2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

7 minutes ago, CBFan said:

My opinions are based on the last few games.  Some of the turnovers have resulted in points and have killed the momentum of the team.

Memphis 7 assists 6 TO’s, ISU 8 assists and 8 TO’s, SFA 4 assists 6 TO’s, BSU 1 assist 3 TO’s, UAB 7 assists 4 turnovers.

Please feel free to ignore my patently absurd opinions.

He's still 10th all time on SLU's assist list and on pace to be 8th after tonight's game. At his current rate, which I wouldn't be surprised to see increase, he's on pace for exactly 500 assists by the end of the regular season - after two years cut short by COVID. It took Deandre 4 years against much worse competition to do that and Yuri could damn near catch him by the end of the year. 

All I'm saying is let's not let a few games under unfortunate circumstances make us throw out his entire body of work. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

While Nesbitt has certainly been a net positive player, I was expecting a little more out of him, yes, this early. I'm thinking that his semester in Memphis may have set him back.  He gets a pass from me until A10 

I think Nesbitt is in a battle with Ford right now on playing style.  His body language on the bench shows frustration and disappointment with playing time.  Last game was rough on him for sure.  Hopefully it’s just part of his growing process and things change.  He’s obviously very talented and we need him on the floor more.  But with Ford you either play his way or you don’t play.  Nesbitt has probably never had to face that in his life.  

8 minutes ago, Slowry said:

I think Nesbitt is in a battle with Ford right now on playing style.  His body language on the bench shows frustration and disappointment with playing time.  Last game was rough on him for sure.  Hopefully it’s just part of his growing process and things change.  He’s obviously very talented and we need him on the floor more.  But with Ford you either play his way or you don’t play.  Nesbitt has probably never had to face that in his life.  

I imagine this explains why we're not seeing more from Rashad. He doesn't seem to bring anything more to the table than the deep threat and without the ability to create that opportunity for himself he doesn't serve much purpose. I haven't seen great defense out of him and we don't have room in the rotation for a one-dimensional player like that - especially not in the back court

10 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I imagine this explains why we're not seeing more from Rashad. He doesn't seem to bring anything more to the table than the deep threat and without the ability to create that opportunity for himself he doesn't serve much purpose. I haven't seen great defense out of him and we don't have room in the rotation for a one-dimensional player like that - especially not in the back court

We know Williams can create his own shot.  You don't drop 36 points on Michigan State and 32 points against Oklahoma State without the ability to create your own shot. We're all spitballing here but I think it comes down to Ford loving him some 8 man rotation and picking Jones over Williams. 

It's math.  If Jones' turnovers are infinitesimally small (totally unexpected) and he's hitting threes, why play Williams?  Williams is the type of scorer that needs to get up a lot of shots, not somebody who can thrive getting 5 shots a game off the bench.

On the topic of this debate about Yuri and whether Jones should get more of his minutes, keep in mind that Yuri's style creates a bunch of easy baskets for Linssen and Okoro.  Same goes for many of our other players.  His value in being the engine of the offense outweighs the negatives involved with his turnover problems.  That is not to say that he can't improve the turnover issues he's having.  He absolutely should continue to work on honing his game.  However, other teams know that he runs our show and they will key on trying to turn him over.  Game plans are written by the other teams to focus on that.  I just think we need to cut him some slack and recognize the overall of what he brings compared to what the turnovers take away.

53 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

On the topic of this debate about Yuri and whether Jones should get more of his minutes, keep in mind that Yuri's style creates a bunch of easy baskets for Linssen and Okoro.  Same goes for many of our other players.  His value in being the engine of the offense outweighs the negatives involved with his turnover problems.  That is not to say that he can't improve the turnover issues he's having.  He absolutely should continue to work on honing his game.  However, other teams know that he runs our show and they will key on trying to turn him over.  Game plans are written by the other teams to focus on that.  I just think we need to cut him some slack and recognize the overall of what he brings compared to what the turnovers take away.

