2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

7 hours ago, bauman said:

I  can't believe that SLU  will not require some vaccination, or negative w/in 72 hrs test result, to allow people to attend games.  The Blues can do it with twice the attendance.  If that winds up as the final policy I will not be attending any games.  They can sell my seat to an anti-vaxer from north St Louis city or county or Franklin County.

That policy has to change.

I fully agree. My father has hardly missed a home game over the last 40 years, but he hasn't renewed his season tickets because they haven't instituted a vaccine-check policy like nearly every other major indoor entertainment venue in the city. It is quite shocking considering the university otherwise has a vaccine requirement. I did note that at least one person associate with large funding for the university has tweeted anti mandate stuff, so I wonder if there may be some undue influence. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, brianstl said:

I believe later research and contact tracing determined that the game itself wasn’t the super spreader event. The tracing determined that the spread far more likely occurred in the bars and restaurants the traveling fans visited.

It really doesn't matter. It isn't about super-spreaders. It is about protecting individuals from those who aren't willing to do their part to help stop the spread of a community health crisis. As Charles Barkley put so simply and eloquently, "You get vaccinated to protect those around you, not yourself."

32 minutes ago, davidnark said:

It really doesn't matter. It isn't about super-spreaders. It is about protecting individuals from those who aren't willing to do their part to help stop the spread of a community health crisis. As Charles Barkley put so simply and eloquently, "You get vaccinated to protect those around you, not yourself."

I got vaccinated so I didn’t have to care who was vaccinated around me. 

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

HEY, DID YOU GET VACCINATED??????? THEN WHY AREN'T YOU PROTECTED ?????? if you're really that concerned about protecting others, how about banning beer sales at games??? wouldn't that make it safer for the motorist on the road after the games????? oh, but that would hit home.... if you don't want to go stay home, better yet, never leave your house, safety at all costs, right????

CBFan and drkelsey55 like this

I am vaccinated and I will get a booster.  I worry about the things I can control and not health safety theater.  The science so far has shown that places that have good ventilation systems that replace the air quickly, like most modern arenas, are relatively safe.  That should be far more important to anyone going to the game than what worthless things they do before you enter the game.  

Also, spare me the stupid slogans and hate directed towards our neighbors.

billiken_roy likes this

Look man nothing anyone says on a message board is gonna make you feel any safer I get that. I was in your position for a long time and I struggled hard with it emotionally. I have an aunt with every respiratory issue on the books. A mother who battled for her life and won leading up to the pandemic. I get it. But at the end of the day the vaccine is extremely effective at preventing serious illness and death. They’ve both been vaccinated and I’m happy for that. They don’t care much to go to sporting events anymore but I would have no issue taking them. I believe in the science involved with the vaccine that they are adequate protected by it, as am I.

I have come to grips with this lack of safety requirements.  My only real concern are all the idiots who will find all kinds of ways to attend without actually keeping their mask up.  I was on a SW flight recently and two women sitting in front of me puled their masks down when the drinks were served.  There were three of them total with one keeping her mask up as required.  The other two played that game with an empty cup pretending like they were drinking even though the requirement was cup down mask up.  Eventually a flight attendant approached them and the two women looked at her like what do you want.  After a couple of moments the two pulled their masks back up.  My point is if airlines can not get compliance in such a confined area how will the arena do it?  This can all work if people just will comply with the mask requirements and not play stupid games.

RUBillsFan likes this

I don't particularly care but I am honestly surprised considering the vaccine requirement for students and faculty and that covid tanked our season last year (not saying the players are at risk from unvaccinated fans - just that it would be on people's minds). I actually expected the overkill approach of both proof of vaccination and masks 

Littlebill likes this

I am probably asking for a refund on my tickets as well after seeing this reckless and outright dangerous policy enacted by the university.

You are not fully vaccinated unless you have the booster. Just look at all the breakthrough cases among the double vaxxed. I'm triple vaxxed and only the triple vaxxed should be allowed to be indoors in large groups, fully masked of course.

It's appalling that SLU should think it's ok to sit me next to a dirty double vaxxed person much less a sub human anti vaxxer. The only place an anti vaxxer should be allowed to go to is prison.

11 hours ago, bauman said:

I  can't believe that SLU  will not require some vaccination, or negative w/in 72 hrs test result, to allow people to attend games.  The Blues can do it with twice the attendance.  If that winds up as the final policy I will not be attending any games.  They can sell my seat to someone who is more comfortable attending a game with these requirements.

That policy has to change.

FIFY

I am vaccinated twice and the second shot made me sick for 8 days and my doctor does not want me to take the third yet.  I was so sick from the second shot I am more afraid of the third than the virus and I should be able to attend games inside.

I completely disagree that SLU is being reckless on their stance and I feel finally that somebody is being reasonable.

For those that feel SLU is reckless do you speed in traffic, run red lights, driven intoxicated or have caused a car accident that hurt another person?  I am scared of the reckless drivers I have to deal with every day not the unvaccinated.  After the pandemic is over I still have to be concerned of reckless drivers.

HenryB likes this

I will give the naysayers the benefit of the doubt and assume they struggled in their science and statistics courses and it is not a matter of pure selfishness or ignorance. As we all well know, the vaccines are important and necessary, but they do not provide complete protection. The level of protection they provide is a function of type of vaccine, time since vaccinated, age, exposure level, personal health condition, and other factors.

