Welcome Lassina Traore!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Interesting autocorrect in my previous post.

Anyway, can’t speak as to how common Lassina is for a first name, but from following soccer in Europe, Traore seems to be a pretty common last name.

SLU has now been somehow connected to 3 different basketball players with the last name Traore in the last year or so.

1. Myriama Smith Traore is a starting big for the women's team.  Her father is from Burkina Faso which is just north of the Ivory Coast.  https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slus-smith-traore-joins-father-in-aid-of-burkina-faso/article_9063ed71-706a-5cfa-9a65-8fd95d6ce5de.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_STL_SportsNews
  2. Drissa Traore is 2021 recruit who had a SLU offer, but wound up at St. Johns.
  3. Now we have signed Lassina Traore

I assume Traore in / around the Ivory Coast is like Smith in the United States. 

Not a response to you, but generally assuming a name is weird / uncommon because it is not a common American name is kind of narrow minded.

Wecome Lassina Traore!

Sure, he's pretty raw.  But I like his size; I like that he appears to be athletically an upgrade from Bell.  Do not expect he will play much, but isn't that what Ford wanted?  A raw, athletic big with good upside that will to help in practice, improve, be in the program, and develop.  If Lassina is athletically an upgrade from Bell, and is more mentally tenacious ...... then this is a terrific signing.

52 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

John Grisham’s latest novel is about a college basketball player from Africa who gets a scholarship at a low D1 college & leads them to the NCAA finals - good read

Just finished that a few weeks ago. Agree, good read.

1 hour ago, Major Majerus said:

John Grisham’s latest novel is about a college basketball player from Africa who gets a scholarship at a low D1 college & leads them to the NCAA finals - good read

Haven’t read the book but the movie was good. 😉 

Air_up_there.jpg

From a Stu Durando tweet:

“New SLU signee Lassina Traore averaged 10 points, 13 rebounds and 2 blocked shots in his season at Victory Rock Prep. Coach Loren Jackson said “he has a high motor, rebounds and can defend multiple positions. He’s a very good athlete.”

Stu also says that the staff has “developed a relationship with Coach Jackson” based on him having coached Markhi, and also Ford Stuen when he was at IMG Academy.

Welcome Lassina!!

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Wecome Lassina Traore!

Sure, he's pretty raw.  But I like his size; I like that he appears to be athletically an upgrade from Bell.  Do not expect he will play much, but isn't that what Ford wanted?  A raw, athletic big with good upside that will to help in practice, improve, be in the program, and develop.  If Lassina is athletically an upgrade from Bell, and is more mentally tenacious ...... then this is a terrific signing.

I like what I saw in the instagram video. Nice shooting form, soft touch, good hands, was handling it well with some good spin moves. If I had to guess, I’d say he can probably dunk over a trash can. 😉

This looks like a good commitment from someone who’s going to blow up this year.

23 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

I like what I saw in the instagram video. Nice shooting form, soft touch, good hands, was handling it well with some good spin moves. If I had to guess, I’d say he can probably dunk over a trash can. 😉

This looks like a good commitment from someone who’s going to blow up this year.

I’ll believe it when I see it. 

dlarry likes this

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPwPGcRpf4f/?utm_medium=copy_link

you can check out some highlights from a practice, he’s got a mid range game 

Holy crap. This kid is good. Forget the diarra comparisons. This is going to be a really good player for this team. He doesn’t even look rough. Probably too small to be able to bang this year in the A10, but next year, at 225, he is going to be a player. What a pickup.

17 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Holy crap. This kid is good. Forget the diarra comparisons. This is going to be a really good player for this team. He doesn’t even look rough. Probably too small to be able to bang this year in the A10, but next year, at 225, he is going to be a player. What a pickup.

Wow! I was expecting a tall, awkward kid who could dunk and block shots and that’s about it. This kid can play. He may be raw and may need to put on some weight, but wow, I was not expecting what I saw in that video.

bauman likes this

5 hours ago, Major Majerus said:

No crooked lawyers and teams of assassins pursuing the good guys? Is this really Grisham? Maybe he did he finally find a new plot for his novels with the next one being about the Rose Bowl, etc...? So far, as far as I am concerned, he has written only one other original and very good plot, the one in his first novel, "A time to Kill" (or something like it). The funny thing is that he could not find anyone to publish this one until he gained success with his other (standard crooked lawyer) plot.

Since he has a mid range jumper he should be able to hit free throws so he has to going for him.

Might be able to close out games if the other bigs foul out.

i must admit i was pleasantly surprised by the video.    granted he is smaller than i expected, but for A10 power forward purposes he is big enough.  size wise looks more like linssen that bell, okoro or french.  but the smoothness and ability around the lane was impressive.  sure we all need to be somewhat skeptical of highlight video's, but turnarounds and inside moves for dunks are not fakes.   i'm very content as a replacement for a 3rd on the depth chart player.   we'll have to see if he turns into an all american, but good chance this is a more than upgrade over bell.  

bauman likes this