SLU Athletes NIL thread

13 hours ago, Taj79 said:

If anybody Has a "deal" have some courtesy to explain just what it is.  Fred and Yuri and Hargrove selling their own t-shirts and jackets is one thing.  But if there is an actual "deal," I'd like to know what it is and how we all go out there and support it.  Strickland.  Jimerson (if the Barstool Sports deal announced earlier was real).  

A google search for Raising Cane show them to be a chicken place.  Is this the Raising Cane of which you speak?  I don't think we have any here in the great Grand Duchey of PA but I saw something where one was coming maybe to Pittsburg.

What's with the tone here? How am I supposed to know what the NIL deal entails? I'm not his manager. Here's the post from his instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXC300hsXk7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There never is tone in a two-dimensional image.  THIS WOULD BE TONE!!!!!  You posted information, as in Strickland has an NIL "deal."  I asked what his "deal" is.  I have a hard time seeing how his eating at a place is an NIL deal.  But I am open to your explanation.  

But that's okay.  You admitted you don't know and are therefore just spreading misinformation, disinformation or incomplete information.  Maybe starting GDT threads is your strong suite.  Now that might be tone.

13 hours ago, Taj79 said:

If anybody Has a "deal" have some courtesy to explain just what it is.  Fred and Yuri and Hargrove selling their own t-shirts and jackets is one thing.  But if there is an actual "deal," I'd like to know what it is and how we all go out there and support it.  Strickland.  Jimerson (if the Barstool Sports deal announced earlier was real).  

A google search for Raising Cane show them to be a chicken place.  Is this the Raising Cane of which you speak?  I don't think we have any here in the great Grand Duchey of PA but I saw something where one was coming maybe to Pittsburg.

Raising Cane is all over. It's is no KFC, Bojangles or Popeyes but they are in most major markets. Also, I think better chicken.

Now is corporate Raising Cane providing the NIL or is a individual or a group Raising Cane franchises providing the NIL? It could be franchises that his dad has invested in.

25 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

There never is tone in a two-dimensional image.  THIS WOULD BE TONE!!!!!  You posted information, as in Strickland has an NIL "deal."  I asked what his "deal" is.  I have a hard time seeing how his eating at a place is an NIL deal.  But I am open to your explanation.  

But that's okay.  You admitted you don't know and are therefore just spreading misinformation, disinformation or incomplete information.  Maybe starting GDT threads is your strong suite.  Now that might be tone.

Clearly that Instagram post is an ad. I don’t know what to tell you if you can’t read into that. 

That's your interpretation.  And it may be spot on.  My question is what pay did he receive for it?  I admit I am not an Instagram user or aficionado.  If I go to Top Golf (a discussion in another thread) and I note that I like it or follow it, I don't get a stipend.  Do you?  Maybe kids that post such on Instagram do.  I just don't know.  But since NIL is such a new and big proposition to get kids money, I'm just asking.  I see where you don't know, you are not his agent.  Fair enough.  Maybe someone else on here can answer the question.  But let's remember .... you said he had an NIL deal.  Nobody short of us MBMs know who Markhi Strickland is.  

You are the podcast guru.  I was thinking you had more connections and knew more.  

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Wow. I didn’t think I would ever sympathize for 05 but you are harsh.  

Ironbills likes this

33 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

That's your interpretation.  And it may be spot on.  My question is what pay did he receive for it?  I admit I am not an Instagram user or aficionado.  If I go to Top Golf (a discussion in another thread) and I note that I like it or follow it, I don't get a stipend.  Do you?  Maybe kids that post such on Instagram do.  I just don't know.  But since NIL is such a new and big proposition to get kids money, I'm just asking.  I see where you don't know, you are not his agent.  Fair enough.  Maybe someone else on here can answer the question.  But let's remember .... you said he had an NIL deal.  Nobody short of us MBMs know who Markhi Strickland is.  

You are the podcast guru.  I was thinking you had more connections and knew more.  

I’ll be civil enough for both of us since you don’t have it in you this morning. I don’t have to have inside information to know that an ad tagged #canesambassador is an ad. Just be of moderate intelligence. I’ve also worked in sponsorship sales. You’re stuck on this mindset that the only way to be compensated for sponsorship or NIL is to be paid monetarily. Trade sponsorships are much more prevalent among influencers. Is Markhi being paid? Maybe. But it’s more likely that he receives $X in gift cards per month in exchange for X number of social media posts. Another example: Manscaped sent me their product in exchange for X number ad reads. 

4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

It literally says he's an ambassador for the company in the post. 

Sorry willie.  My typed words were direct and to the point.  Nothing was 'harsh;' harsh is in the eye of the beholder --- as now defined by 05, you, and anyone else who wants to go that route.  And contrary to zak's interpretation, there was nothing uncivil about my comeback.

