SLU Athletes NIL thread

5 hours ago, Taj79 said:

On the contrary, 21 replies out of 115 posts is only 18%; far short of 1/4.  .  To me, that shows my interest.  Not concern, interest.  Andmy replies will continue until the BLUF is achieved.

BLUF.  My concern is for the bottom line.  I don't really care how it all works because that will be devil in the details and as I said, my head was spinning on one info piece alone.  When he collects cash, let me know.  I will continue to reply here because I am curious.  

Whoa!  JMM28 provides some really interesting information.  Twenty thousand followers is nothing to sneeze at.  While I find that hard to believe without some sort of proof, I have no reason to doubt it.  I am sure Instagram has a ticker that counts up the "likes" and the "followers" and however else they keep score.  

How many followers does the rest of the individual roster have?  How many followers does Midtown Madness influence?  Starting to at least grasp the concept of social influencer.    

Unless I’m missing something, TJ is the next closest with 9,400 followers.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, JMM28 said:

He has 20,000 instagram followers so I guess billikens.com has really blown up lately. 

So did he get his chicken deal because he is a college basketball player or because he has 20,000 Instagram followers. 

Would the random college sophomore with 20,000 followers be able to pull a deal like this?

The NIL is the death of amateur sports , not that it has been truly amateur for years. Schools,Boosters,Business People who use the NIL best will simply buy the best players. Heard Demetrius Johnson on with Frank yesterday and he was basically calling on Missouri alumni and business people to band together to send the best local football players to Mo. It’s a Wild West and I fear we could lose out. 

slufanskip and cgeldmacher like this

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone earlier asked if a sponsor could offer an NIL before a player enters the transfer portal.  This article almost answers that question, but it is for a player who already entered the portal.  The bidding started at $1,000,000.  No answer if a sponsor could 'legally' approach a player before entering the transfer.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/06/charlie-batch-caleb-williams-transfer-eastern-michigan-nil-deal

14 hours ago, Taj79 said:

The deal reported on here sounds completely illegal.  This is not the intent of the ruling.

Intent doesn't matter only the letter of the law.   There's no law.  Athletes now can make money off their NIL just like anyone else in the US.

I hope Caleb Williams goes to EMU.

1 time transfer is probably here to stay, NIL cat is out of the bag.  This is the new world we live in.   I'm hoping SLU supporters get something going.   If we can get in front of other like programs on NIL deals then we can get some momentum going. 

Our likely recruits are big time local recruits that go to High Major programs and maybe don't get the minutes they're expecting.  

Who are local businesses that support the program that a college athlete could represent?  Lou Fusz, Pasta House who else?

Could also crowd source as I brought up before.  Texas fans set up a deal with a 501C "Horns with Heart" "Pancake Factory" $50k/year to offensive line men and all they do is make appearances for charitable events.  Genius as donations to the 501c are tax deductible.   What's up Cardinal Glennon supporters/Billikens fans?  Athletic department donations are no longer tax deductible but this could be.

I wish I had the time to organize this for SLU a deep tourney run is something we all need. 

TaLBErt likes this

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

So how does he make money from this?  Can't help but see no SLU affiliation in the pic.

It’s a standard endorsement deal. How does Tatum make money from his IMO’s spokesman position? Same answer as this. 

@littlebill:  not much if only salad dressing.  I can't see him polishing off $200,000 worth of salad dressing, no matter how large a family he is feeding.  And is salad dressing the new bitcoin?

@f05:  for what?  Posting a picture on Instagram?  What does one picture get you?  Like those people in Times Square and in costume?  Maybe $20 per photo.  Or is it $200,000 for this photo?  

@johnbj14:  what does a "standard endorsement deal" go for?  Does Tatum go for the same price as Yuri Unknown?  I don't 'follow' Tatum so does he just do Instagram posts?  And since I'm not in St. Louis, I don't know if Tatum is on the tube hawking Imo's.  Is he?  Is Yuri?  Standard is standard right?  Tatum and Collins DO bring the same advertising clout, right?

Tons of cynicism in all the above but the question is still a legitimate one:  does he make money on this?  Last time I asked, some smart ass said Strickland was getting all the chicken he could eat at Cane's.  All the chicken and or salad dressing doesn't amount to much in terms of dollars for these poor kids.  And I'm not some great entrepreneur who thinks he knows how all this hashtag crap and followers and the like works.  So I'm asking.  And I know you don't know what this deal is or that deal --- but doesn't someone know how a standard deal might work.  What about the Fred/Salsa deal?  In cokmparison, how much does a podcast pocket for having its own salsa deal ... for comparison's sake?  

