2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Okoro was still a part of the team last year too. He just didn’t play. I’m sure he’s more than proficient with the system, sets and rotations. 

Maybe, though It’s hard to learn those things when you’re not practicing. I’m sure he has a head start on the newcomers. 

-I know most of the Open Practice is for fun but I would like to see the following, put Yuri under the free throw line on one end with a ball rack and Jones on the other, put 3 of GibJim, TJ, Markhi, Fred, Nesbitt, JPerk around each 3pt line and have passes thrown and say "make 3's", make it a contest, shoot one end at a time through the rack, let's see them make shots with their first audience of the season, I have more interest in this than a slam dunk exhibition 

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Can’t say for sure, but from the clips posted it looks like in the scrimmages they’ve been running a first six (in white/gray) vs second six in blue. 

first six: Perkins, Yuri, Fred, TJ, Linssen, Nesbitt 

second six:  Okoro, Williams, Jones, Strickland, Traore 

haven’t noticed Gibson at all. not necessarily a first team/second team deal, but those are certainly not balanced squads.  And if it is a starters/reserves thing, Okoro is trying to get moved up based on that dunk… holy s***

Way too early for the coaches to put out a projected top 5 or 6 ..... they are mixing it up.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I think he was the guy Yurimania stole the ball from. 

I think that was Jones (who it looks like has been wearing #14 in practice?)

GJ corrals the ball at the end of the Nesbitt block video and then is about to take a shot at the end. 

2 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-I know most of the Open Practice is for fun but I would like to see the following, put Yuri under the free throw line on one end with a ball rack and Jones on the other, put 3 of GibJim, TJ, Markhi, Fred, Nesbitt, JPerk around each 3pt line and have passes thrown and say "make 3's", make it a contest, shoot one end at a time through the rack, let's see them make shots with their first audience of the season, I have more interest in this than a slam dunk exhibition 

This is a great idea, but why not both? With Okoro, TJ, Nesbitt, Strickland, the dunk contest is gonna be must-see TV too

Not sure how strong St B’s bench is this year,  but I think the best way to topple them is by speeding it up with our burners. I’m hoping Okoro will neutralize Osini and then we  wear them down with numbers. 

I feel UD is being under rated. It will depend on how quickly Grant can mold his talent into a team, which is similar to the problem Ford has just not as great since we have a core group of returnees. 
For some reason, I don’t fear Richmond as much as UD and VCU. No doubt they are an experienced bunch, but they always seem to fall short of expectations. Time to walk the talk, Spiders. 

19 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Not sure how strong St B’s bench is this year,  but I think the best way to topple them is by speeding it up with our burners. I’m hoping Okoro will neutralize Osini and then we  wear them down with numbers. 

I feel UD is being under rated. It will depend on how quickly Grant can mold his talent into a team, which is similar to the problem Ford has just not as great since we have a core group of returnees. 
For some reason, I don’t fear Richmond as much as UD and VCU. No doubt they are an experienced bunch, but they always seem to fall short of expectations. Time to walk the talk, Spiders. 

Shooting was the way to neutralize them last year. They are tough if you cannot spread them out and need to hit layups.

49 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Shooting was the way to neutralize them last year. They are tough if you cannot spread them out and need to hit layups.

Hard to get layups on that Hoover they plant by the basket. I think we lost that tourney game because we played right into their slow down style. St B’s ranked high in national defense stats, because they played slow ball just to keep their starters from getting worn out. I don’t know if their bench has been reinforced, but if you speed them up I think they can be had. Plus you’ll take Osini out of the game if you’re getting a lot of your points off fast breaks. 

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

The spiders have been picked high for a clue seasons and always underachieve. I say they finish 5th.

I wasn't big on the Bonnies last year and I remain skeptical this year.  Osunniyi is a tree planted in the lane.  He can't do anything to shots from distance.  You have to make them however.  And you take the ball at a shot blocker.  Maybe Okoro is better suited to do that than French was.  Holmes is streaky and he started with confidence last year.  Welch is just a three point shooter.  Adaway is the glue to that fivesome right behind Lofton.  

