Volleyball question for 05

willie

11 hours ago, willie said:

Serious question. You were try to get the volleyball coach replaced. This year’s team appears to be pretty good. Same coach? If so what’s the difference? 

You’re posting this in reaction to the first game of the season. I’m guessing you didn’t see the Creighton result? This team is going to live and die with Maya Taylor. Did they beat Mizzou and was I pumped? Hell yeah. Did they turn around and get worked by Creighton, you bet they did. It wasn’t even competitive. Why? Because Maya Taylor is the only offense they have. 
Taylor vs Mizzou: 21 Kills on 43 Attempts Hit% .302

Taylor vs Creighton: 12 Kills on 37 attempts Hit% .135

If teams stop Taylor, SLU is screwed.

This team, as almost every Kent Miller team has, will cruise to a 3rd place finish because the conference is terrible. VCU and Dayton will fight for 1st. SLU is on an island fairly far behind those two in talent. 5 layers of sh!t and then every other team in the league. Miller has subscribed to “they can’t fire me if I go 19-10 and finish 3rd every year method of job retention. He’s kind of like a sh!tty Brad Soderberg. His teams aren’t all that good but every once in awhile they’ll sneak up on someone. And by sneak up I mean Maya will carry them. The difference is at least Soderberg’s teams were playing in a tough league.

EDIT: Additionally,

If you recall, last season they beat Dayton 3-1 in dominant fashion in their first meeting then turned around and got outclassed 3-0 in the second. There is nothing different about this team. They are once again bad with one great player. 

Pistol likes this

I know very little about WBB and less about volleyball, but an important distinction to make in my mind between Lisa Stone’s WBB struggling to dominate a relatively weak A10 and Kent Miller’s volleyball team doing the same is program history.  WBB was never close to good before Stone arrived.  Volleyball was good under Kordes and has taken a step back.  Soderberg is a good comparison for Miller because the MBB program took a step back from Spoon & Romar under Sodie.  Grawer minus the ending is a good comparison for Stone.

6 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I know very little about WBB and less about volleyball, but an important distinction to make in my mind between Lisa Stone’s WBB struggling to dominate a relatively weak A10 and Kent Miller’s volleyball team doing the same is program history.  WBB was never close to good before Stone arrived.  Volleyball was good under Kordes and has taken a step back.  Soderberg is a good comparison for Miller because the MBB program took a step back from Spoon & Romar under Sodie.  Grawer minus the ending is a good comparison for Stone.

Billikens drop there 3rd match to UMKC. Who could have seen this coming? Certainly not me!