Let's go back to the start of this:  zak says Markhi has a NIL deal with Raising Cane.  A one line, one sentence post.  I asked for further clarification.  I didn't see the Instagram post and I don't Instagram.  hmart23 says the post says he's an ambassador.  Again, I don't Instagram and I don't know what a Raising Cane ambassador is or does.  If it were me, I would've linked to the Instagram post from Markhi in the beginning and said "hey, he's an ambassador.  I wonder if this is an NIL deal."  To be clear:   zak said he had an NIL deal.  Then zak didn't know.  So while the original post may not have been a blatant lie (easy trigger I'm not calling you a liar) it was misinformed.  Or incomplete.  I'd use the same line of questioning to counter his civility and moderate intelligence claims but why waste time.

Now let's come back to the overall concept of NIL -- Name, Image and Likeness.  I thought this whole concept was done so kids could make a little cash off their name, image and likeness to augment their free tuitions, free training tables, free room and so on .... items that were the bare essence of college scholarships to date with all other benefits being impermissible.  Using another chicken outlet as a counter example, my wife got free coupons to Chick-fil-A just for being a public school teacher.  I guess a few free sandwiches from a chicken finger outlet is a minor NIL relief in the long run.  I'm just trying to figure it out.  

Whether or not NIL will work is of no real concern to me.  I don't think its a dooming factor because I don't think a lot of average kids will make any more than chump change off it.  Unless free chicken platters are over and above chump change.  What I want to know is how is it being monitored nationally, and what my favorite team is doing on their particular NIL front.  A car dealer giving two Porsches to an 18 year-old freshman should be illegal.  I wonder if the QB kid transferring out of Ohio State got any of his $5 million and if he did, is he paying it back?  

17 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Sorry willie.  My typed words were direct and to the point.  Nothing was 'harsh;' harsh is in the eye of the beholder --- as now defined by 05, you, and anyone else who wants to go that route.  And contrary to zak's interpretation, there was nothing uncivil about my comeback.

Let's go back to the start of this:  zak says Markhi has a NIL deal with Raising Cane.  A one line, one sentence post.  I asked for further clarification.  I didn't see the Instagram post and I don't Instagram.  hmart23 says the post says he's an ambassador.  Again, I don't Instagram and I don't know what a Raising Cane ambassador is or does.  If it were me, I would've linked to the Instagram post from Markhi in the beginning and said "hey, he's an ambassador.  I wonder if this is an NIL deal."  To be clear:   zak said he had an NIL deal.  Then zak didn't know.  So while the original post may not have been a blatant lie (easy trigger I'm not calling you a liar) it was misinformed.  Or incomplete.  I'd use the same line of questioning to counter his civility and moderate intelligence claims but why waste time.

Now let's come back to the overall concept of NIL -- Name, Image and Likeness.  I thought this whole concept was done so kids could make a little cash off their name, image and likeness to augment their free tuitions, free training tables, free room and so on .... items that were the bare essence of college scholarships to date with all other benefits being impermissible.  Using another chicken outlet as a counter example, my wife got free coupons to Chick-fil-A just for being a public school teacher.  I guess a few free sandwiches from a chicken finger outlet is a minor NIL relief in the long run.  I'm just trying to figure it out.  

Whether or not NIL will work is of no real concern to me.  I don't think its a dooming factor because I don't think a lot of average kids will make any more than chump change off it.  Unless free chicken platters are over and above chump change.  What I want to know is how is it being monitored nationally, and what my favorite team is doing on their particular NIL front.  A car dealer giving two Porsches to an 18 year-old freshman should be illegal.  I wonder if the QB kid transferring out of Ohio State got any of his $5 million and if he did, is he paying it back?  

The hashtag ambassador indicates he's being paid. Usually a brand will make whatever "influencer" they're paying put a specific hashtag on their post to get around the FTC rule that requires that sponsored content be disclosed online. It is a reasonable assumption on 05's part that this was a NIL deal. But also a reasonable assumption that he wouldn't have any inside knowledge on the deal itself. In general, I think people usually get paid a couple hundred to a couple thousand bucks for a post depending on how many followers they have.

Okay.  Sounds like a lot of bogus accounting or maybe not bogus but still a lot of accounting.  I just read something about the FTC requiring items to say "XYZ_ambassador" and not just "ambassador" because the second selection is vague.  After a graph or two, my head hurt.  So I don't care once again.