The bench HAS to be improved because it can't be any worse than what it was last year.  Coulibaly from Pitt didn't light the ACC on fire but he did play 48 games over two years and was respectable.  At 6'8" he'll likely see less competition in the A10 than he did in the ACC.  Should be a plus over Jalen Shaw.  Adams transfers in from Wake Forest and he only saw action in 8 games.  Don't know if this kid is related to former Bona star Jaylen Adams.  I can't find any stats on the 6'9" JUCO Durosinmi.  He was a freshman last year at Harcum so I suspect there will be a learning process as he adapts to the D1 level.  Another JUCO, Linton Brown, averaged over 18 ppg and made 73 of 151 threes last year.  He's a guy I see contributing right away.  He's  a 6'5" guard and can likely sub for Holmes, Adaway and Welch.  Anybody would be better than Alejandro Vasquez.  

13 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I wasn't big on the Bonnies last year and I remain skeptical this year.  Osunniyi is a tree planted in the lane.  He can't do anything to shots from distance.  You have to make them however.  And you take the ball at a shot blocker.  Maybe Okoro is better suited to do that than French was.  Holmes is streaky and he started with confidence last year.  Welch is just a three point shooter.  Adaway is the glue to that fivesome right behind Lofton.  

The bench HAS to be improved because it can't be any worse than what it was last year.  Coulibaly from Pitt didn't light the ACC on fire but he did play 48 games over two years and was respectable.  At 6'8" he'll likely see less competition in the A10 than he did in the ACC.  Should be a plus over Jalen Shaw.  Adams transfers in from Wake Forest and he only saw action in 8 games.  Don't know if this kid is related to former Bona star Jaylen Adams.  I can't find any stats on the 6'9" JUCO Durosinmi.  He was a freshman last year at Harcum so I suspect there will be a learning process as he adapts to the D1 level.  Another JUCO, Linton Brown, averaged over 18 ppg and made 73 of 151 threes last year.  He's a guy I see contributing right away.  He's  a 6'5" guard and can likely sub for Holmes, Adaway and Welch.  Anybody would be better than Alejandro Vasquez.  

If you would have picked the Bonnies to finish top four over the last 4 years you would have been right 3 years.  Mark Schmidt doesn't need much.  The defensive player of the year in the conference and a first team All conference guard is plenty. 

His guards will play iron man minutes a la Jon Chaney, get back on defense and make you score against the shot clock.  Even if we manage to solve this puzzle I doubt the rest of the league will and that's enough to compete for another conference championship.

Based on Taj Mahal 79’s comments it appears the Brownies have added some bench strength. Question is does Schmidt change their style based on his new reinforcements? Last year I think he played slow ball just to keep his main guys fresh. He’s a good coach, so I would not be surprised to see a different style this season. They’ll be tough but they’re no Zaga. 

No arguments with 3star;s response.  Here's a question ... are all five of Bona's starters juniors or seniors?  They were juniors last  year and what with COVID and last year doesn't count, they are juniors again this year.  Meaning they'll all could be back next year, yes?

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

No arguments with 3star;s response.  Here's a question ... are all five of Bona's starters juniors or seniors?  They were juniors last  year and what with COVID and last year doesn't count, they are juniors again this year.  Meaning they'll all could be back next year, yes?

I would guess that's correct.  And who wouldn't want to spend a fifth year in Olean NY???

12 minutes ago, bauman said:

I would guess that's correct.  And who wouldn't want to spend a fifth year in Olean NY???

haha. funny such a ?, no way would even be asked pre "alternative facts" era. y would Bonnies eligibility be any different than any of the other 351 D 1 teams. even NY Poly? we all got the same treatment as it should be.

38 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Is there a way for this board/thread to auto-port the SLU mbb Twitter feed when it posts something?

Agreed. Put up a clip of Gibson hitting two 3’s within about 15 seconds today.