2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Here is another thought on this issue. What other names on that list inherited the project that Crews left Ford? Was the program ever that far down?

That’s correct the Crews years were as bad or worse than we’ve been in 30 years

8 minutes ago, Compton said:

9-13 (.409) from Fall 2018 through March 2021. 9-15 (.375) from Fall 2018 through today.

Ok, so looking a more ‘true winning road percentage’, giving losses to the preceding coach where appropriate and wins where appropriate, Ford is probably #2 or 3, with Majerus at #1. Spoonhour, Grawer, and Romar were not in the A10, so it is not really fair to add them. 

Reading that Boise St has won 12 in a row since we beat them and Auburn now a #1 seed who we had on the ropes, is proof this team has potential. That said, it hasn’t been fully realized. The question becomes why aren’t we trending up at this point? The losses at DU and especially at UMass should not have happened to this team given the Boise and Auburn games. I’m reminded of Vince Lombardi’s reminder to Packer players, “if you do it once you can do it all the time if you give your best effort.” Our guys need to heed this. 

SLU_Nick likes this

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

Reading that Boise St has won 12 in a row since we beat them and Auburn now a #1 seed who we had on the ropes, is proof this team has potential. That said, it hasn’t been fully realized. The question becomes why aren’t we trending up at this point? The losses at DU and especially at UMass should not have happened to this team given the Boise and Auburn games. I’m reminded of Vince Lombardi’s reminder to Packer players, “if you do it once you can do it all the time if you give your best effort.” Our guys need to heed this. 

Every year we see crazy stuff happening in the first semester of college basketball.  And every year we try to use this as predictor if it happens in the second semester.  They're two different seasons. 

In 50 years of SLU basketball we have three seasons where we had great conference records.  Yet we hold on to those seasons as some kind of benchmark for how we operate.  They are aberrations.  If a non-Majerus team were to win over 75% (14-4) of its conference games, we should throw a ticker tape parade.

slufanskip and almaman like this

On 1/21/2022 at 4:29 PM, HoosierPal said:

I'm taking the over that it does happen, unless there is another wave of postponements or if the league decides to not reschedule a slew of games.  I have no idea if they have to date rescheduled all postponed games except this one.

And I have no idea when it will be played.  I'll let the league figure it out.

What if a 4/5 placement in the standings is at stake (for any A10 team), and this game a difference maker.  It will be a factor in final NET, and could be a difference maker of an NIT bid (no longer a NCAA bid) or an early spring vacation.

You list 2/17 as a possible date, and a bad date for SLU.  St. B plays UMass on the 16th and then Duquesne on the 19th.  That would be 3 games in 4 days for them.

I didn't list 2/17 as a possible date that was you:

On 1/21/2022 at 9:39 AM, HoosierPal said:

At St. Bonnie will be in there somewhere, maybe right before Davidson, maybe somewhere else.

Davidson is 2/19, so I assumed you were talking about 2/17 as a possible date.

I think the back-to-back vs Bona with the currently scheduled game flipping to an away game & the game at Chaifetz to follow is more realistic.

3 hours ago, Brighton said:

Grawer easily had the most difficult job of them all. He had to turn around a program that hadn’t had a winning season from 1971-1986 and was on the verge of being demoted to DII. Ford has underachieved in a much weaker Atlantic 10.

Let's go with that.  If Coach Ford sticks around for another four seasons and maintains the same winning percentage he has the last three seasons, he will be the winningest coach since Eddie Hickey.  MBM expectations (including mine) are nowhere near our historical reality.  

slufanskip and RUBillsFan like this

32 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Let's go with that.  If Coach Ford sticks around for another four seasons and maintains the same winning percentage he has the last three seasons, he will be the winningest coach since Eddie Hickey.  MBM expectations (including mine) are nowhere near our historical reality.  

Not disagreeing with you but  I would  counter that our resources have never been higher. We should be at the top or near the top of the A-10 every year. 

