2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

33 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I checked the TV guide on Uverse for UAB game and they still list at 8:00 pm. Anyone know if the change is going to be moved up by Bally? 

I would think so, Bally is just showing re-runs starting at 3 pm, so very easy decision. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, almaman said:

perfect storm Yuri TO issues vs #1 stealing team :(

I have to think the week back home was enough time for Ford to teach receiving passes, shielding passing lanes, and PASS FAKES at practice. FTLOG there are easy solutions to these problems. Any opponent that watches tape from our last three games will see the obvious answer is to cut passing lanes and bully Okoro and Linssen to get them in foul trouble. Therefore guys like Linssen/Jimerson/Hargrove receiving passes from Yuri need to COME TO and get their lead foot and shoulder in front of their defenders and those simple passes that we call "lazy" on Yuri's part will cease to be turnovers and it will become more evident how much fault should've been placed the entire time on behalf of the other end of those passes. If Linssen and Okoro learned how to pass out of the paint more we'd see much less foul trouble and smoother offense - it would create open opportunities outside the paint and also remove incentive to double team them when they do keep the ball. 

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

How come Hargrove has only been to the line 7 times?

Opponents have 45 blocks to our 31.  Is Bully Ball gone?

I'd wager that Hargrove's speed and athleticism helps him beat his man more often than stick around to get fouled by them. More than 23% of his field goal attempts have been from 3 this year, which is another factor, not to mention he has previewed quite a bit of a midrange game and those are shots that he's much less likely to get fouled on. In previous years I bet a much greater chunk of his shots were at or around the rim, where he was far more likely to get fouled.

14 of those blocks came at Memphis alone, where we were obviously mismatched in the paint. Duren had 6 of them. Okoro getting dunks blocked and overall being as soft as my grandma in the paint doesn't help the deficit either, but I think it'll even out. Linssen has been showing signs of being a much improved shot blocker. 

I'm okay with Bully Ball being gone, though. Playing a well rehearsed fundamental game of basketball with high percentage volume shooters and a traditional point guard would be fine by me. 

CBFan likes this

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Opponents have 45 blocks to our 31.  Is Bully Ball gone?

Getting our shots blocked has been a trend under Ford.  Block % by year:

2016-17 - 12.2%, 339th in the nation

2017-18 - 9.6%, 205th ITN

2018-19 - 10.1%, 249th ITN

2019-20 - 8.6%, 144th ITN

2020-21 - 9.6%, 239th ITN

2021-22 - 13.7%, 332th ITN

As @Bills By 40 pointed out, the 21-22 number is inflated by the Memphis game, but getting our shots blocked is a trend I don't expect to necessarily go away.

Aside - I don't really consider blocked shots or blocked attempts to really be part of bully ball.  Bully ball in my mind is strong rebounding & tough defense.  If anything I'd expect more blocked attempts in bully ball because you are taking more shots at the rim (which are more likely to be blocked than jumpers).

Bills By 40 likes this

Just as important as our improved FT%, is how often we get to the line.  We lead the country in FT attempts per game at 28.  That is 10 more per game than last season when we ranked 181st.  We rank 5th in free throw attempts per field goal attempts this season compared to 222nd last season.  You have to get to the line to really take advantage of above average free throw shooting.

Bills By 40 and BilliesBy40 like this

If anyone has been beating their head against the wall trying to come up with the perfect gift to get their loved ones this Christmas I've got excellent news. Your wait is over:

https://www.cameo.com/jonrothstein

Switching gears, is anyone planning on getting together for pregame beverages down by Chaiftez during the upcoming nonconference home stretch? Are Compton garage parties still a thing? Were they ever a thing? Would be nice to put some faces to handles, have a few laughs, give a few sanitized fist bumps, remind @billiken_roy he doesn't need to wear his mask while we're outdoors, show everyone I'm an idiot in person and not just on an anonymous internet chat forum...

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

I have to think the week back home was enough time for Ford to teach receiving passes, shielding passing lanes, and PASS FAKES at practice. FTLOG there are easy solutions to these problems. Any opponent that watches tape from our last three games will see the obvious answer is to cut passing lanes and bully Okoro and Linssen to get them in foul trouble. Therefore guys like Linssen/Jimerson/Hargrove receiving passes from Yuri need to COME TO and get their lead foot and shoulder in front of their defenders and those simple passes that we call "lazy" on Yuri's part will cease to be turnovers and it will become more evident how much fault should've been placed the entire time on behalf of the other end of those passes. If Linssen and Okoro learned how to pass out of the paint more we'd see much less foul trouble and smoother offense - it would create open opportunities outside the paint and also remove incentive to double team them when they do keep the ball. 

