2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

4 minutes ago, Wendelprof said:

I think we are finally starting to see the impact the loss of Perkins is having on the Billikens.  We are missing the maturity and scoring ability that he brought to the team.  Guys who aren't ready for that role are trying to step up and fill it, but because it really wasn't their time yet, they are pressing too much and the results have not been positive.  Senior leadership comes naturally after years of playing and watching those who come before you fill that role.  You grow into that role.  When one is suddenly forced into that role because of injuries, it isn't something that most players can immediately fill.

This team is loaded with guys that would be seniors or juniors under normal circumstances. Linssen and Jones are in their 5th year at the college level.  Okoro, Thatch and Williams are in their 4 year at the college level.  Jimerson, Collins and Hargrove are in year number 3.  This is a mature team age wise. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Senior leadership is about a lot more than just age.  I love Hargrove.  I love the improvements he has made in his game since he first arrived to campus.  But he's not ready to take on the role that Javonte would have had with this team.  I love Jimerson, but his injuries have kept him off the court for enough time that he's not a senior either in terms of time on the court and ability to handle that role.  Yuri is the closest, but (a) he's already doing so much for the team in terms of running the offense, I'm not sure it is fair to ask him to take on this role as well, and (b) I'm not sure he's a good enough shooter that you can put the team on his back at the end of the game.  I have no doubt we win the last two games with Perkins (probably still don't win the Memphis game).  This isn't on Ford, and to some degree it isn't on the team.  It takes time for players to assume new roles, and you can't rush time.  Even with the disappointment of the last two games, this team - without Perkins - has exceeded my expectations.  Go Bills.

slufanskip and majerus mojo like this

quit the pining for and the sickening "if only....."  perkins is not on the team.   he isnt coming back move the F on.

yuri is just a point guard.   a good one.  yes.  but not the one that can be the man.   wasted time for developing the folks that have that potential.   quit punishing the athletes that have the potential to be ultra special, nesbitt, hargrove and even strickland.  time to turn the horses loose.  

ford is the coach and it is his job to develop what he has and frankly i dont see how you develop players by not using them.  if it means we have to totally change our approach to games on both ends of the floor, f'ing do it.  

drkelsey55 likes this

26 minutes ago, Wendelprof said:

Senior leadership is about a lot more than just age.  I love Hargrove.  I love the improvements he has made in his game since he first arrived to campus.  But he's not ready to take on the role that Javonte would have had with this team.  I love Jimerson, but his injuries have kept him off the court for enough time that he's not a senior either in terms of time on the court and ability to handle that role.  Yuri is the closest, but (a) he's already doing so much for the team in terms of running the offense, I'm not sure it is fair to ask him to take on this role as well, and (b) I'm not sure he's a good enough shooter that you can put the team on his back at the end of the game.  I have no doubt we win the last two games with Perkins (probably still don't win the Memphis game).  This isn't on Ford, and to some degree it isn't on the team.  It takes time for players to assume new roles, and you can't rush time.  Even with the disappointment of the last two games, this team - without Perkins - has exceeded my expectations.  Go Bills.

At what point is it on Ford?  I don't want him fired or anything like that, but at what point does the responsibility fall on his shoulders?  We are here in season six of the Travis Ford era at SLU with one NCAA tournament appearance.  These are all his players.  The guy that is hurt would have graduated and been unavailable under normal circumstances.  There is a massive drop off in the team's play after opposing coaches make halftime adjustments.  He doesn't play to the strengths of the guy Ford himself bills as the player the team revolves around.  Ford hasn't found a way to get the best recruit the program has landed since Larry Hughes more involved in the offense.

Just when does some of this fall on Ford?

if ford wants basketball smart gym rats to dominate the billikens and ignore and punish the potential of raw but possible program changers because that player is too wild or makes bad decisions, when does player development come into play?

wouldnt it long term help the likes of the raw but huge potential player become all he can be and possibly get drafted into the nba asap?  future players would see that and say, "I want to play for coach ford!"   

instead opposing coaches are going to tell that young high school stud, "why SLU?  who did they get drafted?"  

brianstl likes this

39 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Interesting stats from Team Rankings.

We rank 34 in first half power rating.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/first-half-by-other

We rank 109 in second half power rating.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/second-half-by-other

Good find I was wondering about this. 

In game adjustments aren't on our side. 

On 12/7/2021 at 9:18 AM, HoosierPal said:

My biggest disappoint to date is Williams.  I expected much more from him.  Now, why he isn't playing is a mystery to me. 

It is crazy to me that he didn't play down 3 with 12 seconds left or down 3 with 4.4 seconds left...

I say put in all your 3 point shooters... Jimmerson was in (but of course they covered him)...  (I know TJ and Nesbitt can shoot too) but put in Williams or put in Lorrentson... 

We needed more options to inbound the ball too imo. Gibson was covered so we were forced to throw a bad inbounds pass to a heavily guarded TJ.

***Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I am no basketball expert or coach....

3 hours ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

It is crazy to me that he didn't play down 3 with 12 seconds left or down 3 with 4.4 seconds left...

