2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Jimerson has shot more FTs this year partially because he is our go to guy late in the game when we are leading by a small margin & teams are looking to foul.  Perkins got the ball in those situations last year.  That's not to say Jimerson hasn't done a better job drawing fouls this season.  He absolutely has.  Like everything else there are shades of gray here.

I said this before, I'd like to see him be more aggressive pushing off defenders and pushing or bumping defenders into screens to create space for himself on the perimeter especially when teams are being aggressive holding / pushing him.  He very rarely commits fouls himself (1.3 per 40 mins this season, 1.4 last season), so I'm not at all worried about him getting in foul trouble by picking up offensive fouls. 

Someone did say they think Gibson often misses big shots late in games.  That's pretty light in terms of criticism, but I also don't think it is entirely valid.  I think this is primarily recency bias since he missed a 3 late against Iona, but there are some other examples of him missing shots late.  Important to remember though that even the best all time 3 pt shooters miss well over half their 3 pt shots.  I still absolutely want him taking those shots.

In no way do I think that any of this is turning him into the racially problematic term you used to describe what you perceive as MBMs bashing him.

can you at least try to be honest...it was more than one person who talked about him missing shots....as for the post being racially problematic, all i can say is you must be one sick individual......

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

That was me. I've kept a mental note and he hit one big ish one this year can't remember who it was against. But yes he's missed quite a few chances at daggers this year and last year. Now am I saying I don't want him to be the one taking those shots, absolutely not. I want him to take em every time because I have confidence that he will start to hit them and even if he doesn't. Shooters shoot.  

I bring it up in every game day thread and have kept a mental note. He’s missed big open shots late against Iona, Auburn, and UAB that I can remember off of the top of my head. I’m probably missing some too. It was the same way last season with the exception of the LSU game.

Belmont is the only game where he made a big shot late this year, which was a fadeaway three over a double team (which was an absolutely crazy shot that he deserves kudos for). That combined with a huge Nesbitt steal is what kept us in the game with less than 30 seconds left. 

I think Jimerson is a great player and deserves praise for what he’s done this year. But I think him missing big shots is a fair point to make, especially when he’s been tasked with shooting them almost every game.

41 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

In no way do I think that any of this is turning him into the racially problematic term you used to describe what you perceive as MBMs bashing him.

37 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Racially problematic?

He's referring to the whipping boy comment. RU, you've really got to grow some thicker skin - your bones are showing. 

47 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

You just crossed waaaaaaay over the line. A sure sign someone is losing a debate is when they resort to character assassination.  Playing the race card...really???? Have you no shame at all???

17 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

He's referring to the whipping boy comment. RU, you've really got to grow some thicker skin - your bones are showing. 

IMO given the majority of the players on our team are black, we should avoid using terms that could in any way be seen as racially problematic for black people.  In my head, that term fits the description to a T.

I wasn't trying to pull a race card to win a debate (is hoping one of our players adds to his offensive capabilities a debate?) nor am I personally offended by the comment.

6 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

image.jpeg.830c9cf976601bbbd939d1aed2667936.jpeg

RUBillsFan was born with glass bones and paper skin. Every morning he fabricates racial insensitivity and every afternoon he feigns victim to anti-maskers. Every night he cries himself to sleep over the evils of capitalism. 

Christ.  This board is becoming a cesspool.

It's fine to say you don't think that's racially problematic or disagree on whatever we're even disagreeing about regarding Jimerson, but personal attacks should NEVER be welcome here.

5 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

IMO given the majority of the players on our team are black, we should avoid using terms that could in any way be seen as racially problematic for black people.  In my head, that term fits the description to a T.

I wasn't trying to pull a race card to win a debate (is hoping one of our players adds to his offensive capabilities a debate?) nor am I personally offended by the comment.

🙄

Id also like to see Jimerson take more 3s. I know that he’s being face guarded every game, but I really have no problem with him taking more 3s off the dribble or deeper 3s in transition. He has the ability to break the game open with his shooting and I hope we see more of that as the season progresses.

RUBillsFan likes this

13 minutes ago, NH said:

Id also like to see Jimerson take more 3s. I know that he’s being face guarded every game, but I really have no problem with him taking more 3s off the dribble or deeper 3s in transition. He has the ability to break the game open with his shooting and I hope we see more of that as the season progresses.

Jimerson (and Jacobs among others) made a ton of deep 3s when we played Tulane at the Suns Arena because he was consistently shooting behind the NBA line.  I imagine having that line on the floor makes it "easier" to take those shots.  I'd love it for him to take deeper threes if it means getting a cleaner look & also providing more space for his teammates to work inside.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Jimerson (and Jacobs among others) made a ton of deep 3s when we played Tulane at the Suns Arena because he was consistently shooting behind the NBA line.  I imagine having that line on the floor makes it "easier" to take those shots.  I'd love it for him to take deeper threes if it means getting a cleaner look & also providing more space for his teammates to work inside.

even @ nba range he had very few chances vs Iona. they were on him past center all day.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Good catch. Forgot this was played on an NBA court. I bet that has everything to do with it. 100% affects your spacing. 

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Also GJ's 3% is right back at 39% that didnt take long. Also joining in the fun was TJH and is 38% from deep

Frustrated that we didn't go full-auto from deep last night. Just cross half court and let 'em fly. Clearly our inside offense wasn't going to get the job done so if we were going to die why not at least die trying? 

