2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

46 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am hoping Williams becomes Isabell by the end of the season and carries the team like Isabell did.

Williams seems to have a similar skill set as Isabell.

Williams is not a known by SLU fans but he has good scoring stats.

I expect 22 wins from this team that is still stacked with shooters, a talented experienced point guard and enough bigs to keep teams honest.  This team also possesses good defenders like Thatch and Strickland.

Really the only comp between the two is that they're both inefficient

Isabell a much more complete offensive player than Williams

Compton and billiken_roy like this

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am hoping Williams becomes Isabell by the end of the season and carries the team like Isabell did.

Williams seems to have a similar skill set as Isabell.

Williams is not a known by SLU fans but he has good scoring stats.

I expect 22 wins from this team that is still stacked with shooters, a talented experienced point guard and enough bigs to keep teams honest.  This team also possesses good defenders like Thatch and Strickland.

Other the blue bloods that restock every year with blue chippers, no team that loses 58% of its scoring from the year before should have high expectations.  In the past 8 seasons, the most wins we have had is 23.  Since 1990, we have had 22 or more wins only 9 times.  That's 9 times in 32 years.  Those are our best 9 teams in the last 32 years.  After losing 58% of our scoring from last year, we are not going to be one of the best teams we've had in the past 33 years.  Let's please temper our expectations.

Coach314 likes this

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Other the blue bloods that restock every year with blue chippers, no team that loses 58% of its scoring from the year before should have high expectations.  In the past 8 seasons, the most wins we have had is 23.  Since 1990, we have had 22 or more wins only 9 times.  That's 9 times in 32 years.  Those are our best 9 teams in the last 32 years.  After losing 58% of our scoring from last year, we are not going to be one of the best teams we've had in the past 33 years.  Let's please temper our expectations.

That's fair to say. My counter to that would be that this team's ceiling, even without Perkins, would be significantly higher than a majority of teams in the past 33 years. 

59 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

It’s okay to have high expectations it’s just an opinion nothing more.

The team is deep and has a great quarterback running the team.

Who thought they would win the A10 tournament a few seasons ago?

I like this team and believe by the end of the season they will be playing similar to the 2019-2020 team that finished strong if they do not lose anymore players.

slufanskip and drkelsey55 like this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Those teams didn't have a recruiter/coach like Ford. Expectations should be high.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

How many years have we brought back as much talent as we have this year?

Comparing win totals to teams from the 90s and early 2000s when we were in a much harder conference is not really apples-to-apples.

The quality of players we have on this years roster is very high. I think it’s fine to have tempered expectations but also can see why some would have high expectations. 

I think we will have some really rough games in non-conference, and then we will be a pleasant surprise in conference. I think that Memphis game has the potential to be bad. Memphis May start the year hot. We will see. That said, I expect 6 players to average near 10 points per game, and as this team gets confidence it will be very dangerous.

14 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I think we will have some really rough games in non-conference, and then we will be a pleasant surprise in conference. I think that Memphis game has the potential to be bad. Memphis May start the year hot. We will see. That said, I expect 6 players to average near 10 points per game, and as this team gets confidence it will be very dangerous.

If they play fast you may be right.   I'll believe it when I see it.

5 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Have you seen Penny coach?

A10Ref likes this

14 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The Memphis game better not be close. I don’t need another year where I’m recklessly optimistic.

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Larry Brown is 81, one may wonder how invested he actually is as far as coaching goes. 

Why would he take the job? I don’t see Brown as a half assed type of guy. The man obviously lives for hoops. I would be shocked if he’s in it for the money. 

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

i understand larry brown is on the staff, he can coach

Penny also brought in Rasheed Wallace, primarily to coach Duran.  Duran very likely will be an NBA lottery pick in 2022.  Bates could be a lottery pick also, but his birthday is 28 days past the 'one and done' age deadline.  So for today, he is a 'two and done' player.  (Do you think those rules might change?)

i havent had an ounce of use for Larry Brown since the larry hughes / allen iverson days with the sixers.  imo not only did he screw our legend out of playing time and spotlight by sitting Hughes far too much and playing much less talented in every aspect eric snow, but he pretty much let iverson run the team.   worthless.  

i am sure he knows the game, but i dont understand his past motives at all. 

Don’t sell our boys short at Memphis. We have a veteran group who plays defense.  This will be the 1st real test for those two youngsters.  Hit the 3 ball at a decent clip and this is a game.  Memphis is a tough place to play and the place will be packed. I’ll be there.

CBFan likes this

12 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Don’t sell our boys short at Memphis. We have a veteran group who plays defense.  This will be the 1st real test for those two youngsters.  Hit the 3 ball at a decent clip and this is a game.  Memphis is a tough place to play and the place will be packed. I’ll be there.

My expectations are to make it a close enough game that it serves as motivation for the team to raise the ceiling and perform beyond that, and reassurance to the fans and the country that we're capable without JP of a lot more than we're given credit for. I don't think it's a game we will win, but crazy shiot happens all the time...why not a miracle in Memphis?

4 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

My expectations are to make it a close enough game that it serves as motivation for the team to raise the ceiling and perform beyond that, and reassurance to the fans and the country that we're capable without JP of a lot more than we're given credit for. I don't think it's a game we will win, but crazy shiot happens all the time...why not a miracle in Memphis?

If we win in Memphis it is mandatory for every Billiken fan in town to black out on Beale St., starting by drowning ourselves in buckets at Silky O'Sullivan's

12 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

If we win in Memphis it is mandatory for every Billiken fan in town to black out on Beale St., starting by drowning ourselves in buckets at Silky O'Sullivan's

I went to Silky O’Sullivans once during the CUSA tournament. They decided to close early the night we lost so they could be better prepared to serve the Cincinnati and Louisville fans who would be around the next couple of nights. Therefore, I don’t like Silky O’Sullivans.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Larry Brown is 81, one may wonder how invested he actually is as far as coaching goes. 

81? Is he going to have them running the “4 corners offense?”
The Bills should have brought him in last year to teach French underhanded Free-throws.