O.T. Big 12

BLIKNS

So any guesses on what the Big 12 will do??? 

I think the 8 will stay, and will add 4 , Cincinnati, Houston, BYU and UCF( Charge On Knights!)

So do they add 3 , go to 11, and have 20 conference game basketball schedule

Add 6 get to 14 , or add 8 get to 16???

Haven't seen as much buzz about the AAC trying to poach the Big 12... 

Thoughts??

1 hour ago, BLIKNS said:

So any guesses on what the Big 12 will do??? 

I think the 8 will stay, and will add 4 , Cincinnati, Houston, BYU and UCF( Charge On Knights!)

So do they add 3 , go to 11, and have 20 conference game basketball schedule

Add 6 get to 14 , or add 8 get to 16???

Haven't seen as much buzz about the AAC trying to poach the Big 12... 

Thoughts??

Football is driving this. Numbers for hoops is not part of the equation. Add BYU and UCF and hope the TV gods don’t short sheet them too bad. 

There's a bunch of speculation,  BYU is getting the most buzz right now.  People running the TV #s claim that none of the schools mentioned besides BYU really move the needle.   

I would think Cincy, Memphis, UCF, BYU maybe UAB would form an ok conference. 

But I hope B12 implodes so Texas doesn't have to pay and gets to SEC sooner.

20 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Wow, I see a lot of articles about the Big 12 becoming the aggressor and raiding the AAC.  I didn't see the dismantling of the AAC coming.  If Memphis doesn't get picked by the Big 12, their conference strength of schedule would take a serious hit.  

That could make them ripe for admission to the A-10

On 9/1/2021 at 1:14 PM, cgeldmacher said:

That could make them ripe for admission to the A-10

Reports on several major sports networks indicate the Big 12 is seriously looking at BYU, Cincy, Houston and UCF as probable expansion probabilities.  According to the Athletic, this could happen as soon as September. One factor favoring these four in Big 12 expansion, I read, is they all have large, passionate alumni bases that could be attractive to media partners.

From a football prospective, this destroys the AAC.  Memphis would be out on an island and probably could only look west (Mountain West?) for a new landing spot for football.  I would doubt the Tigers would go independent in football.  Teams such as SMU, Tulane, USF, Tulsa and Temple would pretty much be screwed.  Or would the Mountain West pickup a second team to keep even numbers in their divisions?  Navy would survive, perhaps back in the Patriot?  Would Wichita State come calling to the A10? 

Wichita State and ask Loyola to join also... go to 16 ... 

WEST- Dayton Loyola, SLU and Wichita State 

Capitol-Mason, GW, Richmond and VCU

East- LaSalle,, Rhode Island, St. Joseph 's, and UMASS

North-Davidson, Duquesne, Fordham, St. Bonaventure 

Something like this,  18 game conference schedule or add 2 to make 20

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Reports on several major sports networks indicate the Big 12 is seriously looking at BYU, Cincy, Houston and UCF as probable expansion probabilities.  According to the Athletic, this could happen as soon as September. One factor favoring these four in Big 12 expansion, I read, is they all have large, passionate alumni bases that could be attractive to media partners.

From a football prospective, this destroys the AAC.  Memphis would be out on an island and probably could only look west (Mountain West?) for a new landing spot for football.  I would doubt the Tigers would go independent in football.  Teams such as SMU, Tulane, USF, Tulsa and Temple would pretty much be screwed.  Or would the Mountain West pickup a second team to keep even numbers in their divisions?  Navy would survive, perhaps back in the Patriot?  Would Wichita State come calling to the A10? 

I could see the MWC looking to add 3 teams to get to 14 for football.  The best case scenario for us would be to see two or all three out Temple, USF and Memphis joining as football only members.

Then you have programs like Memphis, Temple, USF and Wichita St needing a place to park the rest of or their whole athletic department.  Those programs, select A10 programs, Loyola and maybe even Belmont could form a nice little conference.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

McClade has been too busy trying to figure out how to get ODU in the conference for years now to have any interest in adding programs like Memphis, Wichita and Loyola.

That's about par for her small thinking

brianstl likes this

16 hours ago, brianstl said:

I could see the MWC looking to add 3 teams to get to 14 for football.  The best case scenario for us would be to see two or all three out Temple, USF and Memphis joining as football only members.

Then you have programs like Memphis, Temple, USF and Wichita St needing a place to park the rest of or their whole athletic department.  Those programs, select A10 programs, Loyola and maybe even Belmont could form a nice little conference.

Doesn't the MWC have 12 already, making an even number of additions most practical.  It would be interesting though to have a conference span both coasts, from Philly to Hawaii.  Travel would be brutal. 

11 hours ago, BLIKNS said:

The AAC will go to C-USA , UAB, FAU, Marshall , Southern Miss and or  FIU ?????

I just saw where FIU is the 5th largest university in the US.  Being located in Miami also helps them with possible 'eyeballs for media consideration.'  So they could make sense for the AAC. 

There are 7 FBS Football Independents.  Take Notre Dame and BYU off the list, and the other five are Army, Liberty, UMass, New Mexico State and UConn. If the AAC is willing to have football only members, these would be candidates.  UMass might move their entire athletic program over, except for hockey.  Having both Army and Navy should be attractive to the AAC.

The dominos are just starting to fall. I'm interested in seeing what Memphis does.  Kansas and Memphis' basketball programs are kind of like innocent bystanders waiting by the curb to see what bus comes along.

Could see AAC make a play for UMASS, get a home for their football team..

I think Liberty as well

i am not a big umass fan.   they really dont fit the footprint i envision for the conference of schools in metropolitan areas (they 100 miles from boston), private (largest school in the university of mass public system) and predominately basketball as their lead sport (guess that fits.  1 out of 3 ugh). 

UMass is an original member though of the A10 and should never be forced out because of such.     

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am not a big umass fan.   they really dont fit the footprint i envision for the conference of schools in metropolitan areas (they 100 miles from boston), private (largest school in the university of mass public system) and predominately basketball as their lead sport (guess that fits.  1 out of 3 ugh). 

UMass is an original member though of the A10 and should never be forced out because of such.     

Hockey is probably their major sport, not basketball.

1 hour ago, CenHudDude said:

Hockey is probably their major sport, not basketball.

hockey contributes more PROFIT than the basketball team?  the facility costs alone probably make that untrue.  well unless boosters are donating only to the hockey team then maybe so.  

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

hockey contributes more PROFIT than the basketball team?  the facility costs alone probably make that untrue.  well unless boosters are donating only to the hockey team then maybe so.  

In terms of base salary, UMass' hockey coach Greg Carvel has the highest annual base at $500K.  Football coach Walt Bell was paid $403,693 last year, though he made $627,837 in total pay, while men’s basketball coach Matt McCall made a $250,000 base salary ($827,000 total).

Carvel has about another $100K available in bonuses for GPA and for the on-ice success of the hockey program.  Another NCAA crown earns him $50K plus $25K for getting into the Frozen Four.  He gets $10K for simply making the NCAA tourney and another $5K for each game they win in the tourney.