2 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Frustrated that we didn't go full-auto from deep last night. Just cross half court and let 'em fly. Clearly our inside offense wasn't going to get the job done so if we were going to die why not at least die trying? 

Would also like to re-watch this part too.  I can remember a few (too many times) where we would quickly get the ball up, and either Nesbitt, GJ, or THJ would hold the ball roughly a few feet from 3 and wait till everyone got up to set a play.  Why I'm confused is, aren't we the type that likes to run, run , run. Why did we just stop and wait for the half court offense to set?

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Would also like to re-watch this part too.  I can remember a few (too many times) where we would quickly get the ball up, and either Nesbitt, GJ, or THJ would hold the ball roughly a few feet from 3 and wait till everyone got up to set a play.  Why I'm confused is, aren't we the type that likes to run, run , run. Why did we just stop and wait for the half court offense to set?

I think Ford is like a lot of coaches, they say they want to play fast ,but they really don't ,especially on the road. 

slufan13 likes this

Next four games;  we can win them all.  This is probably the easiest 4 game stretch we have left.

Home v Fordham

At UMass

Home v UMass

Home v George Washington.

We go to Duquesne and then to George Mason following the GW game.  If we continue as a .500 team away from Chaifetz, those two games could be dicey.

With four to six teams capable of winning the league, finishing Top 4 is a priority.

In my opinion, for this team to be successful, we will need to make a bit of a transition that may cost us some wins this year, but will pay off on the future.  Right now, every team knows that Yuri is the engine that makes our offense go.  The fact that he does all the ball handling and distributing for us is both good and bad.  It's good when he does the amazing things that he does to get guys easy baskets, but bad when at team game plans to remove him via double team or zone or if he gets in foul trouble.  Jones hasn't shown the ability to run the offense from the point.

Here is what I think needs to happen to maximize this team's potential.  Nesbitt needs to start getting time handling the ball and running the offense with instructions to create when he does.  We've seen his talent level.  He can beat his defender at the top of the key no problem.  However, when he heads to the basket, it is only with a mind to score.  I think the coaches need to pull him aside and say that they are going to put the ball in his hands more, but that he needs to pass the ball much more often than he does now once he gets in the lane.  As with any freshman, this is going to require some transition and a learning curve.  However, I think we need the distribution to come from two sources and not just one, albeit an incredibly talented one.

If we bite the bullet and allow Nesbitt to learn this in the middle of the conference season, we will go into next season with two incredibly talented ball handlers that can both drive and dish (or score).  I think that we are much better served having that ready going into next season when Perkins returns.  We may have to sacrifice this season to get there for the greater good.

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

In my opinion, for this team to be successful, we will need to make a bit of a transition that may cost us some wins this year, but will pay off on the future.  Right now, every team knows that Yuri is the engine that makes our offense go.  The fact that he does all the ball handling and distributing for us is both good and bad.  It's good when he does the amazing things that he does to get guys easy baskets, but bad when at team game plans to remove him via double team or zone or if he gets in foul trouble.  Jones hasn't shown the ability to run the offense from the point.

Here is what I think needs to happen to maximize this team's potential.  Nesbitt needs to start getting time handling the ball and running the offense with instructions to create when he does.  We've seen his talent level.  He can beat his defender at the top of the key no problem.  However, when he heads to the basket, it is only with a mind to score.  I think the coaches need to pull him aside and say that they are going to put the ball in his hands more, but that he needs to pass the ball much more often than he does now once he gets in the lane.  As with any freshman, this is going to require some transition and a learning curve.  However, I think we need the distribution to come from two sources and not just one, albeit an incredibly talented one.

If we bite the bullet and allow Nesbitt to learn this in the middle of the conference season, we will go into next season with two incredibly talented ball handlers that can both drive and dish (or score).  I think that we are much better served having that ready going into next season when Perkins returns.  We may have to sacrifice this season to get there for the greater good.

Jones does not handle the pressure well at all. He has trouble with the press. I actually thought Fred handled the press fairly well. He used the pass to throw over it vs the dribble. 

18 minutes ago, willie said:

Jones does not handle the pressure well at all. He has trouble with the press. I actually thought Fred handled the press fairly well. He used the pass to throw over it vs the dribble. 

besides being small jones is physically weak compared to the rest of the team imo.   his progress the last few weeks has regressed imo.   he had a decent start to the season and i dont know why it seems he has regressed.   i now am not comfortable with him in the game particularly when you have a team playing physical defense.   

i too would prefer nesbit be the second point guard.   and i defintely dont want him and yuri in the game at the same time.   too much size issue imo.

RUBillsFan likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

besides being small jones is physically weak compared to the rest of the team imo.   his progress the last few weeks has regressed imo.   he had a decent start to the season and i dont know why it seems he has regressed.   i now am not comfortable with him in the game particularly when you have a team playing physical defense.   

i too would prefer nesbit be the second point guard.   and i defintely dont want him and yuri in the game at the same time.   too much size issue imo.

It is just two games. I would not count him out. He played bad against Iona, and they went after him. He played scared against Dayton. He will get back on track. That said, we need Nesbitt or another option if a team can Iona him.