2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

Whoa, just logged in here like 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, 757billiken said:

And I think our Swede will be a better stretch four than Cody Ellis or Izak Ohananononon.

Honestly whatever side you are on about the vaccine, I think this is by far the most controversial statement in the thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, davidnark said:

The masks aren't really about preventing the wearer from getting sick but rather from preventing the spread of the virus, which 100% relies on human hosts to spread and mutate. Without vaccines for kids, this is the only tool available to prevent kids from spreading the vaccine. However, once a person is fully vaccinated the masks admittedly deliver diminishing returns. When properly worn, mask are shown to add between 40 and 50% incremental protection. If you aren't vaccinated at all, that 40-50% protection is significant. If you are double-vaccinated with Moderna or have gotten a booster, that increment is a rounding error. 

Kids are not a significant vector for spreading covid anywhere in the world.  If you've seen data that shows otherwise I'd love to see it.

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

Whoa, just logged in here like 

giphy.gif

Honestly whatever side you are on about the vaccine, I think this is by far the most controversial statement in the thread

I think it is quite possible that he's better  than those greats & we will never know because we got too many studs in front of him.

15 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Kids are not a significant vector for spreading covid anywhere in the world.  If you've seen data that shows otherwise I'd love to see it.

Your information is wrong. I prefer facts from scientist. Here is the explanation: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/transmission_k_12_schools.html#:~:text=Similar to adults with SARS,from COVID-19.  "Studies that have systematically tested children and adolescents, irrespective of symptoms, for acute SARS-CoV-2 infection (using antigen or RT-PCR assays) or prior infection (through antibody testing) have found their rates of infection can be comparable, and in some settings higher, than in adults." 

The peer-reviewed studies are cited if you want to read them. 

29 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Your information is wrong. I prefer facts from scientist. Here is the explanation: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/transmission_k_12_schools.html#:~:text=Similar to adults with SARS,from COVID-19.  "Studies that have systematically tested children and adolescents, irrespective of symptoms, for acute SARS-CoV-2 infection (using antigen or RT-PCR assays) or prior infection (through antibody testing) have found their rates of infection can be comparable, and in some settings higher, than in adults." 

The peer-reviewed studies are cited if you want to read them. 

again, then stay home if you don't feel safe...it is your responsibility to do what is best for you and your family, NOT SOMEONE ELSE'S RESPONSIBILITY TO LOOK OUT FOR YOU. The fact is that a healthy individual has an extremely low chance of being seriously harmed or die from this virus. I can't believe this is the world you want to live in where your every action is controlled and mandated by the government... little wonder that the suicide rates are skyrocketing with all of the fear and hysteria....the fact is most of the people who are dying of the covid have already surpassed their life expectancy....for those who have a compromised immune system, they need to do what is prudent for them, but not at the expense of everyone else's freedom and liberty...sadly I think your dad may be at more risk of having a heart attack from the fear you generate than of becoming ill with the virus..

I guess it depends on your definition of the word significant......

Just to cherry pick one example:  For example, in the large UK study, most outbreak cases were associated with an index case (initial case) in a staff member.46 

It seems to be a pretty common theme that adults are more likely to bring covid to school and spread it than kids.  I'd argue that this is why many countries are not forcing masking on kids.

Again, from what I've read, kids are certainly able to get and spread covid but they don't generally get sick or spread it in a significant manor.  

1 minute ago, rgbilliken said:

I'm disappointed to see people not caring for others throughout this thread.

Maybe I am naïve for buying into the Jesuit missions of "Men and Women for Others" and "Magis."

I'm not usually a "STICK TO SPORTS" guy but maybe we should stick to sports...

Idk, I am kinda jonesing for another vaccine/driving analogy... 

William Shakespeare of Avon had the equivalent 2nd grade education in 1500’s. We have actual documents that have survived that contain his signature, and he signed his name differently every single time. His children were illiterate. There are financial records showing him being a (fairly brutal) businessman. He left zero books or manuscripts to anyone in his will. He’s the only writer of note from the era where there is not even a shred of evidence of him ever writing professionally. Sure, physical evidence from 500 years ago can be scarce, but for every other famous writer of the day, you can at least find something, save Shakespeare. And you’re going to look me in the eye and try to tell me this uneducated, brutal peasant, who could barely sign his name, wrote some of the most eloquent, emotional works of fiction of all time? Yeah, I call bullish!t on that!

11 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

I'm disappointed to see people not caring for others throughout this thread.

Maybe I am naïve for buying into the Jesuit missions of "Men and Women for Others" and "Magis."

I'm not usually a "STICK TO SPORTS" guy but maybe we should stick to sports...

Whether people will attend games or not is pertinent to this board. UNFORTUNATELY. 

48 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I guess it depends on your definition of the word significant......

Just to cherry pick one example:  For example, in the large UK study, most outbreak cases were associated with an index case (initial case) in a staff member.46 

It seems to be a pretty common theme that adults are more likely to bring covid to school and spread it than kids.  I'd argue that this is why many countries are not forcing masking on kids.

Again, from what I've read, kids are certainly able to get and spread covid but they don't generally get sick or spread it in a significant manor.  

This is my last post on this topic forever, but I am concerned that your attempted rebuttal above exemplifies the fake news issue spreading so much misinformation today. I cited you peer-reviewed, highly-powered, and well-controlled studies establishing that children acquire and spread the virus at the same rate or higher than adults (albeit typically asymptomatically), and you respond with basically an irrelevant fact that has no association with the infection and transmissibility data. 

7 minutes ago, davidnark said:

This is my last post on this topic forever, but I am concerned that your attempted rebuttal above exemplifies the fake news issue spreading so much misinformation today. I cited you peer-reviewed, highly-powered, and well-controlled studies establishing that children acquire and spread the virus at the same rate or higher than adults (albeit typically asymptomatically), and you respond with basically an irrelevant fact that has no association with the infection and transmissibility data. 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/study-finds-kids-under-10-unlikely-to-spread-coronavirus-at-school

6 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Have this really strange feeling SLU is going to finish top 2 in the league and be on solid ground for an at-large after a good non-conference. There’s so much uncertainty this year, but feel like this is going to be Travis’ best group yet, by a long shot. 

It's about damned time we had a great year without any adversity or stupidity!

bauman likes this

My only input RE: Covid from here on out is this -

How many of you that care so deeply about the health risks associated with Covid are still obese? If you are, is it because you don't trust when science says it's terrible for you or because you're a philosophically inconsistent cherry-picker? 

My input RE: Billiken basketball is this -

Regardless of how many of y'all come or don't come to Chaifetz, these boys are gonna be real good. The preseason rankings shock me and lead me to believe the only thing anyone focused on is the departure of Has and Goodwin. 

I truly believe we will be better than either of the last two seasons and I sure hope I'm not proven wrong. 

Bills71 and drkelsey55 like this

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

or eating poison mushrooms at that upcoming family thanksgiving. 

I don't think your family is doing Thanksgiving right.  But I now have visions of a pre-dinner mushroom hunt.  Is it before or after the airing of grievances and feats of strength?

40 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

True but the board has proven time and time again that it can’t handle any discussion regarding COVID without it quickly going off the rails. 

To be fair it’s not just the board that has proven this. Society as whole has proven it can’t handle any discussion regarding Covid.

People need to realize that they aren’t going to change any ones opinion (especially on a message board) so there is really no reason to argue about it.