This not meant to be a knock on Yuri - but using your logic the Cardinals should have not traded for Arenado and just stayed with Carpenter since he was good before and even if the opposing pitchers have figured out how to pitch to he was the man for us at one time.  My point is if you don't change what you use to do successfully when it stops working you will cease to be successful.  Whether Yuri changes his approach or Ford figures out how to help him either something is not right.

billiken_roy likes this

25 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

This not meant to be a knock on Yuri - but using your logic the Cardinals should have not traded for Arenado and just stayed with Carpenter since he was good before and even if the opposing pitchers have figured out how to pitch to he was the man for us at one time.  My point is if you don't change what you use to do successfully when it stops working you will cease to be successful.  Whether Yuri changes his approach or Ford figures out how to help him either something is not right.

Is that really how you read his post? Don't worry about whether he's good or not just keep using him because he used to be good? 

Bills By 40 likes this

At this point, I don't think the minutes for Jones and Yuri should change much.  I trust that the staff is talking to Yuri about him trying to do too much and I trust that Yuri has the ability and the will to correct the problem.  If we get to conference play and the problem is not fixed, I'll be surprised.   

Williams is still an enigma. I have to think his issues are on the D side. We’re scoring at a good enough clip, so we don’t really need him for points. We’re not defending or rebounding as well as Ford wants, so I’m thinking Williams isn’t up to what he expects we need on those fronts. 
My major concerns at this point are Yurimania playing out of control at times, and our poor D board work. We won’t win many games by racking up 12-15 TOS and losing the rebounding battle by double figures every game. 

RUBillsFan likes this

Just now, House said:

At this point, I don't think the minutes for Jones and Yuri should change much.  I trust that the staff is talking to Yuri about him trying to do too much and I trust that Yuri has the ability and the will to correct the problem.  If we get to conference play and the problem is not fixed, I'll be surprised.   

Agreed on all fronts other than the implication that the sole problem is Yuri "doing too much", whereas from my seats it seems at least 50/50 others not doing enough and leaving Yuri no other option. Emphasis on 50/50. 

10 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Agreed on all fronts other than the implication that the sole problem is Yuri "doing too much", whereas from my seats it seems at least 50/50 others not doing enough and leaving Yuri no other option. Emphasis on 50/50. 

Yuri needs to learn how to use a ball screen. He is really bad at it and it leaves our big out there in no mans land. He is so much better when he plays at a faster tempo so I’m not sure why we are having him walk the ball up the court. 

18 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Williams is still an enigma. I have to think his issues are on the D side. We’re scoring at a good enough clip, so we don’t really need him for points. We’re not defending or rebounding as well as Ford wants, so I’m thinking Williams isn’t up to what he expects we need on those fronts. 
My major concerns at this point are Yurimania playing out of control at times, and our poor D board work. We won’t win many games by racking up 12-15 TOS and losing the rebounding battle by double figures every game. 

You answered your question. Williams was added as an additional scorer. However, scoring has not been our problem as a team. Plus, Williams was always a volume scorer before coming to SLU, and he hasn't shown an ability to shoot consistently in limited minutes.

billiken_roy likes this

47 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Is that really how you read his post? Don't worry about whether he's good or not just keep using him because he used to be good? 

No - my point was that Yuri and Ford have to find new ways to utilize him that will max his success as well as the team.  My example was of a player that refused to adjust his approach to meet the new normal for him.

slufanskip likes this

Yurimania didn’t forget how to play his game of 15+ years in the last 2 weeks. I think Ford and staff are asking him to step up his scoring and penetration. Hence, his drives into the deep forest. Lately he resembles an out of control Randy Pulley more than a cook collected Yurimania Collins. If he can pull off games like he did last year against NC State, great. Having him averaging 12 ppg and 10 Assfs with 2-3 TOS would make him all A10. But so far it’s not happening. Can it? If anyone can do it, I still believe in Yurimania. I also think Nesbitt could pull off those numbers. 

