2021-2022 Season

Aquinas

40 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think Okoro is actually an ideal 4. 

I personally think it's tough to have him and Linssen out there together because we won't have much spacing. But I'm curious if Ford ends up using 2 bigs like he did with Bell/French at times or if he opts for more of a 4-out offense.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, NH said:

I personally think it's tough to have him and Linssen out there together because we won't have much spacing. But I'm curious if Ford ends up using 2 bigs like he did with Bell/French at times or if he opts for more of a 4-out offense.

Would we have enough spacing if the the two bigs are on the floor with three good perimeter shooters? Something like Jones, Jimmer or Williams and Perk? 

23 minutes ago, NH said:

Well, if both Linnsen and Okoro both have a good mid-range game, and if Okoro can also put the ball on the floor and go to the basket like French ..... spacing will not be an issue.  Linnsen has a good mid-range game for sure.  Now does that mean SLU will play them at the same time?  Probably not unless Traore surprises and can play some quality minutes.

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

Lorentsson is kind of a forgotten player on here, understandably so considering he didn’t do much of anything of note last year. If he’s able to develop into even a serviceable roll player it would be super helpful in terms of having someone to play the 4. 

hope he gets to show in early buy games, would like to see what he has

9 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I always find this discussion on labeling players with numbers as entertaining.  Coach Ford convinced me that those days of labeling players with a position number were gone on one of his radio shows several years ago. He also said players don't like the number labels.

For those that want to hang onto the old tradition, I am interested in your definitions for positions 2, 3 and 4.  Perhaps we can all agree that a "5" (or maybe that is a "4") plays with his back to the basket, and doesn't take a large number of three point shots.  But is there a height or weight requirement for your "5".  Is 6'7" 240 lbs okay?  What about 6'6" and 230 lbs?  What is your criteria that defines a '5'?

Okay, and then what is the difference between your 4 and 5?  Does your '4' play on the wing and shot three's or does he play also in the paint?  Are there height requirements and weight brackets?

Don't even try to differentiate between a '2' and a '3' is today's college ball.  Was Goodwin a '2', a '3', or even a '4'? 

Yes, a Point Guard will bring the ball up the floor and most of the time originate the offense. 

Now, look at the A10.  Who has 1'-5'?  St. Bonnie?  They play the 6'10" Osunniyi and then a bunch of guys 6'3" to 6'5", all listed as guards.  Pick one for your '4' and then tell me why.

Richmond has Golden, who starts in the paint, but has taken 176 three point shots in his career.  Does that make him a 4?  Burton is 6'7" but typically set up on the wing.  He has taken 129 three's in his two years.  Is he a '4' or a '3'. 

VCU has Stockard (listed as a Forward) and then a bunch of tall guards and forwards that play all over the court.  VCU doesn't list a center, so I guess that makes Stockard a 4?

Several posters will suggest I don't know basketball, and that is fine.  It is all personal opinion and everyone has one. 

The Bonnies is one of the rare teams on our schedule that doesn't have a 4 man.  Scoring against Ossuniyi and breaking their perimeter defenders down with the dribble are the keys against them.  When we do, we've had a lot of success.

6'7 225 lb Nathan Cayo is Richmond's four man.  We've actually defended him very well the last two years.

VCU starts 6'9 Hason Ward and Stockard in the frontcourt.  They're versatile big men so they are interchangeable.  Ward plays the 4 when they have to guard a quick 4.  Vince Williams is the 4 man when they go small.  They all scored above their average and shot a high percentage against us. 

Hopefully Okoro can help keep Ward in check.  Ace Baldwin hurt us badly with his penetration.  Maybe Rashad Williams can help us with that.

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

VCU's Watkins torn his ACL, very tough break for them.

That sucks for VCU and the conference. They've had brutal luck going back to their tourney game being cancelled.

This could mean a bigger role for Nick Kern as a freshman.

Talking about Yuri working on shot a lot during the offseason. Says Fred has been shooting well. Nesbitt is highly skilled - second best passer, very coachable. "We have so many guys who can play different positions." 1-4 is very interchangeable.

Will be coming back from a break soon. Rammer on with Frank too.

billikenbill likes this

1 hour ago, NH said:

That sucks for VCU and the conference. They've had brutal luck going back to their tourney game being cancelled.

This could mean a bigger role for Nick Kern as a freshman.

They had awful injury luck in the spring of 2020 when Marcus Evans (among others) was hobbled they pretty much fell apart.  We smoked them by 18 at Chaifetz during our run to close that season, but that was just part of their struggles.  They looked like an NCAA team or at worst a bubble team, but then lost 7 of their last 8 games.  Of course COVID cancelled the NCAA tournament anyways, but VCU's run of bad luck is on 3 season now.

50 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

interview with TF starts in segment 5

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

It was nice to hear Coach again on the radio.  But he needs to read this board to learn some things.

"Starting doesn't matter on this team.  There will be two or three guys with high minutes than 8 to 10 total getting serious minutes."