I'd wager that Hargrove's speed and athleticism helps him beat his man more often than stick around to get fouled by them. More than 23% of his field goal attempts have been from 3 this year, which is another factor, not to mention he has previewed quite a bit of a midrange game and those are shots that he's much less likely to get fouled on. In previous years I bet a much greater chunk of his shots were at or around the rim, where he was far more likely to get fouled.

14 of those blocks came at Memphis alone, where we were obviously mismatched in the paint. Duren had 6 of them. Okoro getting dunks blocked and overall being as soft as my grandma in the paint doesn't help the deficit either, but I think it'll even out. Linssen has been showing signs of being a much improved shot blocker. 

I'm okay with Bully Ball being gone, though. Playing a well rehearsed fundamental game of basketball with high percentage volume shooters and a traditional point guard would be fine by me. 

Nice analysis! I think a big factor in bully ball was our personnel. French and Goodwin were our core players. French, a beast, couldn't score beyond 6 ft and Goodwin was best inside of 8 feet. We basically had a physical team with limmited outside shooting. I think Ford would like to keep the physical nature of the defence, without absolutely needing to force the ball inside to score in offense.

i'm the last one you have to advise not to wear a mask.   dont get me started. grrrrrrrrrrr

4 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Switching gears, is anyone planning on getting together for pregame beverages down by Chaiftez during the upcoming nonconference home stretch? Are Compton garage parties still a thing? Were they ever a thing? Would be nice to put some faces to handles, have a few laughs, give a few sanitized fist bumps, remind @billiken_roy he doesn't need to wear his mask while we're outdoors, show everyone I'm an idiot in person and not just on an anonymous internet chat forum...

I would love this. I'm bringing a large group and it is my birthday this Saturday so fun will be had. 

2 hours ago, gabriel said:

I was hoping for more than ~20 words but I'll take it

Time to bounce back after getting beat by UAB.  There have been so many positives with our team and a few warts, turnovers.

Positives, Deandre Jones, Martin Linessen, team free throw shooting, Nesbitt even without scoring does a lot of good things, scoring average, the productivity from the top 8 players in the rotation.

Issues is too many turnovers from Collins and Jimerson, offensive rebounds, Williams needs to be productive. and only one go to guy, Jimerson.

Our team should win the A10.  I still believe when Nesbitt finally gets locked in on scoring there will be 2 go to guys on the team.  I believe Okoro is making progress and will continue to improve.  Okoro needs the Dwayne Evans look in his eye and toughness he has the physical tools.

Coach Majerus brought in Kwmain Mitchell who is 5' 10" and was very productive and effective.  There are point 2 guards on this team that are Mitchells height that should get this team to the dance, height of our point guards should not be an excuse.

I can see Jones with the shot clock time running out making a 30 foot desperation shot just like Mitchell did against Memphis in the big dance.

The best is yet to come from our team.

TheOne likes this

9 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Time to bounce back after getting beat by UAB.  There have been so many positives with our team and a few warts, turnovers.

Positives, Deandre Jones, Martin Linessen, team free throw shooting, Nesbitt even without scoring does a lot of good things, scoring average, the productivity from the top 8 players in the rotation.

Issues is too many turnovers from Collins and Jimerson, offensive rebounds, Williams needs to be productive. and only one go to guy, Jimerson.

Our team should win the A10.  I still believe when Nesbitt finally gets locked in on scoring there will be 2 go to guys on the team.  I believe Okoro is making progress and will continue to improve.  Okoro needs the Dwayne Evans look in his eye and toughness he has the physical tools.

Coach Majerus brought in Kwmain Mitchell who is 5' 10" and was very productive and effective.  There are point 2 guards on this team that are Mitchells height that should get this team to the dance, height of our point guards should not be an excuse.

I can see Jones with the shot clock time running out making a 30 foot desperation shot just like Mitchell did against Memphis in the big dance.

The best is yet to come from our team.

really wish I shared the same excitement and optimism as you. 

UAB should have been a win at home.  That game, especially the 2nd half makes me a little more skeptical about this team.  The way UD is now playing, I don't see us as a top 2 team - currently and I think we're closer to 4th than 2nd.  And with the loss the UAB, I think we have to 4-1 the rest of the way at the very least to have a at large chance when entering conference time. That's a tall task. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

really wish I shared the same excitement and optimism as you. 

UAB should have been a win at home.  That game, especially the 2nd half makes me a little more skeptical about this team.  The way UD is now playing, I don't see us as a top 2 team - currently and I think we're closer to 4th than 2nd.  And with the loss the UAB, I think we have to 4-1 the rest of the way at the very least to have a at large chance when entering conference time. That's a tall task. 

