 4, 2

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Team Blue needs Nesbitt to be more consistent. That probably won't happen this season.

Points per game in February:

14, 2, 8, 0, 18, 16, 5, 5

Rebounds per game in February

5, 4, 4, 7, 1, 3, 4, 2

i would bet if he was "promoted" from 3-5th option he would immediately be more consistent.   

Crewsorlose likes this

34 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

We’re in…Billikenbooster and Mrs Booster

If your in then Mrs. CBFan and I would like to join.

19 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

We’re in…Billikenbooster and Mrs Booster

18 hours ago, CBFan said:

If your in then Mrs. CBFan and I would like to join.

I will make an independent thread next week to draw better attention to it. I wish we held tailgates for every weekend game, especially in conference play. 

Just thought of this, has anyone ever seen a player average less than 10 ppg with the kind of highlight package that Nesbitt has? Because I can’t think of one. He’s pulled off so much crazy stuff this season it’s hard to believe he doesn’t do it more consistently. Once he puts it all together, he’s definitely an A10 POY threat. 

Just now, NoCoBillsFan said:

Just thought of this, has anyone ever seen a player average less than 10 ppg with the kind of highlight package that Nesbitt has? Because I can’t think of one. He’s pulled off so much crazy stuff this season it’s hard to believe he doesn’t do it more consistently. Once he puts it all together, he’s definitely an A10 POY threat. 

totally agree.   i think if he was elevated to a higher level of goto by ford and yuri he would be showing more.   he is so loaded with potential that as you said, we have had peeks at throughout the year.   hope ford works with him over the summer and keeps him happy.   imo the best talent he might have ever recruited.  

NoCoBillsFan likes this

12 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

He just doesn’t shoot enough, or have a takeover mentality’s his skill is there already.  I could see him having a GJ like jump next year 

22 minutes ago, wgstl said:

He just doesn’t shoot enough, or have a takeover mentality’s his skill is there already.  I could see him having a GJ like jump next year 

As 3 star has pointed out he doesn't have a mid range game and his 3 point shot is a work in progress. Potential yes, but he needs to work on his weaknesses. 

47 minutes ago, wgstl said:

considering ford's knack for yanking players, i would assume his "doesnt shoot enough" is tied to direction from ford plus it is pretty obvious he is currently sentenced to "go stand in the corner and if yuri needs you he will come and find you".   all jnes needs is a green light from ford and ford to redirect the priority scoring loads and jnes numbers would go up. 

the one game that sticks out was the one where ford benched him for almost the entire first half.   you could tell nesbitt was not a happy guy walking off at halftime.   he comes out the second half with a "I dont care i am scoring" chip on his shoulder and went nuts.   he can be that guy all the time.   just take the shackles off. 

30 minutes ago, willie said:

As 3 star has pointed out he doesn't have a mid range game and his 3 point shot is a work in progress. Potential yes, but he needs to work on his weaknesses. 

Adding the mid-range would change everything.  Nesbitt routinely beats his man off the dribble but instead of pulling up for the 12-15 footer -- he drives straight into the shot blocker and throws up a wild attempt.  Every team in the A10 knows what he's trying to do.  I applaud Nesbitt for attacking the rim but he has to mix it up sometimes to throw the defense off balance.

In high school, Nesbitt didn't need a mid-range game.  He didn't need the ability to evade shot blockers by using angles, switching hands or adding loft to a layup attempt.  Whenever he adds those skills to his game, this league is in trouble.

cgeldmacher likes this

24 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Adding the mid-range would change everything.  Nesbitt routinely beats his man off the dribble but instead of pulling up for the 12-15 footer -- he drives straight into the shot blocker and throws up a wild attempt.  Every team in the A10 knows what he's trying to do.  I applaud Nesbitt for attacking the rim but he has to mix it up sometimes to throw the defense off balance.

In high school, Nesbitt didn't need a mid-range game.  He didn't need the ability to evade shot blockers by using angles, switching hands or adding loft to a layup attempt.  Whenever he adds those skills to his game, this league is in trouble.

To take that a step further, the best players in college basketball can hit threes, hit mid range pull up jumpers, and take the ball to the rim.  If you can do all three, and the defense doesn't know what to try to take away, you are going to have the most success.  I think every college basketball player who has dreams of playing at the next level needs to develop a mid range jumper.

1 hour ago, willie said:

His midrange shot% is actually pretty solid, esp for being a frosh. 

43 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think Nesbitt needs to be more aggressive at finishing at the rim as well. Every time he drives he looks to draw contact, which leads to the wild attempts you mentioned. He has the ability to finish over and through defenders and I wish he'd use it more. He also could take a page from Fred and work on his two-feet finishing and shot fakes around the basket.

Right now Nesbitt's offense is almost exclusively open 3s and transition baskets. I think shooting more free throws, mid-range game and even posting up smaller defenders are all avenues where he could improve.

sorta as a few have said, Nesbitt drives to the rim with rather ease.  The issue is he looks for contact, and defenders just let him go up and so he throw's his body around and take's wild shots. He needs to understand that teams are literally allowing him to go up uncontested. 

rgbilliken likes this

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

His midrange shot% is actually pretty solid, esp for being a frosh. 

Nesbitt has taken very few mid-range jumpers all year.  His 2 pt percentage is largely his layup conversion rate.

Bones Hyland went from a 43% shooter from 2 point range to 54% shooter from 2 once he learned the finer points of keeping defenses off balance.  Some guys are quick studies, some guys take a couple of years.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Nesbitt has taken very few mid-range jumpers all year.  His 2 pt percentage is largely his layup conversion rate.

Bones Hyland went from a 43% shooter from 2 point range to 54% shooter from 2 once he learned the finer points of keeping defenses off balance.  Some guys are quick studies, some guys take a couple of years.

shot quality doesn't let me view stats anymore, I think I went on the site too many times without an account.. Any who, the last time I went on it a few weeks ago, he had a pretty decent "deep 2" shot %. Don't remember what it was but I was impressed.  I don't think the issue his is ability to make it, but the fact he doesn't shoot it enough. 

On 2/22/2022 at 8:47 AM, NH said:

I agree with what you said about TJ gaining weight and looking a little less quick. He needs to get back to being that ball of energy he was his first two years (blocking shots, offensive rebounding, deflections, etc.) But I’ve also watched a lot of Nick Kramer the past 3 years and I can guarantee you that he’s not going to be taking any minutes from Hargrove. I would be really surprised if Kramer does not follow the Lorentsson path of watching and learning for his first season or two. 

Were you one on the talent evaluators who said YC wouldn’t play significant minutes until he was a jr??? There were many who said that. I agree with Roy on Kramer, and I have saw him play numerous  times.  By the way, I said Collins was a day one starter... not that it took much sense to realize that...

32 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Were you one on the talent evaluators who said YC wouldn’t play significant minutes until he was a jr??? There were many who said that. I agree with Roy on Kramer, and I have saw him play numerous  times.  By the way, I said Collins was a day one starter... not that it took much sense to realize that...

Do you see Kramer in the Ford 8 next year?

9 minutes ago, DOC said:

Do you see Kramer in the Ford 8 next year?

Hopefully it’s in the Ford top 10, no need not to with that much talent. My point is that he’s a player with talent. He has a great shot and is tough like Roy indicates. He knows how to take the ball to the basket if necessary, something which took Jimerson a while to figure out. 

DOC likes this