2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

15 - 20 mpg minimum

Fair enough. I asked and you answered.  Thank you.

So for last season only Goodwin, French, Perkins, Collins, Jimerson and Thatch got "serious minutes" at 15+ mpg. 

Hargrove, Linssen, Jacobs and Bell didn't meet that criteria.  Hmm.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Fair enough. I asked and you answered.  Thank you.

So for last season only Goodwin, French, Perkins, Collins, Jimerson and Thatch got "serious minutes" at 15+ mpg. 

Hargrove, Linssen, Jacobs and Bell didn't meet that criteria.  Hmm.

jacobs was close.  so i would throw him in mainly because goodwin was such a minutes eater. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

jacobs was close.  so i would throw him in mainly because goodwin was such a minutes eater. 

Okay, then it is 14 to 20 mpg minimum. 

Linssen played in every game, (Jacobs missed one,) played 44 minutes fewer than Jacobs, and was behind another Minutes Eater in French.  If Linssen didn't foul as often as he did, (he had BY FAR the highest foul rate on the team) his minutes likely would have been noticeably higher.

So can we add Linssen to the serious minutes list?

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay, then it is 14 to 20 mpg minimum. 

Linssen played in every game, (Jacobs missed one,) played 44 minutes fewer than Jacobs, and was behind another Minutes Eater in French.  If Linssen didn't foul as often as he did, (he had BY FAR the highest foul rate on the team) his minutes likely would have been noticeably higher.

So can we add Linssen to the serious minutes list?

well no doubt linssen will play.   just the structure of the roster says he will approach 20 minutes per game.   maybe he gets the lions share of jacobs minutes there's no doubt we have enough guards on the roster that unless ford finally embraces playing fast we dont need that many guards as he wont play them.  

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Hope Nesbitt reads this.

"The ultimate X-factor on both ends of the floor is Memphis transfer Jordan Nesbitt, who, like Okoro, is returning closer to home after a frustrating start to his college career. In fact, he basically did not see the floor for the Tigers despite being a former top 100 recruit, and that total lack of usage could indicate that he is not quite ready for the college game."

bauman and HoosierPal like this

1 hour ago, drkelsey55 said:

Hope Nesbitt reads this.

"The ultimate X-factor on both ends of the floor is Memphis transfer Jordan Nesbitt, who, like Okoro, is returning closer to home after a frustrating start to his college career. In fact, he basically did not see the floor for the Tigers despite being a former top 100 recruit, and that total lack of usage could indicate that he is not quite ready for the college game."

I also found your highlighted clause interesting.  I wonder where or how the author determined that.  You didn't put emphasis on "could indicate" and my guess is the author is guessing.  But Strickland according to Ford wasn't ready for the college game last season.  So you never know.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

well no doubt linssen will play.   just the structure of the roster says he will approach 20 minutes per game.   maybe he gets the lions share of jacobs minutes there's no doubt we have enough guards on the roster that unless ford finally embraces playing fast we dont need that many guards as he wont play them.  

I'm confused.  Linssen getting Jacob's minutes? I'm seeing Linssen duplicating his 2021-21 minutes and then adding the spill over from French's minutes that Okoro doesn't get.  Okoro was a 13-17 minute player at Oregon. I doubt if he doubles that to match French's history.  I suspect there will be plenty of additional minutes for Martin.

3star_recruit likes this

maybe i imagined this, but i thought i heard ford yesterday in that interview insinuate that linssen and okoro would likely play at the same time quite a bit.   i.e. he would be taking another player's minutes, not okoro's in those instances.  

im not saying linssen would play jacobs position when he got minutes.   i'm just saying some of jacobs minutes will go to linssen and when that happens the billikens are "going big".

the only way this roster makes sense with the abundance of guards is if the billikens are using 3 sometimes 4 guards at a time.  my hope (as it is every year) that the billikens then turn up the tempo and play fast on both ends and utilize those guards.   but if they dont speed up the game, imo they might as well utilize the insider bigs and at least own the lane.  

dennis_w likes this

14 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Well, last year he had 10 in his regular rotation.  Nine players all averaged double figure minutes, playing in all games they were not injured. Jimmy Bell averaged 8.8 mpg, but played in 19 of the 21. 

What criteria do you use for being in the rotation and/or serious minutes?  There are only 200 minutes per game to divide up.

-bad on me as I would have never guessed there were 9 guys averaging over 10mpg last season

-to me serious minutes is half the game

-I haven't listened to the segment and I saw the note about a 1-3-1, but part of having a group that large play serious minutes indicates a style of play that is fast paced, frankly I don't care what style of play we use as long as we win

Everyone should read the Three Man Weave article.  To me, it is the best look at  the A10, top to bottom, and examines every roster in a deep, inquisitive look.  It was written before the Jamir Watkins injury at VCU so it is lacking some slight points but it's flaws are far and few between.

The questions remain at guard for a lot of these teams.  Especially at point guard which is a massive problem if you don't have one.  Dayton is unproven with Elijah Weaver as the sole point as they wait for the two freshmen to develop.  VCU is substantially hampered without Baldwin.  Both Richmond and SLU are heavily reliant on one guy --- Gilyard and Collins.  Either goes down and trouble will ensue.  Ditto the Bonnies and Lofton.  Neither Welch nor Holmes are true points as Lofton is.  But the top five are essentially examined spot-on.

The rest are hurting as well.  Umass has Fernandes.  Rhodey has Sheperd unless Carey regains some form.  And it is unknown city at the rest.  Yes, La Salle has Brickus, but do they have enough finishers?  Mason and Geedubya have no one and while Bishop is a decent scorer, he left a lot to be desired at Foggy Bottom last year.  Duquesne is an unknown.  And while some think Jordan Hall is a lottery pick, he still has the same supporting cast as last year.  Still, best read and analysis I've ever seen on the A10.  

