2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

14 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Let's go with that.  If Coach Ford sticks around for another four seasons and maintains the same winning percentage he has the last three seasons, he will be the winningest coach since Eddie Hickey.  MBM expectations (including mine) are nowhere near our historical reality.  

Coach Ford will be #2 in wins after three more seasons. He only needs 59 to pass Grawer.

3star_recruit likes this

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

Getting back to the season, I think the Bills are ready to go on a run. Drama of COVID has passed. Linßen getting back close to where he was. Fred and Nesbitt are improving. Jimerson is the go-to scorer. I think we blow away all of the competition, get revenge against Dayton, and the matchup on 2/12 against Davidson is for first place in the A-!0. Go Bills.

Im going to wait and see if we can win on the road before getting to this point. 

willie likes this

3 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

Getting back to the season, I think the Bills are ready to go on a run. Drama of COVID has passed. Linßen getting back close to where he was. Fred and Nesbitt are improving. Jimerson is the go-to scorer. I think we blow away all of the competition, get revenge against Dayton, and the matchup on 2/12 against Davidson is for first place in the A-!0. Go Bills.

I was hoping that exact run you describe would begin with the Fordham game.

Crewsorlose likes this

Just now, HoosierPal said:

St. Bonnie game rescheduled.  Happy Valentine's Day!

This is actually best case scenario imo. 

1) Its extremely important we win at least one of these.  And we have the first game at home. Schmidt is a smart coach, and I bet he makes better adjustments between the two outings. Meaning, I'd worry more if we first played there and loss, and he makes the adjustments to beat us again at home. 

2) Even though its 3 days, still not a ton of rest time, especially for a team that only plays 5. 

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This is actually best case scenario imo. 

1) Its extremely important we win at least one of these.  And we have the first game at home. Schmidt is a smart coach, and I bet he makes better adjustments between the two outings. Meaning, I'd worry more if we first played there and loss, and he makes the adjustments to beat us again at home. 

2) Even though its 3 days, still not a ton of rest time, especially for a team that only plays 5. 

Yea I agree.  Back to back games now with the Bonnies. Let's hope we don't lay an egg like we did on our last back to back.  Maybe they will share a bus with us on the trip from the airport to Olean.

If you are looking at Schmidt playing his 5 deep, Ford is doing the same to Jimerson and Collins.  In the past 9 games Jimerson has averaged 37 minutes per game and Collins 36 mpg.  That includes two games were Collins was on the bench for a spell with foul trouble.  And we know Collins minutes are 'tough' minutes bringing the ball up with constant pressure.  Need to keep an eye on those two wearing out as our schedule gets compacted.  Yesterday's blowout allowed both to sit the last few minutes of the game.

6 hours ago, brianstl said:

SLU isn't unique in this since.  SLU is part of a group of eight private schools that were legitimate basketball powers in the 50's through the mid 60's that completely fell apart during the late 60's heading into the 70's as they didn't keep up with other programs on dedicating resources to the basketball program.  They were SLU, La Salle, Bradley, Seattle, Holy Cross, Oklahoma City, the Bonnies and Duquesne.

You could add San Francisco and DePaul to that list. They kept their programs achieving a decade or two longer but eventually found themselves in the same position.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

This is the spot that I thought a game would fit best.

I suggested 2/13 but I'd imagine CBS isn't interested in having a game on Super Bowl Sunday.  I didn't think about that when I suggested 2/13.  Glad they moved our LaSalle game back to accommodate the 2/14 date. 

I still don't understand why they wouldn't flip the 2/11 game to be @ St. Bonaventure and have the 2/14 game be at Chaifetz.  I know that kinda sucks for SLU fans who'd rather have a Friday evening game instead of a late Monday afternoon game, but it would make SLU's travel schedule a lot better.  As is, they'll go Philly to St. Louis to Olean to St. Louis instead of just Philly to Olean to St. Louis.  TV might have something to do with it as well if ESPN didn't want to send a crew to Olean for the Friday game.

I like it. The schedule has basically been made whole, barring further postponements/cancellations, with the only opponent change being Iona at home instead of Drake on a neutral floor.

The only weird thing here is the game time - 5:00 Eastern/4:00 Central.

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I like it. The schedule has basically been made whole, barring further postponements/cancellations, with the only opponent change being Iona at home instead of Drake on a neutral floor.

The only weird thing here is the game time - 5:00 Eastern/4:00 Central.

Honestly probably a win for us. The gym maybe won't be AS full with the early(ish) start

Some interesting things I've noticed, and at least one of these stats I'm ashamed of: Dunking. 

We're 13th/14 conf in Dunking %. I'm not talking attempts. Between Fred, THJ, nesbitt and Okoro I thought we would have a pretty decent dunking %.

In "close 2's" we rank 12/14

In "far 2's" we rank 11/14

On defense we rank 11th in stopping "close 2's" 

And while we're 4th in 3's, we're 3rd in 3 point defense. 

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Some interesting things I've noticed, and at least one of these stats I'm ashamed of: Dunking. 