For someone like me (a fully vaccinated 40 something) and my basketball-crazed son (a fully vaccinated and healthy 15-year-old), the health risks from a breakthrough Covid case are minimal, and therefore we renewed our tickets and will be attending games. By contrast, a breakthrough case for my 77-year-old father who has underlying health conditions could be catastrophic. The reality is that my father is much more representative of most of the SLU season ticket fan base and allowing the unvaccinated and untested in the building presents the biggest risk to this group. The university certainly understands this risk and has implemented vaccine mandates in all other campus facilities. For it not to impose the same safeguards and protections at Chaifetz—already in place at nearby Enterprise Center, Powell, and Fox—is disappointing and shocking. This decision could literally kill longtime fans. 

Steve is free to shut this thread down, but I think this is a relevant and important issue for the program and this season. 

What I have trouble with is putting any faith into the ticket taker who is supposed to 'validate' your vaccination/testing status.  Put a photo of anyone's card in front of them and you are in.  Show any test, no matter the date, and you are in.  I have passed through several similar checkpoints in the past month, and if it was my intent to beat the system, it is unbelievable easy.  I have no faith that the person next to me has been vaccinated or has tested, based on the ticket taker's 5 second review.  If I don't trust the system in place, I don't go. 

Only at one place, the Rep, did they ask for the Card, my photo ID out of my wallet, and spent several moments looking at me, my ID and the card. And there were maybe 50 people total in attendance.   Other locations have simply acknowledged that I showed them something- anything, and let me pass.

As we all well know, the vaccines are important and necessary, but they do not provide complete protection. The level of protection they provide is a function of type of vaccine, time since vaccinated, age, exposure level, personal health condition, and other factors.

For someone like me (a fully vaccinated 40 something) and my basketball-crazed son (a fully vaccinated and healthy 15-year-old), the health risks from a breakthrough Covid case are minimal, and therefore we renewed our tickets and will be attending games. By contrast, a breakthrough case for my 77-year-old father who has underlying health conditions could be catastrophic. The reality is that my father is much more representative of most of the SLU season ticket fan base and allowing the unvaccinated and untested in the building presents the biggest risk to this group. The university certainly understands this risk and has implemented vaccine mandates in all other campus facilities. For it not to impose the same safeguards and protections at Chaifetz—already in place at nearby Enterprise Center, Powell, and Fox—is disappointing and shocking. This decision could literally kill longtime fans. 

Steve is free to shut this thread down, but I think this is a relevant and important issue for the program and this season. The university has put it's senior fan base in a difficult position to accommodate the small percentage of people who are unwilling to do their part to help eliminate a community health crisis. 

David, besides the issues of safety and health protection, the University is concerned by revenue. Revenue is a very important issue for them. The issue is how to keep enough people happy and attending events and still get a least a break even revenue or a profit out of the event. TV and broadcasting play a part in this, as does beer and other sales (Billiken attire for example). They cannot run the Chaifetz at a loss, not forever anyway. This is not unlike a tightrope act, blamed if you do, blamed if you don't. They need revenue.

4 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

ridiculous....if your father feels he is not safe, let him stay home, that's his choice.....and if a healthy young individual, who has virtually a zero percent chance of dying from Covid, doesn't want an EXPERIMENTAL vaccine injected into their arm, that should be THEIR CHOICE...please note how not one of these haters of the unvaccinated, want to comment on the notion of banning alcohol sales in the arena, when it would clearly make people safer when driving home...why is that????? well obviously they want mandates, but only when it fits their personal agenda....

4 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

48 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am vaccinated twice and the second shot made me sick for 8 days and my doctor does not want me to take the third yet.  I was so sick from the second shot I am more afraid of the third than the virus and I should be able to attend games inside.

I completely disagree that SLU is being reckless on their stance and I feel finally that somebody is being reasonable.

For those that feel SLU is reckless do you speed in traffic, run red lights, driven intoxicated or have caused a car accident that hurt another person?  I am scared of the reckless drivers I have to deal with every day not the unvaccinated.  After the pandemic is over I still have to be concerned of reckless drivers.

Honestly man, you are someone who should be most upset about the lack of a vaccine / negative test requirement.  As your immunity from the first 2 vaccines wanes, you are going to be at a much higher risk of serious illness / death.  You seem to have a legit medical reason to not get the vaccine, but a lot of other bozos don't.  Their selfishness / idiocy / fear of needles is putting YOU at risk when you go to a SLU game that doesn't have a vaccine / negative test requirement.  Of course, you'd have the small inconvenience of getting tested sometime before a game, but that's pretty easy now with relatively abundant free drive-thru rapid testing available.

majerus mojo likes this

image.png.32d002612bd043e96b4ed34d5f266f94.png

Vaccines are safe & effective, but age is still a major factor in the seriousness of COVID infections.  What @davidnark is saying  about his dad not being comfortable attending games matches the data.  Even vaccinated, he's at a higher risk of serious illness than an unvaccinated person who is less than 30.  We've all been to games & know that a big portion of our fanbase falls into the high risk age group.  I'm really surprised the University isn't doing more to protect those people.

rgbilliken likes this

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

a SLU game that doesn't have a vaccine / negative test requirement. 

So you feel much safer after a minimum wage ticket taker spends one second looking at whatever you show them on your iphone?  Will they ask you to hand over your driver's license and check the name on the card/test and then insure the photo on it is you?  Or that the negative test is up to date and it is indeed you who took the test?  Or do they just want to get you through the turnstile, scan your ticket, and get onto the next person in line? 

I'm vaccinated, but to me the verification step for large crowds at sporting events is all but useless.  But if it makes you feel safer, good for you. 

30 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

please note how not one of these haters of the unvaccinated, want to comment on the notion of banning alcohol sales in the arena, when it would clearly make people safer when driving home...why is that????? well obviously they want mandates, but only when it fits their personal agenda....

You understand that it IS illegal to drink and drive, right?  I like that "mandate" fitting my personal agenda just as I like any vaccine mandate.

majerus mojo likes this