I say put in all your 3 point shooters... Jimmerson was in (but of course they covered him)...  (I know TJ and Nesbitt can shoot too) but put in Williams or put in Lorrentson..

We needed more options to inbound the ball too imo. Gibson was covered so we were forced to throw a bad inbounds pass to a heavily guarded TJ.

***Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I am no basketball expert or coach....

-I said at the time some one taller that can see better would be a better option to in-bound, didn't think about him but should have and so too I think should have our bench

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

3 hours ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I say put in all your 3 point shooters... Jimmerson was in (but of course they covered him)...  (I know TJ and Nesbitt can shoot too) but put in Williams or put in Lorrentson... 

So a group of us hung around after the UAB game to watch the soccer. The Swede, Williams, Nesbitt, and Markhi came back out on the floor.  Williams and Nesbitt on one basket, The Swede and Markhi on the other. Soccer feed went dead for about 15 minutes, so we watched the shooters. Williams and the Swede are amazing! They consistently hit 9 out of 10 all around the 3 point line.  Nesbitt was about 8 out of 10.  Checked back again at halftime. Only Williams was still there. Pop,pop,pop…string music. This guy needs to be given  a chance…he’s just too good a shooter. 

Give RW a chance you mean like put him and GJ on the floor at the same time when you need a 3 to tie the game and the other team knows you have 2 3PT shooters in and can't double team?

Just saying.  But there is a use for RW and we could have used him last night. 

Here is a shocking stat:

The Bills are 320th in the Nation in three point shots attempted.  320th!

We are 229th in three point shots made.

We are 38th in 3% made. 

We need to shoot more threes.  We need Jimerson to shoot more threes.  We need Rashad Williams to fire up some threes.

5 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Give RW a chance you mean like put him and GJ on the floor at the same time when you need a 3 to tie the game and the other team knows you have 2 3PT shooters in and can't double team?

Just saying.  But there is a use for RW and we could have used him last night. 

And take off TJ the 47% (!) from 3 guy?

Or nesbitt and Linssen that are there to rebound?

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is a shocking stat:

We are 38th in 3% made. 

We need to shoot more threes.  We need Jimerson to shoot more threes.  We need Rashad Williams to fire up some threes.

THIS!!!!

billiken_roy likes this

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is a shocking stat:

We are 38th in 3% made. 

Agreed! This has been an issue of mine with our offense for three straight seasons. We are leaving points on the table by not taking more threes.

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is a shocking stat:

We are 38th in 3% made. 

I'd love to see us roll with a 4 out lineup of Jones (44.4% from 3 this season, 39% career), Jimerson (41.3%, 40.8%), Nesbitt (34.4%, 34.3%), Hargrove (47.4%, 40.6%), and either Linssen or Okoro for a while and see how that goes.  

Sure you don't have Yuri's elite passing ability, but the spacing would be so much better.  I'd let Nesbitt be the primary ballhandler.  He's shown good passing ability.  His size and shooting advantage our Yuri makes it harder for teams to defend especially when surrounded by 3 great shooters.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

im always curious as to who initiates these type's of meetings. 

I would hope the players would go to the Captain and he would take a temp and decide if enough players agreed.  If your force this on a bunch of players who are not ready for it it is a waste of time.  Now do these work - who knows but at least some on the team think there is a problem.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:13 AM, Bills By 40 said:

I guess A Bomb's strategy is to make the shot so we don't need a rebound

If I needed a 3, YC, RW, GJ, JN, ML.  Spread it out with ML underneath.   YC has the ball with GJ as option 1 and RW as option 2.  ML is there for rebound but 3 PT attempts often have long rebounds.   Plus if you spread it out it opens up the paint. 

Just an option for a team that needed 3PTs.  There's many ways to win.   Just throwing out an option to use RW in a very specific scenario. 

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I would hope the players would go to the Captain and he would take a temp and decide if enough players agreed.  If your force this on a bunch of players who are not ready for it it is a waste of time.  Now do these work - who knows but at least some on the team think there is a problem.

This is normal team sports.   Player lead teams are the best teams.  These things can/should happen periodically win or lose.   You just hear about them when you're losing.   Players meet do a temperature check, air grievances and maybe even feats of strength.  Then you feel better and resolved to win the next one. 

Any of our Chicago friends on here know if Sully's House is still the official SLU bar of Chicago? Attending a wedding in Chicago tomorrow and the game fits perfectly between the ceremony and cocktail hour. Since the game is on NBCSN I could likely watch anywhere but it would be nice to check out Sully's if it's still considered a SLU bar.

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Any of our Chicago friends on here know if Sully's House is still the official SLU bar of Chicago? Attending a wedding in Chicago tomorrow and the game fits perfectly between the ceremony and cocktail hour. Since the game is on NBCSN I could likely watch anywhere but it would be nice to check out Sully's if it's still considered a SLU bar.

They’ll put the game on if you ask for it, but with the exception of ranked matchups or tournaments, they don’t really do events or anything dedicated towards SLU fans. 

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

If you're a Twitter guy reach out to @ WestPineBills , the two of them are Chicago guys and would be fully equipped to answer that question. I know at least one of them posts on the board but I don't know his username.