UAB straight up beat us, and there's no shame on a macro level in this loss. They hit the tough shots, they got to the rim for easy buckets and they locked us down in the 2nd half. It is what it is, this is a game that was tailor made for a guy like Perkins to take over and we just didn't have it. This is the reality we're living in. There's room for optimism, and this team certainly is going to contend in the A10 but they also aren't going to blow anyone out and may lose a couple games like this one. Belmont is a tough game to go for a bounce back, but the Billikens have the horses.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

UAB straight up beat us, and there's no shame on a macro level in this loss. They hit the tough shots, they got to the rim for easy buckets and they locked us down in the 2nd half. It is what it is, this is a game that was tailor made for a guy like Perkins to take over and we just didn't have it. This is the reality we're living in. There's room for optimism, and this team certainly is going to contend in the A10 but they also aren't going to blow anyone out and may lose a couple games like this one. Belmont is a tough game to go for a bounce back, but the Billikens have the horses.

Great post, UAB’s offense was really good and as you said they locked us down especially Jimerson.

There is no doubt that when the offense needed points Perkins would have delivered.

The heart of the team was shown when they crawled back into the game in the final minute when others were posting ballgame before Jimerson’s wide open 3 attempt.

If Nesbitt can get to a good place scoring and the turnover issue is fixed both possible then they have a great chance to win the A10.

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

UAB straight up beat us, and there's no shame on a macro level in this loss. 

UAB is a good team, in no way saying this is a bad loss or anything like that. My fear is, that during this 2 week stretch of games, this was one we needed to win.  Lets say we play flat against Belmont, now #21 Auburn and a neutral against Drake are must wins.  Thats what the loss against UAB could mean.  A win at home against a beatable team like UAB helps off set future losses to those teams. 

i see a lot of revisionist memories of perkins since his injury.   please dont think i dont respect how good he was.   but i also remember that he was getting beat up every game by the end of last season once the opponents had figured out he had become the goto man on the billikens 

yes it was said that he had worked hard in the summer getting stronger, but that doesnt mean that teams were still not going to beat him up every game and try to limit his effectiveness.   i refuse to use the "what if perkins....." excuse.   there should be the talent on this team to overcome the loss of javonte imo.   

imo there was some problem(s) exposed saturday.   i dont pretend to know that it is sitting in the 8th row caddy cornered from the billiken bench, but there was a lot of strange out of character happenings going on it seemed to me watching stuff not and happening on the floor.   i would love to be wrong and it was just an off night.  

i do not agree "the better team won".   yes UAB is better than harris stowe.   but we have more talent imo.   i say our talent didnt play up to their capabilities.   hopefully it was indeed just a blip on the season.   i truly wanted to run the non-conference part of the schedule so possibly i am seeing and overthinking things to try to explain my disappointment.   

This was a top 35ish team with Perkins.  You don't lose a player of that magnitude and remain a top 35 team.  Coach Ford did a great last-minute duct tape job to make Jimerson our first option on offense but he is not Perkins.  There will be long, athletic teams like Memphis and UAB and most likely Auburn, the Bonnies and VCU who can lock him up.

I was expecting an NIT team the moment Perkins went down. Somebody on the team will need to have an unexpectedly strong second half of the season to change that opinion.

slufanskip likes this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

This was a top 35ish team with Perkins.  You don't lose a player of that magnitude and remain a top 35 team.  Coach Ford did a great last-minute duct tape job to make Jimerson our first option on offense but he is not Perkins.  There will be long, athletic teams like Memphis and UAB and most likely Auburn, the Bonnies and VCU who can lock him up.

I was expecting an NIT team the moment Perkins went down. Somebody on the team will need to have an unexpectedly strong second half of the season to change that opinion.

Agreed. And I would also say we've played like an NIT team so far.  Beating UAB, or playing Memphis close would have been an indication of a tournament team. Not saying we cant improve to a tournament team, we just aren't that right now. 

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Agreed. And I would also say we've played like an NIT team so far.  Beating UAB, or playing Memphis close would have been an indication of a tournament team. Not saying we cant improve to a tournament team, we just aren't that right now. 

So far this team has beaten who they should beat and lost to the better teams. I think this is about a fair assessment of SLU in a post-Perkins world. I will also say with that I will grossly overreact negatively to SLU's selection to the tournament mentioned. 

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Collins is 62 and 34, or 1.82 A-TO.  His career average is 2.0.

Jones career a-TO average is 1.67. He has 503 assists in his two school career.

SLU is his third school. Yuri's A2TO ratio needs to be viewed through different lenses than Nesbitt or Jones because those two guys aren't running the offense for over 30 minutes per game and being double teamed like Yuri is. 

cgeldmacher likes this