Bills71 and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hickey won a national title, Ford has 1 NCAA Tournament win in 25 years as a coach. One, and is 0-9 against ranked programs since his first season in Saint Louis.  The Atlantic 10 is weaker now than it's ever been in its history. We're tired of the excuses.

42 minutes ago, willie said:

Not disagreeing with you but  I would  counter that our resources have never been higher. We should be at the top or near the top of the A-10 every year. 

This. Ford doesn't have Marquette, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati, etc. in his face every year. 

20 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Hickey won a national title, Ford has 1 NCAA Tournament win in 25 years as a coach. One, and is 0-9 against ranked programs since his first season in Saint Louis.  The Atlantic 10 is weaker now than it's ever been in its history. We're tired of the excuses.

I've accepted your premise for the purposes of this discussion.  Coach Ford is an underachiever.  And the fact that he'll still be winningest coach since the Truman administration tells you everything you need to know about our program. 

The only time we've been a perennial top 3 program in any of our various conferences in the past 70 years is when we paid a Hall of Fame coach to do it.  Why is that?

billiken_roy and almaman like this

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I've accepted your premise for the purposes of this discussion.  Coach Ford is an underachiever.  And the fact that he'll still be winningest coach since the Truman administration tells you everything you need to know about our program. 

The only time we've been a perennial top 3 program in any of our various conferences in the past 70 years is when we paid a Hall of Fame coach to do it.  Why is that?

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Is it that you believe our program is mediocre and that it always will be? Yes, for many years we did not pay for the resources to be a top program. That is not the cases today. For what it worth I think Ford can and will take us to the top but that doesn’t mean he is above criticism. 

drkelsey55 likes this

1 hour ago, willie said:

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Is it that you believe our program is mediocre and that it always will be? Yes, for many years we did not pay for the resources to be a top program. That is not the cases today. For what it worth I think Ford can and will take us to the top but that doesn’t mean he is above criticism. 

I'm trying to understand why the program gradually fell into mediocrity after Eddie Hickey.  Are you saying we had the resources to be a top program in 1955 but didn't only a few years later?  Because the only constant I see is when we have a Hall of Fame coach we're a top program and when we don't, we don't.

9 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm trying to understand why the program gradually fell into mediocrity after Eddie Hickey.  Are you saying we had the resources to be a top program in 1955 but didn't only a few years later?  Because the only constant I see is when we have a Hall of Fame coach we're a top program and when we don't, we don't.

Absolutely. In 1955 our resources were equal to other programs. We recruited and signed good local players. The game/recruiting changed. Players didn't necessarily stay home. We didn't upgrade to stay with other programs. We went on the cheap to the point of almost  dropping the program. By the way the university almost went broke in the early 80's. We didn't hire top notch coaches. [I don't put Grawer in that category] Biondi talked of a top 50 program but didn't give the resources necessary to do it. I think that has changed with Fred and May. Fred is allowing May to do what is necessary to compete. Time will tell but I  don't think we are relegated to mediocrity. 

3star_recruit likes this

18 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

SLU isn't unique in this.  SLU is part of a group of eight private schools that were legitimate basketball powers in the 50's through the mid 60's that completely fell apart during the late 60's heading into the 70's as they didn't keep up with other programs on dedicating resources to the basketball program.  They were SLU, La Salle, Bradley, Seattle, Holy Cross, Oklahoma City, the Bonnies and Duquesne.

Matty Light likes this

Getting back to the season, I think the Bills are ready to go on a run. Drama of COVID has passed. Linßen getting back close to where he was. Fred and Nesbitt are improving. Jimerson is the go-to scorer. I think we blow away all of the competition, get revenge against Dayton, and the matchup on 2/12 against Davidson is for first place in the A-!0. Go Bills.

15 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Getting back to the season, I think the Bills are ready to go on a run. Drama of COVID has passed. Linßen getting back close to where he was. Fred and Nesbitt are improving. Jimerson is the go-to scorer. I think we blow away all of the competition, get revenge against Dayton, and the matchup on 2/12 against Davidson is for first place in the A-!0. Go Bills.

If the bills prioritize defense and rebounding, watch out. 

billiken_roy likes this