2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

GJ has gotten almost zero open looks the last 6, 7, maybe even 8 games.  Yet he is still attempting a handful a game... meaning hes taking a lot of difficult shots.  If these were wide-open looks Im willing to bet he would be at or over 40%

My only complaint with GJ’s shots over the past few years is why he is not taking NBA range threes. If he hits 75% in practice at normal threes, start practicing super deep threes. It can really spread the court for Collins, and make it impossible to guard GJ, and the rest of our guards. 3-5 feet can make a massive difference.

rgbilliken likes this

4 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

My only complaint with GJ’s shots over the past few years is why he is not taking NBA range threes. If he hits 75% in practice at normal threes, start practicing super deep threes. It can really spread the court for Collins, and make it impossible to guard GJ, and the rest of our guards. 3-5 feet can make a massive difference.

I'd bet it's the coaching staff telling him not to. He's such a pure shooter that he has to feel comfortable taking those, so the fact that he isn't is likely because he's being prevented from doing so. 

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Gibson needs to learn how to better sell to the refs the fact he is getting held and manhandled constantly.  He starts getting more of those calls and the guys assigned him start getting in foul trouble, he will get more open looks.

Yep... Hate to suggest flopping but he could definitely get a few of those a game with how much grabbing he deals with. 

brianstl likes this

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

GJ has gotten almost zero open looks the last 6, 7, maybe even 8 games.  Yet he is still attempting a handful a game... meaning hes taking a lot of difficult shots.  If these were wide-open looks Im willing to bet he would be at or over 40%

Again, he got his fair share of open looks against Belmont and in particular, Boston College  (the game where Yuri carved them up for 19 assists).  It's the teams with the big athletic guards -- UAB, Auburn, Iona -- that take away his open looks.  The Daytons, VCUs and St. Bonaventures will likely cause him similar problems.  He'll get his open looks against the teams that don't guard at a high level.

Pistol likes this

15 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I'd bet it's the coaching staff telling him not to. He's such a pure shooter that he has to feel comfortable taking those, so the fact that he isn't is likely because he's being prevented from doing so. 

That is what I am scared of too. Unless his percentage drops below 34% at that distance, it does not make much sense.

2 hours ago, bauman said:

Then why isn't he making them?  We need him in the 40-44% range to win the Conference.  I used to feel confident when he put up a shot from the arc, now not at all.

Because shooting a basketball is difficult? 

I am not disagreeing that i would like him to hit a higher clip.  I am just saying, what other option do we have? Would you rather have Fred Thatch try to create his own shot or Yuri drive into the trees and try to finish.  If Jimerson has a shot he must shoot it.  I do not care if he is 30%.  

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Gibson needs to learn how to better sell to the refs the fact he is getting held and manhandled constantly.  He starts getting more of those calls and the guys assigned him start getting in foul trouble, he will get more open looks.

He leads the team in ft attempts with 64, don’t understand the criticism...

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Better yet he needs to learn how to fight through those situations, run guys through picks, or push back.  Ref's aren't going to give one guy a different call than the other nine.

19 minutes ago, almaman said:

our leading scorer who has a target on his back sure getting some tuffluv round here. I am amazed how well he's playing. 

pretty high expectations for a guy that couldnt get in the game the second half of last year.   personally i love when jimmerson plays and my level of billiken excitement goes up when either jimerson or nesbitt get the ball.   

AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Don’t think it’s criticism but instead thinking about what Jimerson could do to shake defenders that are constantly pressing and grabbing him to keep him from getting open.

14 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Don’t think it’s criticism but instead thinking about what Jimerson could do to shake defenders that are constantly pressing and grabbing him to keep him from getting open.

does seem like he'd be in prime situation to pick up some assists, maybe back door jam passes or back to our 3pt expert, oh wait a minute......

25 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Again, he’s leading the team in ft attempts, on a team that’s leading the country  in free throws...he’s doing exactly what he should be doing with tight coverage, and that’s attack the basket...

dennis_w and NoCoBillsFan like this

2 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

First off it wasn’t really a criticism.  It was an observation.  Second, the fouls he is drawing are often not on the person guarding him on the perimeter, but normally on a person helping out as he drives to the basket.  

I love what Gibson has done with his game this year.  The question people were asking was how he could get more open looks from the outside.  One way to do that is by drawing more fouls on the players guarding him on the perimeter. Forcing them to reduce all the clutching and grabbing he currently is experiencing.