2021 Volleyball Thread

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yes. You don’t even use his name. That’s how uninteresting and uninspiring Kent Miller is. 

You've got me halfway hoping that the team goes on a losing streak so Miller gets canned.  I guess he's pulled the football away too many times for you to give him the benefit of the doubt.

58 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You've got me halfway hoping that the team goes on a losing streak so Miller gets canned.  I guess he's pulled the football away too many times for you to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think most people know I was a volleyball manager a year under Anne Kordes. I have a great love and respect for Anne the coach and person. That being said I harbored a bit of resentment about her leaving for Louisville until I got to see her again a few years after. My appreciation for what Anne did at SLU and what she showed is possible here has probably jaded me towards Kent in a way he could never come back from. Anne was a firecracker, she was charismatic and a people person. She can dominate a conversation in the best way possible and work a room. Kent Miller is reserved, quiet and soft spoken.  He doesn’t inspire excitement either through personality or his on court coaching. He doesn’t have that same fire.

I know a lot of alumni share some of my feelings regarding Kent. I’ll wait to be positive about where this season is heading until they play Dayton. He deserves full marks for winning at VCU. This is a team that can punch up when they run into a good team that can’t stop Maya Taylor, but they don’t have the depth to truly consistently go after good teams. I have no interest in talking about any of the other wins in the non-conference because the schedule he put together might be the easiest I’ve ever seen for a Billiken volleyball team. But I need to reiterate that over Miller’s tenure there is UD and VCU at the top of the conference a bit of a gap, SLU, a huge pile of dog poo and then the rest of the league. So color me skeptical until they visit Ohio. 

35 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think most people know I was a volleyball manager a year under Anne Kordes. I have a great love and respect for Anne the coach and person. That being said I harbored a bit of resentment about her leaving for Louisville until I got to see her again a few years after. My appreciation for what Anne did at SLU and what she showed is possible here has probably jaded me towards Kent in a way he could never come back from. Anne was a firecracker, she was charismatic and a people person. She can dominate a conversation in the best way possible and work a room. Kent Miller is reserved, quiet and soft spoken.  He doesn’t inspire excitement either through personality or his on court coaching. He doesn’t have that same fire.

I know a lot of alumni share some of my feelings regarding Kent. I’ll wait to be positive about where this season is heading until they play Dayton. He deserves full marks for winning at VCU. This is a team that can punch up when they run into a good team that can’t stop Maya Taylor, but they don’t have the depth to truly consistently go after good teams. I have no interest in talking about any of the other wins in the non-conference because the schedule he put together might be the easiest I’ve ever seen for a Billiken volleyball team. But I need to reiterate that over Miller’s tenure there is UD and VCU at the top of the conference a bit of a gap, SLU, a huge pile of dog poo and then the rest of the league. So color me skeptical until they visit Ohio. 

I figured there was a backstory behind your feelings for Miller.  Thanks for sharing.  The men's basketball program has won more than volleyball but we face a similar hurdle when it comes to ascending to the top of the conference.  Vanilla guys like Miller have to win big to win friends and influence people.  It is what it is.

My problem with Miller was his recruiting. He refused to recruit local. Kordes mopped up locally and the success she had was a direct result of it. It would be the equivalent of Ford doing the same. The talent level in the sports are similar. But that changed 2 years ago when they grabbed 3 of the top playes form STL. They are much better as a result and will continue to rise if he follows down this path.

• 1 month later...

We have great coaches in our four premier programs (men's and women's basketball and men's and women's soccer).  Volleyball might be next up in priority, although perhaps baseball and softball could make an argument.  With the success that we've had with May's other coaching hires, perhaps its time to try to score big again with a new hire.

7 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

We have great coaches in our four premier programs (men's and women's basketball and men's and women's soccer).  Volleyball might be next up in priority, although perhaps baseball and softball could make an argument.  With the success that we've had with May's other coaching hires, perhaps its time to try to score big again with a new hire.

Darin Hendrickson (baseball) is also a good/great coach.  2021 was a down year, but he's had the SLU baseball team playing at the highest level they've ever played & he's the winningest HC in school history.  He just needs to get back to the success he had a few years back.

Agreed that volleyball needs an upgrade as the highest profile sport at SLU that is underachieving.