We're 13th/14 conf in Dunking %. I'm not talking attempts. Between Fred, THJ, nesbitt and Okoro I thought we would have a pretty decent dunking %.

In "close 2's" we rank 12/14

In "far 2's" we rank 11/14

On defense we rank 11th in stopping "close 2's" 

And while we're 4th in 3's, we're 3rd in 3 point defense. 

I'm a big fan of the ShotQuality website. In general, I have been surprised on how high SLU has ranked on the ShotQuality leaderboards the last couple of years. If you buy into these metrics, it's a good sign regarding the coaching staff. 

One thing I like about ShotQuality is that it refutes the generalization a lot of analytics people make about mid-range shots being terrible. Davidson has the second lowest rim and 3 rate, but also the second best offensive shot quality. Fordham has the highest rim and 3 rate, but the 10th best offensive shot quality.

In terms of dunks, Jimerson has missed a dunk, Okoro has missed 6, Nesbitt 2, Hargrove 3, so it's not that shocking that our dunk percentage is a little low. 

I posted the below graphic a while ago, but you can see the below values for how ShotQuality determines the SQ calculation (unadjusted):

article_6_2.d7c3cb86.png

rgbilliken and majerus mojo like this

6 minutes ago, NH said:

I'm a big fan of the ShotQuality website. In general, I have been surprised on how high SLU has ranked on the ShotQuality leaderboards the last couple of years. If you buy into these metrics, it's a good sign regarding the coaching staff. 

One thing I like about ShotQuality is that it refutes the generalization a lot of analytics people make about mid-range shots being terrible. Davidson has the second lowest rim and 3 rate, but also the second best offensive shot quality. Fordham has the highest rim and 3 rate, but the 10th best offensive shot quality.

In terms of dunks, Jimerson has missed a dunk, Okoro has missed 6, Nesbitt 2, Hargrove 3, so it's not that shocking that our dunk percentage is a little low. 

I posted the below graphic a while ago, but you can see the below values for how ShotQuality determines the SQ calculation (unadjusted):

article_6_2.d7c3cb86.png

FYI I used  T-rank for drunk, close and far stats. Not SQ

20 minutes ago, NH said:

article_6_2.d7c3cb86.png

I question how accurate / clean these numbers are for NCAA teams.  I'd argue that an unguarded mid-range shot is a better quality than a heavily contested 3 pointer on average, but the numbers above seem to have no distinction for defense except on 3s.  

I believe NBA has player tracking tech in all their arenas, so the shot quality type stats are much better because you can factor in how closely defended the shots are with objective measurements.  All these college stats have to just be some dude watching the game & judging each shot, right? 

Was thinking about the Bills this morning and came to the realization that there are a lot of parallels between this year's team and the Bully Bills from 2019-20 even though the skillsets of each team are wildly different. Here's the list:

1. Underperforming A-10 team ranked in the pre-season while a new dominant team emerges: VCU & Dayton in 19-20, St. B and Davidson this season

2. Loss of stars from the year prior: Isabell and Bess in 19-20, Goodwin and French this season

3. Injuries to key players: Thatch and Jimerson in 19-20, Perkins and Linssen this season

4. Big OOC road losses to (at the time) ranked teams: Florida St. (19-20) and Memphis (this season)

5. Good road wins that aren't enough to put us in the at-large conversation: Rhode Island (19-20) and Boise St. (this season)

6. Frustrating and winnable conf. road losses: Duquesne (19-20) and Dayton (this season)

7. Head-scratching road losses: Umass both seasons

8. Close home losses after being up big against eventual top-3 teams with a lottery pick on the roster. Both teams were ranked 13th at the time we played them: Dayton / Obi Toppin in 19-20 and Auburn / Jabari Smith this year

9. Emergence of a new leading scorer: Perkins (19-20) and Jimerson (this season)

10. Key starters that are only freshman: Yuri (19-20) and Nesbitt (this season)

So, in order to recreate the run that we had at the end of last year, what do we need to do?

1. Find an identity and stick with it while finding more consistency. By the end of the season in 19-20, we knew that we couldn't shoot and had to play defense and rebound in order to win. Recognizing that along with the extra offense from Perkins allowed us to become consistent and get as hot as we did. The team now is stuck in a transition period too. We have a lot more shooting and offensive talent but it's inconsistent. Our rebounding and defense is solid, but as we've seen in games against UMass and UAB we are inconsistent on those facets as well. I think that the team just needs more time together to work out those kinks and can get on a roll. After all, most Ford teams take time to mesh and perform better towards the end of the year.

2. Breakout of a new star. Like I mentioned above, Javonte's breakout last season allowed us to find missing offense. I think that the game on Sunday showed that Nesbitt can be just as big of a factor. If he continues to play the same way the rest of the season, we will be a force. 

TLDR: This is a team transitioning between identities like we saw 2 years ago. I think that there's a good chance that we will see a similar run at the end of the season. 

2 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-guess bball is a 5 person on the court and some number of suits game as we've lost two with those stats

What? Are you saying 5 people play at 1 time?  You clearly have a deeper understanding of the game than most posters