• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

From the Athletic Top 20 wings in the country

13. Javonte Perkins, Saint Louis

Billikens coach Travis Ford certainly believes his guy belongs on this list, telling The Athletic that Perkins is “one of the elite scorers in all of college basketball” and arguably “the best mid-range shooter in America.” Perkins is a three-level bucket getter who goes right and left with equal aplomb and finishes through contact. Among Atlantic 10 players with at least 24 percent usage last season, Perkins had the highest offensive rating. As a sophomore, he was the nation’s third-leading scorer in junior college. As a junior, he averaged 15 points off the bench at Saint Louis to win A-10 Sixth Man of the Year. Last season, he averaged 17.1 points, 3.9 boards, 1.8 assists and shot 38 percent from 3 to earn all-conference honors. Synergy Sports has Perkins among the top 10 percent nationally in its “possessions plus assists” offensive efficiency rating. He’s an average to slightly above-average defender, which is more than enough with the way he produces on the other end.

I speak for everyone when I say I'd love to see the added off-season muscle convert itself into greater defensive capabilities. Imagine the same offensive Javonte we've always known but as someone who can reliably defend the 1-4 - that's first round NBA draft stuff.  

On 10/25/2021 at 10:17 AM, Bills By 40 said:

O/U predictions (my picks in parentheses):

Points for - 89.5 (O) - over

Points against - 64.5 (U) - over

Players used - 10.5 (O) - over

Players receiving >28 minutes - 2.5 (O) - under

Yuri assists - 9.5 (O) - under

Nesbitt points - 10.5 (O) - over

Perkins points - 14.5 (O) - over

Players w/ >9.5 rebounds - 0.5 (U) - under

Team FT% - 78.5% (O) - over

Team 3FG% - 34.5% (O)  - over

total points - 165
Quote this and the person with the most correct picks wins one of these custom decals I made 

53 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Somehow Hyunjung Lee comes in at 9: 

703EF299-5D0B-4B62-8879-708EFF3D44C2.thumb.jpeg.313023bcdfbfdb50bf307c8c1c3b77ff.jpeg

FYI Steph Curry's sophomore season at Davidson he shot 48/44/89, so he wasn't that far off from a 50/40/90 season and still hit Majerus 180.  Curry did that on 18 FGA/game compared to Lee's 9.

I don't think Lee is better than Perkins, but I do think he's the most underrated guy in the A10 by most folks.  None of the guys doing the 3 bid league podcast player rankings even seemed to consider him for the top 5 in the league.  They acted like the top 5 without question was Lofton, Osun, Perkins, Gilyard, and Golden in some order.  As the Athletic points out, Lee's shooting line last season was pretty absurd and he was only a sophomore.  I'm not sold on his ability create for himself and I don't think he's a stud on defense, but I'd still put him up there or potentially ahead of some of those guys.  Especially considering I think guys like Golden, Gilyard & Lofton have hit their ceiling alread.

56 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

FYI Steph Curry's sophomore season at Davidson he shot 48/44/89, so he wasn't that far off from a 50/40/90 season and still hit Majerus 180.  Curry did that on 18 FGA/game compared to Lee's 9.

I don't think Lee is better than Perkins, but I do think he's the most underrated guy in the A10 by most folks.  None of the guys doing the 3 bid league podcast player rankings even seemed to consider him for the top 5 in the league.  They acted like the top 5 without question was Lofton, Osun, Perkins, Gilyard, and Golden in some order.  As the Athletic points out, Lee's shooting line last season was pretty absurd and he was only a sophomore.  I'm not sold on his ability create for himself and I don't think he's a stud on defense, but I'd still put him up there or potentially ahead of some of those guys.  Especially considering I think guys like Golden, Gilyard & Lofton have hit their ceiling alread.

If he can do that when he is the guy that defenses are game planning for, then I'll give him his due. For now, count me as someone who is waiting and seeing. Not saying he can't, but I need to see it first

50 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

We lost our battleships at Pearl but the aircraft carriers were safely elsewhere......

Oh man you are going to trigger the tin foil hat wearers with this comment… my grand-pappy was on the Nevada. And we all know why the carriers were elsewhere right? 

47 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This is a huge loss, but we are better built to recover from this loss than we have been in the past.  Luckily we are extremely deep at the wing.

I was going to post your point.

If Jimerson becomes the player we think he is going to be he will be one of the go to guys and should score in double figures.

Hargrove is athletic improving his outside shot and has experience and will be a solid contributor.

Nesbitt looked shaky the first half and showed everyone the second half why we should be excited to have him on the team.

It sucks losing Perkins big time what our team would have been with him would be something special.

2 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I was going to post your point.

If Jimerson becomes the player we think he is going to be he will be one of the go to guys and should score in double figures.

Hargrove is athletic improving his outside shot and has experience and will be a solid contributor.

Nesbitt looked shaky the first half and showed everyone the second half why we should be excited to have him on the team.

It sucks losing Perkins big time what our team would have been with him would be something special.

