2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

2 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

They’ll put the game on if you ask for it, but with the exception of ranked matchups or tournaments, they don’t really do events or anything dedicated towards SLU fans. 

Thanks for the info. Looks like the Illini play 11th ranked Arizona at the same time as the SLU game. Hopefully I'll be able to find a bar with a 20 inch Zenith in the corner that they'd be willing to change to the SLU game for me.

2 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

If you're a Twitter guy reach out to @ WestPineBills , the two of them are Chicago guys and would be fully equipped to answer that question. I know at least one of them posts on the board but I don't know his username. 

I'll check him out, thanks

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

If I needed a 3, YC, RW, GJ, JN, ML.  Spread it out with ML underneath.   YC has the ball with GJ as option 1 and RW as option 2.  ML is there for rebound but 3 PT attempts often have long rebounds.   Plus if you spread it out it opens up the paint. 

Just an option for a team that needed 3PTs.  There's many ways to win.   Just throwing out an option to use RW in a very specific scenario. 

Plus you chances are higher of hitting a decent look 3pt than grabbing the offensive rebound off a miss.

11 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

If I needed a 3, YC, RW, GJ, JN, ML.  Spread it out with ML underneath.   YC has the ball with GJ as option 1 and RW as option 2.  ML is there for rebound but 3 PT attempts often have long rebounds.   Plus if you spread it out it opens up the paint. 

Just an option for a team that needed 3PTs.  There's many ways to win.   Just throwing out an option to use RW in a very specific scenario. 

Sub Jones for Williams and you have something. Williams is a below average 3 point shooter and brings nothing else.

Penny must be really bad. I think Crews could win with that crew. It’s beginning to look like a bad L for us. Makes the Auburn game all that more important. Travis is going to have to coach his off this week and during the game. Pearl’s a creep but he can coach. 

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Penny must be really bad. I think Crews could win with that crew. It’s beginning to look like a bad L for us. Makes the Auburn game all that more important. Travis is going to have to coach his off this week and during the game. Pearl’s a creep but he can coach. 

I don’t think it’s beginning to look like a bad loss. Memphis is 39th in KenPom, 72nd in the NET. Each of their last three losses could’ve been wins. I would be shocked if they are not a Q1 game for us throughout the year.

They certainly are in a rut and have no ability to take care of the ball. I also found Pennys recent comments about the chemistry issues in their locker room to be disappointing; I wouldn’t want my coach to be publicly calling out players like that.

They do everything well except for one thing: managing turnovers. If they can fix that they will easily be a tournament team. If they cannot, then they will have wasted a lot of talent. 

In my opinion their biggest problem isn’t coaching, it’s the fact that they assembled a roster without getting a point guard. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

no he's just a cheater that never gets really penalized to speak of.  

MB73 likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Just asking: how did Penny do in the NIT last year? How did we do? Just asking.

24 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

FWIW, Frank said on his radio show today that he texted a member of SLU’s staff what are the chances Perkins comes back next season. They responded: “100%.” 

I’ll be thrilled if he comes back but I’m not sure that the best decision for him and I’d be surprised if that the choice he makes. 
Im sure the plan is to build his stock back up in the hopes of getting drafted but couldn’t that be done in the G league or Europe?

He is already 23 years old.

SLU_Lax likes this

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I’ll be thrilled if he comes back but I’m not sure that the best decision for him and I’d be surprised if that the choice he makes. 
Im sure the plan is to build his stock back up in the hopes of getting drafted but couldn’t that be done in the G league or Europe?

He is already 23 years old.

With the NIL he can still make some money ,get a degree {I have no idea of current status] rebuild his stock. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Perkins did not graduate in May with Goodwin and French and is listed on SLU People Finder as a Senior. 

with this information, depending on Perkins major and after basketball vision, it may make sense that he comes back to earn his masters and increase his post basketball career and earning power.   

He is in a tough spot. He needs to recover from the injury, then rebuild his body and regain his skills. Typically players that sit a year, needs a couple of months of game play to regain their previous quality of play. I dont know his academic status, another free year of education could help him academically. The degree is for life, but as he just experienced, basketball skills can disappear in an instant. 

Assuming he returns to his previous level of play, its a big boost for the Billikens. I know he isn't an ideal forward, but he will strengthen our flexibility, especially if we lose Linsen.

11 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

He is in a tough spot. He needs to recover from the injury, then rebuild his body and regain his skills. Typically players that sit a year, needs a couple of months of game play to regain their previous quality of play. I dont know his academic status, another free year of education could help him academically. The degree is for life, but as he just experienced, basketball skills can disappear in an instant. 

Assuming he returns to his previous level of play, its a big boost for the Billikens. I know he isn't an ideal forward, but he will strengthen our flexibility, especially if we lose Linsen.

Since Perkins will need a long time to rehab and get back into playing shape, he might as well have SLU pay for it.

almaman likes this

8 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Perkins is pretty close to my ideal forward. I wish he could block a couple shots and grab a couple more rebounds but a 6'6" upperclassmen who can rebound and defend opposing forwards while also being a dominant perimeter weapon on offense is a prized commodity in today's game. 

4 minutes ago, NH said:

Perkins is pretty close to my ideal forward. I wish he could block a couple shots and grab a couple more rebounds but a 6'6" upperclassmen who can rebound and defend opposing forwards while also being a dominant perimeter weapon on offense is a prized commodity in today's game. 

My ideal is probably  an inch or 2 taller, but otherwise I agree with you. He will likely be the best forward we have next year barring a new addition or surprising development of an existing player. I was hoping to see significant improvement in his rebounding this year with his emphasis on physical development. His natural inclination is to score but it really looked like he was focusing on rounding out his game. 

I think he is in good hands with coach Ford and the rest of the staff.

I think he has shown maturity in the way he has handed his career at SLU.