2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Seems as tho a Nesbit highlight everyday in practice.  No doubt he is so something.

He is going to have a big time role for sure. 

What is our overall projected contribution for Lorenstsen? 

a euro sticking around just to be a practice body doesn’t make much sense to me.  Maybe he cracks rotation? 

9 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

He is going to have a big time role for sure. 

What is our overall projected contribution for Lorenstsen? 

a euro sticking around just to be a practice body doesn’t make much sense to me.  Maybe he cracks rotation? 

I see Lorentsson being a 12th man - maybe play in a third of the games.  There will be opportunities to get on the floor when someone is in foul trouble or injured or we're blowing someone out.  If he sticks around, he's got a serious chance of making the rotation next year.  I don't see Linssen sticking around beyond this year.  He will already have a Master's degree.

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I see Lorentsson being a 12th man - maybe play in a third of the games.  There will be opportunities to get on the floor when someone is in foul trouble or injured or we're blowing someone out.  If he sticks around, he's got a serious chance of making the rotation next year.  I don't see Linssen sticking around beyond this year.  He will already have a Master's degree.

Someone on Twitter mentioned that he was the leading scorer the other day in a scrimmage while being on the lower end of shot attempts. That could be exciting if true.

11 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Someone on Twitter mentioned that he was the leading scorer the other day in a scrimmage while being on the lower end of shot attempts. That could be exciting if true.

Here it is:

Not sure if Bills by 40 posts on here or not.  If he does maybe he can provide more insight.

25 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Here it is:

Not sure if Bills by 40 posts on here or not.  If he does maybe he can provide more insight.

There is a poster on this site that goes by that name.

39 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

If Lorentson can play, then this is just a loaded team.

This is going to be a weird year. There are a lot of loaded teams because of COVID. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I’m not making a prediction on if, or how much Lorentsson will play, but I will say that I don’t put any stock in last year to what he could be going forward. Remember it took weeks (even months maybe) before he could even get on campus because of all the student visas issues due to covid. He was so far behind everybody else in terms of learning the offenses and defenses. Then you add all the work I’m sure he had with conditioning and in the weight room. Then you add in living in a completely different country and going class and all that. He deserves to have a clean slate going into this year. And from following the guys on social media, they all seem to love him. I’d love to see him get some run this year, even if it’s just in blowouts.

dennis_w and cgeldmacher like this

19 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I’m not making a prediction on if, or how much Lorentsson will play, but I will say that I don’t put any stock in last year to what he could be going forward. Remember it took weeks (even months maybe) before he could even get on campus because of all the student visas issues due to covid. He was so far behind everybody else in terms of learning the offenses and defenses. Then you add all the work I’m sure he had with conditioning and in the weight room. Then you add in living in a completely different country and going class and all that. He deserves to have a clean slate going into this year. And from following the guys on social media, they all seem to love him. I’d love to see him get some run this year, even if it’s just in blowouts.

And let's remember that he is just a FR in eligibility, like Strickland and ready for it???

Gibson.

Reinert310 likes this

8 minutes ago, bauman said:

And let's remember that he is just a FR in eligibility, like Strickland and ready for it???

Gibson.

That will never stop amazing me lol

Good interview with Travis on KTRS this evening. I can’t remember everything. He sounded tired and less coach speak optimism than the off-season. I think that’s a good sign; he’s getting locked in. 

Sounded like Okoro is still getting his rhythm back but coach is optimistic. Said Perkins, Williams, Jimerson, Lorentsson and Nesbitt have all been shooting the ball really well. Sounded very positive about Lorentsson, who he said had 18 points in 25 minute scrimmage today. Pointed to Fred, Yuri, Linssen and JP as the leaders (those are the four captains so makes sense that he’d single them out). Said Nesbitt still has a lot to learn but will play big minutes. Williams is learning that a higher intensity of defense is needed at this level and is making big improvements. Wants more consistency out of Hargrove. 

16 minutes ago, NH said:

Good interview with Travis on KTRS this evening. I can’t remember everything. He sounded tired and less coach speak optimism than the off-season. I think that’s a good sign; he’s getting locked in. 

Sounded like Okoro is still getting his rhythm back but coach is optimistic. Said Perkins, Williams, Jimerson, Lorentsson and Nesbitt have all been shooting the ball really well. Sounded very positive about Lorentsson, who he said had 18 points in 25 minute scrimmage today. Pointed to Fred, Yuri, Linssen and JP as the leaders (those are the four captains so makes sense that he’d single them out). Said Nesbitt still has a lot to learn but will play big minutes. Williams is learning that a higher intensity of defense is needed at this level and is making big improvements.

Wants more consistency out of Hargrove. 

One time could be an aberration, two times is a trend.  Lorentsson has to be ahead of Jones and Strickland on the depth chart, right?

1 hour ago, NH said:

Sounded like Okoro is still getting his rhythm back but coach is optimistic. Said Perkins, Williams, Jimerson, Lorentsson and Nesbitt have all been shooting the ball really well. Sounded very positive about Lorentsson, who he said had 18 points in 25 minute scrimmage today. Pointed to Fred, Yuri, Linssen and JP as the leaders (those are the four captains so makes sense that he’d single them out). Said Nesbitt still has a lot to learn but will play big minutes. Williams is learning that a higher intensity of defense is needed at this level and is making big improvements.

