2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I know loss of Perkins is big but for those of you degenerate gamblers like myself, I think SLU is worth a bet at 28:1 to win the A10 regular season on DraftKings

Thanks for the heads up - just got 35:1 on Fan Duel. The winnings should finance my trip to the NCAA!

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes, it is an exhibition, which typically means a lot of player combinations and experiments.  But Rhody took down St. John's at their place.  Looking at the minutes, both teams pretty much went with a normal rotation.

Don't sleep on the Rams.

Bummer for Fordham that Joel Soriano transferred. He was a real solid player for them.

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes, it is an exhibition, which typically means a lot of player combinations and experiments.  But Rhody took down St. John's at their place.  Looking at the minutes, both teams pretty much went with a normal rotation.

Don't sleep on the Rams.

-so much for the "secret" part, next season they might as well have fans at these deals and generate some cash

HoosierPal and AGB91 like this

That Kevin Sweeney dude actually knows a lot about college basketball, especially the mid major teams. The problem is that’s effectively impossible to follow 358 as closely as any fan base would expect their team to be covered.

i agree that being ranked in the 90s is not unreasonable but that well exceed that expectation. 

George Mason will be over-ranked as long as Kim English is the coach because he is friends with all the college basketball media guys.

wgstl and Littlebill like this

2 minutes ago, NH said:

George Mason will be over-ranked as long as Kim English is the coach because he is friends with all the college basketball media guys.

except with Seth Davis, they absolutely hate each other and its pretty funny. 

On 9/9/2021 at 7:41 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Here's some next level speculation:

Perkins     18.0 ppg
Nesbitt     11.5 ppg (29.5)
Okoro         9.0 ppg (38.5)
Jimerson    8.0 ppg (46.5)
Williams      7.0 ppg (53.5)
Linssen       6.5 ppg (60.0)
Collins         6.0 ppg (66.0)
Hargrove     5.5 ppg (71.5)
Thatch         5.0 ppg (76.5)
Others         2.5 ppg (79.0)

Here's my scoring revision post Perkins-injury. Yuri will be pressed into more minutes and more offensive responsibility.  More Yuri will mean less Williams.  No Perkins will mean more Hargrove and Thatch, and occasionally Linssen at the 4.  There will be less weak-side opportunities for Okoro without Perkins on the floor:

Nesbitt           13.5 ppg 
Collins            10 ppg  (23.5)
Jimerson         8.0 ppg (31.5)
Hargrove         8.0 ppg (39.5)
Okoro              7.5  ppg (47)
Linssen           7.5 ppg (54.5)
Thatch            6.5 ppg (61)
Williams          5.0 ppg (66)
Others            5.0 ppg (71)

I need to step away from looking at the roster until the season starts.  More and more I look into things, the more im feeling less optimistic.

As of right now, feels like we only have one player on our roster that we know what we have.  Everyone else has too many question marks still.

Bally Sports broadcasts per SLU official account:

11/09 Central Arkansas

11/10 Harris Stowe

11/12 Eastern Illinois

11/20 Mercer

12/04 (my bday) UAB

12/30 UMASS

01/05 La Salle

01/26 GW

02/02 George Mason

02/22 St. Joe's

All BSMW games will also be aired on ESPN+ so to echo the previous comment, much worth the ~$5 subscripton

I think teams are going to try to go inside on us, to get our bigs in foul trouble. Its another reason to emphasize a running and outside game. We can't afford to have our bigs pick up fouls on either end of the floor.

We have 10 fouls to give, which should be enough, IF our bigs quit collecting them like candy on Halloween. Okoro and Linssen need to play smart.  If one of them picks up 2 quick fouls, Ford will pull them and then it will be like there is blood in the water.

I suspect we will play more zone defence to help protect them. 

32 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I think teams are going to try to go inside on us, to get our bigs in foul trouble. Its another reason to emphasize a running and outside game. We can't afford to have our bigs pick up fouls on either end of the floor.

We have 10 fouls to give, which should be enough, IF our bigs quit collecting them like candy on Halloween. Okoro and Linssen need to play smart.  If one of them picks up 2 quick fouls, Ford will pull them and then it will be like there is blood in the water.

I suspect we will play more zone defence to help protect them. 

Our 3 bigs committed 12 fouls on Sunday

15 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Here's my scoring revision post Perkins-injury. Yuri will be pressed into more minutes and more offensive responsibility.  More Yuri will mean less Williams.  No Perkins will mean more Hargrove and Thatch, and occasionally Linssen at the 4.  There will be less weak-side opportunities for Okoro without Perkins on the floor:

Nesbitt           13.5 ppg 
Collins            10 ppg  (23.5)
Jimerson         8.0 ppg (31.5)
Hargrove         8.0 ppg (39.5)
Okoro              7.5  ppg (47)
Linssen           7.5 ppg (54.5)
Thatch            6.5 ppg (61)
Williams          5.0 ppg (66)
Others            5.0 ppg (71)

I agree with just about everything on here with the exception of Jimerson.  He averaged 7.8 points per game last season.  I have to think that goes up this season.  I see him averaging 11.5 per game, especially if they start passing him the ball when he's wide open.