To that list I'd add Thatch getting back to his pre-ailment elite defensive ways and Okoro as guys who have a clear path to really stepping up. 

11 hours ago, brianstl said:

This is a huge loss, but we are better built to recover from this loss than we have been in the past.  Luckily we are extremely deep at the wing.

If Perkins was going to play wing, this would be true. However he was going to play the 4 most of the time on defence.  Meaning that in most cases he would match up against the second largest player and help defend the post. Perkins strength isn't defence, but at 6,6 and 215+ with his added strength and experience, he is the best we had. We really don't have the depth at the 5, to play Okoro or Linssen at much at the 4. That leaves TJ at 6,4 and 215., and Nesbitt at 6,6 200. Offensively, we can do things to take advantage of our speed and athleticism, assuming we shoot 3s well. But on D, we are going to be undersized. A smaller athletic 4 can defend well, but it takes finesse, knowing when your feet can leave the floor, taking charges and knowing your apposing players tendencies. Stopping a taller heavier player, like French will be a problem. Some matchups are going to be very difficult for us. Our 5s are going to have to be careful not to pick up fouls when trying to help our 4s on defence.

13 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Maybe this is the thing that breaks Yuri into a star scorer? Starts full blown Yurimania.

He's proved himself a leader and his shot has looked fantastic on the three occasions I've gotten to see it recently. He knows, the team knows, the coaches know, and the fans know too that there's a hole to fill and by both scoring himself and creating points for others is how he's going to do it.  Top 10 PG in the country this year mark my words. 

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

If Perkins was going to play wing, this would be true. However he was going to play the 4 most of the time on defence.  Meaning that in most cases he would match up against the second largest player and help defend the post. Perkins strength isn't defence, but at 6,6 and 215+ with his added strength and experience, he is the best we had. We really don't have the depth at the 5, to play Okoro or Linssen at much at the 4. That leaves TJ at 6,4 and 215., and Nesbitt at 6,6 200. Offensively, we can do things to take advantage of our speed and athleticism, assuming we shoot 3s well. But on D, we are going to be undersized. A smaller athletic 4 can defend well, but it takes finesse, knowing when your feet can leave the floor, taking charges and knowing your apposing players tendencies. Stopping a taller heavier player, like French will be a problem. Some matchups are going to be very difficult for us. Our 5s are going to have to be careful not to pick up fouls when trying to help our 4s on defence.

We will be seeing more of LT than we planned for and I bet Ford has already started focusing on developing Lorentsson's interior defense. 

Hot take but I personally don't think JP was all that great at guarding the 4 so replacing his defense will be nothing compared to replacing his offense. 

Surprisingly its Perkins defense that we have a harder time replacing. 

That being said, one player who I think best replaces what Perkins gave us is Jimerson.  I think he has the best mix of 3 and mid range that Perkins showed so well.  He wont finish down low like Perkins, which is the big knock on him.

I think we see that mid range from Jimerson a lot this year.  He showed it in his first basket Tuesday.

Also Depth is a funny thing.  3 days ago it seemed like we were almost too deep at that spot.  But After the Exhibition, Its probably our thinnest position.  Nesbitt is best at the 1-2 and quite suitable at the 3, but I wouldn't feel comfortable about the 4 against most matchups.  Hargrove is best for the 3-4, thankfully.  Jimerson plays the 2-3, thats all.  Fred as well as 2-3.  Markhi is a year away from someone I would want playing serious minutes at the 4, and Andre is also a year away from playing the 4.  So with that being said, we only have 1 true player who is ready to play the 4, right now. 

Are we going to purposely play small and play 4 and 1?  We have the players to play small and relay heavily on the 3.  

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Surprisingly its Perkins defense that we have a harder time replacing. 

That being said, one player who I think best replaces what Perkins gave us is Jimerson.  I think he has the best mix of 3 and mid range that Perkins showed so well.  He wont finish down low like Perkins, which is the big knock on him.

I think we see that mid range from Jimerson a lot this year.  He showed it in his first basket Tuesday.

Also Depth is a funny thing.  3 days ago it seemed like we were almost too deep at that spot.  But After the Exhibition, Its probably our thinnest position.  Nesbitt is best at the 1-2 and quite suitable at the 3, but I wouldn't feel comfortable about the 4 against most matchups.  Hargrove is best for the 3-4, thankfully.  Jimerson plays the 2-3, thats all.  Fred as well as 2-3.  Markhi is a year away from someone I would want playing serious minutes at the 4, and Andre is also a year away from playing the 4.  So with that being said, we only have 1 true player who is ready to play the 4, right now. 

Perhaps we could not play the traditional 1-5.  Teams often play smaller or bigger depending on their assets.

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

Perhaps we could not play the traditional 1-5.  Teams often play smaller or bigger depending on their assets.

Thinking the same now, that's why I added that last little nugget

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

Come on, Perkins was going to play the wing on offense.  He was going to see some time guarding the opponent's four, but he was a below average defender.  I actually feel much better about Nesbitt having to guard the opponents 4 in in the few cases we actually will match up with teams that play two traditional bigs together.