We got a bunch of guys who will be playing multiple positions.  (What?)  Outside of Yuri and Okoro, we will have interchangeable players.  Example, Nesbitt has to learn the details on everything except being in the post.  Coach doesn't worry about matching up with the opponent's lineup.  He puts his lineup together based on what he wants to do.

Hargrove is 6'3 1/4".  Hargrove and Yuri and Fred have some little NIL things going.  He expects more to come when the season starts.

He worked with Yuri on his shot this off season, as he used a windup-bringing the ball from the side to in front.  Also worked with Fred who brings the ball up behind his head.  

Coach also said that Brad Beal could be a factor in Goodwin making the Wizards.  The Wiz listen to Brad, and he is tight with Jordan.

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It was nice to hear Coach again on the radio.  But he needs to read this board to learn some things.

"Starting doesn't matter on this team.  There will be two or three guys with high minutes than 8 to 10 total getting serious minutes."

We got a bunch of guys who will be playing multiple positions.  (What?)  Outside of Yuri and Okoro, we will have interchangeable players.  Example, Nesbitt has to learn the details on everything except being in the post.  Coach doesn't worry about matching up with the opponent's lineup.  He puts his lineup together based on what he wants to do.

Hargrove is 6'3 1/4".  Hargrove and Yuri and Fred have some little NIL things going.  He expects more to come when the season starts.

He worked with Yuri on his shot this off season, as he used a windup-bringing the ball from the side to in front.  Also worked with Fred who brings the ball up behind his head.  

Coach also said that Brad Beal could be a factor in Goodwin making the Wizards.  The Wiz listen to Brad, and he is tight with Jordan.

Thanks, good report. The thrower rolls place seems like a natural for Fred to make some NIL bread.

HoosierPal likes this

Couple of things @HoosierPal

We speak in terms of 1-5 because it's how the brain works we categorize things.  Yes the traditional 1-5 may not be prevalent but coaches running a system refer to players usually as #s or some other term.  That's how they know where to be in the system.   Whatever the system is the players need to know that if they are in as the 1 or PG or ball handler whatever it's called that if they pass to the post they cut to the elbow or whatever the system calls for. 

Furthermore, the best players start as perceived by the coach for that game.  Coachspeak is a thing.   Yeah "starting is for High School".... whatever the best players start.  You ever see MJ not start?  LeBron. $%#÷  Jordan is still mad that he didn't start one year on Varsity in HS and said something about it in his HoF acceptance speech.   So who starts matters for us fans as it is an indication if who the coach thinks is best for that game and the best combination.   Now there are some 6th men that are good to come off the bench and provide a spark.  The coach says things with a team in mind to keep them engaged, giving the most effort.  So take it for what it is, coach speak.

Running 10 guys is tough to manage,  I hope we are able to do it as that most likely means we have depth.  It helps develop players and you can do it if we get garbage time vs some teams.  It may also mean we have some guys that are good match ups vs certain teams and maybe not good against others. 

We have a tough non-con and Fall is here so ready for playoff baseball and college basketball 

18 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Couple of things @HoosierPal

We speak in terms of 1-5 because it's how the brain works we categorize things.  Yes the traditional 1-5 may not be prevalent but coaches running a system refer to players usually as #s or some other term.  That's how they know where to be in the system.   Whatever the system is the players need to know that if they are in as the 1 or PG or ball handler whatever it's called that if they pass to the post they cut to the elbow or whatever the system calls for. 

Furthermore, the best players start as perceived by the coach for that game.  Coachspeak is a thing.   Yeah "starting is for High School".... whatever the best players start.  You ever see MJ not start?  LeBron. $%#÷  Jordan is still mad that he didn't start one year on Varsity in HS and said something about it in his HoF acceptance speech.   So who starts matters for us fans as it is an indication if who the coach thinks is best for that game and the best combination.   Now there are some 6th men that are good to come off the bench and provide a spark.  The coach says things with a team in mind to keep them engaged, giving the most effort.  So take it for what it is, coach speak.

Running 10 guys is tough to manage,  I hope we are able to do it as that most likely means we have depth.  It helps develop players and you can do it if we get garbage time vs some teams.  It may also mean we have some guys that are good match ups vs certain teams and maybe not good against others. 

We have a tough non-con and Fall is here so ready for playoff baseball and college basketball 

Grandy started. Jimmie Bell Started. It’s about minutes played. 

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-where have I heard this???

Coach Ford has said it every year but once we get by the buy games it rarely happens unless foul trouble strikes.  

starting means a lot to these players.   they may be adult enough to stay quiet and not complain but anyone that played high school and college sports knows starting means a lot.    i agree minutes and ending the game is probably more important, but the players want to start.   i am sure every coach uses it for motivational concerns.   "you want to start, start doing xyz better than that guy."  

2 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-where have I heard this???

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Coach Ford has said it every year but once we get by the buy games it rarely happens unless foul trouble strikes.  

Well, last year he had 10 in his regular rotation.  Nine players all averaged double figure minutes, playing in all games they were not injured. Jimmy Bell averaged 8.8 mpg, but played in 19 of the 21. 

What criteria do you use for being in the rotation and/or serious minutes?  There are only 200 minutes per game to divide up.