I've said in the past I'm all for NIL deals but what is being done now is not what the spirit of the law entails.  And I know there is no law because the NCAA abdicated all responsibility here and is only now trying to put the genie back in the bottle.  And I still contend that SLU NIL deals will pale in comparison to under the table money being paid out by these booster clubs.  It's one thing to pocket some chump change on NIL deals as opposed to making al living off your college basketball playing days.  

8 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@littlebill:  not much if only salad dressing.  I can't see him polishing off $200,000 worth of salad dressing, no matter how large a family he is feeding.  And is salad dressing the new bitcoin?

@f05:  for what?  Posting a picture on Instagram?  What does one picture get you?  Like those people in Times Square and in costume?  Maybe $20 per photo.  Or is it $200,000 for this photo?  

@johnbj14:  what does a "standard endorsement deal" go for?  Does Tatum go for the same price as Yuri Unknown?  I don't 'follow' Tatum so does he just do Instagram posts?  And since I'm not in St. Louis, I don't know if Tatum is on the tube hawking Imo's.  Is he?  Is Yuri?  Standard is standard right?  Tatum and Collins DO bring the same advertising clout, right?

Tons of cynicism in all the above but the question is still a legitimate one:  does he make money on this?  Last time I asked, some smart ass said Strickland was getting all the chicken he could eat at Cane's.  All the chicken and or salad dressing doesn't amount to much in terms of dollars for these poor kids.  And I'm not some great entrepreneur who thinks he knows how all this hashtag crap and followers and the like works.  So I'm asking.  And I know you don't know what this deal is or that deal --- but doesn't someone know how a standard deal might work.  What about the Fred/Salsa deal?  In cokmparison, how much does a podcast pocket for having its own salsa deal ... for comparison's sake?  

I've said in the past I'm all for NIL deals but what is being done now is not what the spirit of the law entails.  And I know there is no law because the NCAA abdicated all responsibility here and is only now trying to put the genie back in the bottle.  And I still contend that SLU NIL deals will pale in comparison to under the table money being paid out by these booster clubs.  It's one thing to pocket some chump change on NIL deals as opposed to making al living off your college basketball playing days.  

Well considering 900 people have already liked it and thousands have seen it, basically an ad with a very predictable amount of views due to the amount of followers Yuri has. Pasta House pays him because of his large following. 

13 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Well considering 900 people have already liked it and thousands have seen it, basically an ad with a very predictable amount of views due to the amount of followers Yuri has. Pasta House pays him because of his large following. 

Exactly.  Going rate is @ $10 - $500 per 1,000 followers…depends on niche and level of engagement.

48 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Pot calling the kettle black. 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I think what the SLU kids are doing is the spirit of the law. I agree what is not is some Texas billionaire paying all his teams linemen 100k. 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

The structure of social media advertising is standard, not compensation. Companies go to athletes, like Yuri, and see his 8000 followers on Instagram. They see 8000 potential customers they can reach with an ad. As @Gremio14said, the company then has a going rate for a post, like $50 dollars per 1000 followers. Yuri gets paid that rate x his number of followers, makes a post, and hopefully all parties are happy. Someone like Tatum would make substantially more as he has more followers. 

Thank you to all for trying to explain it to me.  I now understand it better. Big applause to john and gremio.

And then there is f05 ---- despite pointing out that I used the cynicism in responding to all, he points out some inane one-liner because that is all his limited attention span will allow for.  Still amazing how reading comprehension escapes so many.  

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Thank you to all for trying to explain it to me.  I now understand it better. Big applause to john and gremio.

And then there is f05 ---- despite pointing out that I used the cynicism in responding to all, he points out some inane one-liner because that is all his limited attention span will allow for.  Still amazing how reading comprehension escapes so many.  

Other posters have explained this to you before. It is clear you aren’t arguing in good faith.

rgbilliken, slufan13 and TaLBErt like this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

You’re literally asking the equivalent of “how did Billy mays make money”. Everyone is tired of your inability to acknowledge the feasibility of social media influencing. We’ve been trying to explain to you since the beginning of NIL