I think the bulk of our minutes will go to Perkins, Collins and Thatch.  Okoro and Linssen should split the 40 mpg or so required at the traditional five spot.  Nesbitt seems an easy bet to get a lot of minutes as well.  That will likely leave a lot of a particular game minutes to Williams, Jimerson and Jones depending on whos got the hot hand.  I expect Hargrove in there as well.  That's seven to eight guys, which is a Ford rotational staple.  Strickland is intriguing.  All in all, I think a very decent year is on the horizon despite no French and no Goodwin.

AGB91 and CBFan like this

19 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Everyone should read the Three Man Weave article.  To me, it is the best look at  the A10, top to bottom, and examines every roster in a deep, inquisitive look.  It was written before the Jamir Watkins injury at VCU so it is lacking some slight points but it's flaws are far and few between.

The questions remain at guard for a lot of these teams.  Especially at point guard which is a massive problem if you don't have one.  Dayton is unproven with Elijah Weaver as the sole point as they wait for the two freshmen to develop.  VCU is substantially hampered without Baldwin.  Both Richmond and SLU are heavily reliant on one guy --- Gilyard and Collins.  Either goes down and trouble will ensue.  Ditto the Bonnies and Lofton.  Neither Welch nor Holmes are true points as Lofton is.  But the top five are essentially examined spot-on.

The rest are hurting as well.  Umass has Fernandes.  Rhodey has Sheperd unless Carey regains some form.  And it is unknown city at the rest.  Yes, La Salle has Brickus, but do they have enough finishers?  Mason and Geedubya have no one and while Bishop is a decent scorer, he left a lot to be desired at Foggy Bottom last year.  Duquesne is an unknown.  And while some think Jordan Hall is a lottery pick, he still has the same supporting cast as last year.  Still, best read and analysis I've ever seen on the A10.  

I think the bulk of our minutes will go to Perkins, Collins and ThatchOkoro and Linssen should split the 40 mpg or so required at the traditional five spot.  Nesbitt seems an easy bet to get a lot of minutes as well.  That will likely leave a lot of a particular game minutes to Williams, Jimerson and Jones depending on whos got the hot hand.  I expect Hargrove in there as well.  That's seven to eight guys, which is a Ford rotational staple.  Strickland is intriguing.  All in all, I think a very decent year is on the horizon despite no French and no Goodwin.

You just named ten guys.  I agree that's where Ford's 9 man rotation (same as he had last year, and the year before that) will come from.  Jones is a nice insurance plan to have in case Williams isn't cleared or someone can't go.

If I could count I'd have another marketable skill!

My counting is off because while I did name ten guys, Strickland was kind of a throwaway and I combined Williams/Jimerson/Jones into one position with them hot hand getting that particular game day nod.

19 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

If I could count I'd have another marketable skill!

My counting is off because while I did name ten guys, Strickland was kind of a throwaway and I combined Williams/Jimerson/Jones into one position with them hot hand getting that particular game day nod.

Gotcha.  If he's cleared, I see Williams as a secondary ballhandler in addition to being a shooter.  I don't think him getting on the floor is dependent on whether Jimerson is is hot or not.  Same with Jones.  If circumstances allow him to slide into the rotation, he's the backup point guard regardless of what Jimerson minutes are.

Jimerson's minutes are more affected by Hargrove than they are by anybody.  Jimerson is an elite spot-up shooter who occasionally drives to the hoop.  Hargrove is a good spot-up shooter who occasionally drives to the hoop.  If Hargrove can also add rebounding and defense to his game, Jimerson's minutes will take a hit.

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Reading this preview makes me wonder why these "national"  writers don't check fact with local media or school Sports Info people.  At least they would have been able to get the years (Fr. Soph etc) correct.  As with most non-local reviews they completely messed up the Nesbitt write up, at least wityh regard to what happened at Memphis.

4 minutes ago, bauman said:

Reading this preview makes me wonder why these "national"  writers don't check fact with local media or school Sports Info people.  At least they would have been able to get the years (Fr. Soph etc) correct.  As with most non-local reviews they completely messed up the Nesbitt write up, at least wityh regard to what happened at Memphis.

this is one time I give a pass for messing up years, it is very confusing & off the norm with CV-19.

RUBillsFan likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I think the bulk of our minutes will go to Perkins, Collins and Thatch.  Okoro and Linssen should split the 40 mpg or so required at the traditional five spot.  Nesbitt seems an easy bet to get a lot of minutes as well.  That will likely leave a lot of a particular game minutes to Williams, Jimerson and Jones depending on whos got the hot hand.  I expect Hargrove in there as well.  That's seven to eight guys, which is a Ford rotational staple.  Strickland is intriguing.  All in all, I think a very decent year is on the horizon despite no French and no Goodwin.

I like this, but I think it will go:

Top: Perkins, Collins, Thatch, Okoro, Hargrove (the lowest of the top)

Second: Gibson, Linssen, Williams

Third: Nesbitt, Traore, Jones

11 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I like this, but I think it will go:

Top: Perkins, Collins, Thatch, Okoro, Hargrove (the lowest of the top)

Second: Gibson, Linssen, Williams

Third: Nesbitt, Traore, Jones

Nesbitt is a 20-year old 6'6" 4-star recruit Memphis transfer.

5 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Truthfully, I am not on the Nesbitt band wagon. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think he will need a year to align his game to college, and then he could light it up. At the very least, I think the expectations on him need to be checked.

did u find the 4 star rating too high @ the time?