39 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

In the world of many MBM's, it's always the quarterback's fault when there's an interception.  I'll be honest -- it's very hard for me tell on any given play whether the receiver ran the wrong route or the quarterback made the wrong read.  If our turnover situation improves going forward, I'll be happy.  However, I still won't know what party was at fault.

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

In the world of many MBM's, it's always the quarterback's fault when there's an interception.  I'll be honest -- it's very hard for me tell on any given play whether the receiver ran the wrong route or the quarterback made the wrong read.  If our turnover situation improves going forward, I'll be happy.  However, I still won't know what party was at fault.

I get where you're coming from but I'm looking at it on a play by play basis. I've established myself as a Yuri diehard and I will die on that hill, so from game to game I make mental notes as things happen as to whose fault it may or may not have been. I don't look at games as a whole rather recall individual scenarios and there are many I can point to that Yuri has been blamed for but I would blame on others. Yuri makes mistakes but often times others make mistakes for him...as the PG you shoulder that blame but as more dedicated fans we owe it to him to read the fine print. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

This and I mentioned it about a previous game. There have been numerous times when Yuri got double teamed and no one helps. My issue with Yuri isn't the same as some here where he turns it over trying to push the envelope or make a great pass. i don't want that to stop as that's what makes him great. I understand there will be turnovers when you are trying to make things happen. Imo it's the once or twice a game where he just seems to make a lazy pass or doesn't seem aware of the defender cutting into the passing lane. Right now he's at 62/34. I'd bet he has 5-10 lazy pass t/o's. Take those away and even with the numbers of the last 2 games he's near the top of the leader board in D1 in assists with at or near a 2.5-1 ratio. 

willie likes this

There are 2 players in the country right now averaging over 6 assists per game with an ass/to ratio over 3.0.

Again, I think Yuri can clean up some simple mistakes but if he's not turning it over now and then from pushing the envelope, he's not pushing enough. If he can be above 7 assists per game and be at a 2.5 or 3 to 1 ratio I'll be very happy. 

There are only 4 players in the country at 7 or more assists per game. 

5 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Carpenter was bad for several seasons.  Yuri’s had a couple rough games.  Completely different situations.

Billikenbooster likes this

I think we are finally starting to see the impact the loss of Perkins is having on the Billikens.  We are missing the maturity and scoring ability that he brought to the team.  Guys who aren't ready for that role are trying to step up and fill it, but because it really wasn't their time yet, they are pressing too much and the results have not been positive.  Senior leadership comes naturally after years of playing and watching those who come before you fill that role.  You grow into that role.  When one is suddenly forced into that role because of injuries, it isn't something that most players can immediately fill.

willie likes this

Time to look at who's hot and who's not during this 2 game losing stretch(competition is harder)

Blue - above season average

red- below season average

Nothing within 3 % of average

FG               3           FT

Linssen - 61%                            66%     

FTJ -        57%            33%        75%      

FO -          50%                          75%

Jones -      50%            55%

GJ -            44%           44%        75%

Yuri -          35%            0%          60%

Nesbitt -      33%          0%           50%

THJ -         27%            33%         50%

Only two players are playing better than they had been.

3 are playing near what they have been

3 are playin well below their average 

Free throws are the biggest concern, because that has nothing to do with competition - but it wouldn't have changed the W/L

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Time to look at who's hot and who's not during this 2 game losing stretch(competition is harder)

Blue - above season average

red- below season average

Nothing within 3 % of average

FG               3           FT

Linssen - 61%                            66%     

FTJ -        57%            33%        75%      

FO -          50%                          75%

Jones -      50%            55%

GJ -            44%           44%        75%

Yuri -          35%            0%          60%

Nesbitt -      33%          0%           50%

THJ -         27%            33%         50%

Only two players are playing better than they had been.

3 are playing near what they have been

3 are playin well below their average 

Free throws are the biggest concern, because that has nothing to do with competition - but it wouldn't have changed the W/L

Actually I think it could have last night.