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

I need to step away from looking at the roster until the season starts.  More and more I look into things, the more im feeling less optimistic.

As of right now, feels like we only have one player on our roster that we know what we have.  Everyone else has too many question marks still.

Bullseye

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

For my own sake, after we lost Javonte, I’m just trying to look at this season the way I looked at 2019-20. No expectations for wins/losses, I’m just excited to see the talent we have and root for their development as individual players. 

25 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I agree with just about everything on here with the exception of Jimerson.  He averaged 7.8 points per game last season.  I have to think that goes up this season.  I see him averaging 11.5 per game, especially if they start passing him the ball when he's wide open.

The verdict is still out on what Jimerson is going to do when D-1 defenders run him off the line.  If he's developed a counter, I agree he'll be a double digit scorer.

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

If the one player is Collins, I'm not sure we even know what we have with him....in a good sense.  If he can score double digits and come close to double digit assists, we have an Honorable Mention National All-American.  Two exhibition games against low level competition are just that, nothing to write home about.  I'm more interested in what he does against Memphis, UAB, Auburn, St. Bonnie and Dayton both offensively and defensively.  

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

If the one player is Collins, I'm not sure we even know what we have with him....in a good sense.  If he can score double digits and come close to double digit assists, we have an Honorable Mention National All-Star.  Two exhibition games against low level competition are just that, nothing to write home about.  I'm more interested in what he does against Memphis, UAB, Auburn, St. Bonnie and Dayton both offensively and defensively.  

We can make an educated guess.  Yuri will shoot the ball close to 10 times a game because he has to.  So there's your 10 points.  It's not like he can't get his own shot.

I am hoping Williams becomes Isabell by the end of the season and carries the team like Isabell did.

Williams seems to have a similar skill set as Isabell.

Williams is not a known by SLU fans but he has good scoring stats.

I expect 22 wins from this team that is still stacked with shooters, a talented experienced point guard and enough bigs to keep teams honest.  This team also possesses good defenders like Thatch and Strickland.

11 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I expect 22 wins from this team that is still stacked with shooters, a talented experienced point guard and enough bigs to keep teams honest.  This team also possesses good defenders like Thatch and Strickland.

Seems too optimistic. I agree we have a talented experienced point guard (but I am not excited about our back-up options at PG). I hope we are stacked with shooters, but based on the 3 point percentage from both exhibition games, I'm skeptical.  We have 2 quality bigs but they are prone to foul trouble. I think it will be very difficult to get to 22 wins this year... I sure hope I am wrong...

It seems under CTF we've had more talent than we're used to but haven't gotten the results we want (at least 1 NCAA tournament game win).  This season, I was hopeful as always but JP went down. 

I really don't know what to expect.   Our identity was "bully ball"  out rebound, hard nosed d, bad FT and streaky 3PT shooting.  I don't think we'll rebound like we did but we should hit more FTs and more 3PTers.  At the very least RWs shooting volume will have us hitting more, maybe not at a higher %, plus GJ back.  What's the identity of this team?  

cgeldmacher likes this

17 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

It seems under CTF we've had more talent than we're used to but haven't gotten the results we want (at least 1 NCAA tournament game win).  This season, I was hopeful as always but JP went down. 

I really don't know what to expect.   Our identity was "bully ball"  out rebound, hard nosed d, bad FT and streaky 3PT shooting.  I don't think we'll rebound like we did but we should hit more FTs and more 3PTers.  At the very least RWs shooting volume will have us hitting more, maybe not at a higher %, plus GJ back.  What's the identity of this team?  

I think it was going to look a lot like LSU last year - get up a lot of shots and outscore the other team.  Perkins was the guy who could command a double team once he got into a groove, making everybody else's job easier. 

Now we don't have that guy.  We'll still try and get up a lot of shots but they won't be of the same quality.  There will be teams, especially in the non-conference, that we simply won't be able to outscore.

34 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am hoping Williams becomes Isabell by the end of the season and carries the team like Isabell did.

Williams seems to have a similar skill set as Isabell.

Williams is not a known by SLU fans but he has good scoring stats.

i hear what you are saying but i didnt see isabell level talent in our first two exhibition games.  particularly handling the ball and at least having point guard moments.  hope you are right though.   imo we have very poor depth at point guard particularly now that perkins is gone and i believe nesbitt is needed there more.