Wants more consistency out of Hargrove. 

More to add to your post:  thanks for the heads up on the interview.

He wants Perkins to average over 20 ppg, and he wants him to play through contact.

Collins needs to average 8 to 9 apg as well as keeping turnovers low.  He has taken keys from Goodwin and now is directing on the court.  Collins doesn't have to become the best shooter on the team but he has to keep defense's honest.

It is up to Hargrove if he is going to take the next step.  TJ needs to say "You can count on this from me.  This is why I deserve to play."  He has to be consistent in his strengths. 

Okoro's offense game is a work in progress.  They are working on his confidence, but he can influence the game with his athleticism.  Okoro needs to 'find' his points......such as, 4 points on offensive rebounds, 4 points on FT, 4 points on beating the defense down the court for easy layups.

This still is all new to Nesbitt. He has to understand the details of offense and defense.  You can't rest on defense like you can in HS.  Ultra talented, ultra skilled, and very competitive.

Williams.....when you get on a better team (from Oakland) it is about percentages, not volume of shots.  Asking him to take better shots.  He can get hot fast, he can hit three or four 3's in a row. 

Said Lorentsson is the most improved player from start of this year to now.

Depth is important, as long as it produces.  A lot of our players are unproven at this point in time.  These new players, how quickly do they pick up the system, and what it takes to win at this level.  At this time last year, most of the key players were returning players.  Not the same this year.

32 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

One time could be an aberration, two times is a trend.  Lorentsson has to be ahead of Jones and Strickland on the depth chart, right?

I think yours or anyone else's guess is as good as mine at this point. Last year Lorentsson didn't play because he couldn't defend. In moments of pressure, Travis always reverts to his most aggressive defenders, so how Lorentsson has progressed on that end of the ball will be the true indicator, because there is no doubt that he could help us on offense.

I cannot put my finger on Markhi's place. He has size and athleticism that is hard to find in the A-10. I'd love to see him carve out a role because of the defensive flexibility he could offer. Both he and Lorentsson could be due for a bigger leap than we realize given how their growth may have been stunted by the COVID season.

From Coach Ford's tone, it doesn't sound like their has been much separation made by the role guys yet. We know this will happen. My guess is we will have some games in our grueling December where certain players lose minutes and others are given chances they may not have had at the start of the year. 

We have a lot of players who probably feel like they deserve minutes. That is a difficult balance in today's day and age where players expect to play from day one. TeamBlue will have to continue doing a good job of keeping chemistry and continuity throughout.

billikenbill likes this

HP, I might be mis-remembering, but I thought Coach said Williams was the most improved player from the start of workouts.

Ford's comments on the players were all pretty much as a result of questions from the host-  No Q's on GJ , MS, the Cent Ark transfer, LT, Fred or ML so Ford didn't have any comments on them, other than a passing thought.  The only player not questioned about who drew comments from TF was Lorentsson.  Ford mentioned that they had a 25 minute scrimmage with officials and as noted above AL had 18 points with about 4 shots from the arc.  Coach did mention that we have improved our 3 pt shooting with JP, GJ, Williams, Lorentsson and Nesbitt

3star_recruit likes this

36 minutes ago, bauman said:

HP, I might be mis-remembering, but I thought Coach said Williams was the most improved player from the start of workouts.

Ford's comments on the players were all pretty much as a result of questions from the host-  No Q's on GJ , MS, the Cent Ark transfer, LT, Fred or ML so Ford didn't have any comments on them, other than a passing thought.  The only player not questioned about who drew comments from TF was Lorentsson.  Ford mentioned that they had a 25 minute scrimmage with officials and as noted above AL had 18 points with about 4 shots from the arc.  Coach did mention that we have improved our 3 pt shooting with JP, GJ, Williams, Lorentsson and Nesbitt

here is a link to the interview....

RUBillsFan and Old guy like this

3 hours ago, bauman said:

Yes he said that a few weeks ago, but perhaps Lorentsson has risen ahead of Williams on the 'improvement' list.  I don't know. (Also, to my knowledge Williams hasn't received his waiver.  Many, many 2X transfers have.)

They did run out of time on the interview, not getting to discuss the rest of the roster in detail.

48 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes he said that a few weeks ago, but perhaps Lorentsson has risen ahead of Williams on the 'improvement' list.  I don't know. (Also, to my knowledge Williams hasn't received his waiver.  Many, many 2X transfers have.)

They did run out of time on the interview, not getting to discuss the rest of the roster in detail.

Coach Ford described both Williams' and Lorentsson's improvement in similar terms last night.  So they're tied for first.

Getting anything out of Lorentsson would be a pleasant surprise. It's always nice to have a stretch big. Based on pictures and video he certainly looks like he has bulked up. Not sure about his defense and rebounding, but if he can do it at a passable level, maybe he carves out a niche this year.