The key to me is BLUF ---- bottom line up front.  To me, and this won't go over well, if you ain't getting cash, you ain't getting paid.  And my interest is purely the bottom (cash) line in all this for my Billikens.  I see where Stu announced Hargrove got his third check for Hargrove Airlines.  Good for him.  I know no one will have the dollar figures but I've got to believe there will be an NCAA accounting measure on all this before it's all said and done.  TJ is getting the cash, Markhi is getting the bird (chicken).  To each his own.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Okay.  Sounds like a lot of bogus accounting or maybe not bogus but still a lot of accounting.  I just read something about the FTC requiring items to say "XYZ_ambassador" and not just "ambassador" because the second selection is vague.  After a graph or two, my head hurt.  So I don't care once again.

The key to me is BLUF ---- bottom line up front.  To me, and this won't go over well, if you ain't getting cash, you ain't getting paid.  And my interest is purely the bottom (cash) line in all this for my Billikens.  I see where Stu announced Hargrove got his third check for Hargrove Airlines.  Good for him.  I know no one will have the dollar figures but I've got to believe there will be an NCAA accounting measure on all this before it's all said and done.  TJ is getting the cash, Markhi is getting the bird (chicken).  To each his own.

To clarify, the hashtag was #CaniacAmbassador, which is in line with your first example, suggesting it's likely a paid post. Typically you are not required to post just for free products or food. 

I think NCAA is going to stay away from NIL.  NCAA is slowly dying as they've abdicated responsibility and had their peepee slapped in federal court.  Some states have their own NIL laws.

Check this deal out...

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-AM-WR-Demond-Demas-announces-NIL-deal-with-Durex-USA-177074863/

I heard Astroglide approached some Billikens for a deal but they said, "nah we like to go raw." 

On the contrary, 21 replies out of 115 posts is only 18%; far short of 1/4.  .  To me, that shows my interest.  Not concern, interest.  Andmy replies will continue until the BLUF is achieved.

BLUF.  My concern is for the bottom line.  I don't really care how it all works because that will be devil in the details and as I said, my head was spinning on one info piece alone.  When he collects cash, let me know.  I will continue to reply here because I am curious.  

Whoa!  JMM28 provides some really interesting information.  Twenty thousand followers is nothing to sneeze at.  While I find that hard to believe without some sort of proof, I have no reason to doubt it.  I am sure Instagram has a ticker that counts up the "likes" and the "followers" and however else they keep score.  

How many followers does the rest of the individual roster have?  How many followers does Midtown Madness influence?  Starting to at least grasp the concept of social influencer.    

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

On the contrary, 21 replies out of 115 posts is only 18%; far short of 1/4.  .  To me, that shows my interest.  Not concern, interest.  Andmy replies will continue until the BLUF is achieved.

BLUF.  My concern is for the bottom line.  I don't really care how it all works because that will be devil in the details and as I said, my head was spinning on one info piece alone.  When he collects cash, let me know.  I will continue to reply here because I am curious.  

Whoa!  JMM28 provides some really interesting information.  Twenty thousand followers is nothing to sneeze at.  While I find that hard to believe without some sort of proof, I have no reason to doubt it.  I am sure Instagram has a ticker that counts up the "likes" and the "followers" and however else they keep score.  

How many followers does the rest of the individual roster have?  How many followers does Midtown Madness influence?  Starting to at least grasp the concept of social influencer.    

WHAT.EVER.

I feel obligated to answer all "fan mail" so my replies will continue. 

In this episode, I thank Abomb for his response and example.  There's a pun in here for a condom deal and certain student athletes but that would likely be insensitive.  (Oh look, blue font.  The guy can learn!)

What I do find interesting, and unfulfilling, is that while these "deals" are announced and being made, there is no substance or details to them.  I'd be really curious to see what Desmond Demas' payout is here and how it is achieved.  Just like what TyTy Washington has to do to get his two Porsches.

59 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I feel obligated to answer all "fan mail" so my replies will continue. 

In this episode, I thank Abomb for his response and example.  There's a pun in here for a condom deal and certain student athletes but that would likely be insensitive.  (Oh look, blue font.  The guy can learn!)

What I do find interesting, and unfulfilling, is that while these "deals" are announced and being made, there is no substance or details to them.  I'd be really curious to see what Desmond Demas' payout is here and how it is achieved.  Just like what TyTy Washington has to do to get his two Porsches.

It's a private contract between the company and the individual athlete.  Unless it's publicized you can only speculate. 

There is a new group that is starting a $10mil fund for all Texas athletes with former star players on the boards.  Additionally they started the "Pancake Factory" program for offensive linemen to get $50k/yr to do community outreach for a 501C Horns with Heart.   So some school boosters are coming up with inventive ways to pay players.   The Schools can not be involved in brokering deals.   What some schools have done is get a 3rd party that will advise the student athlete on NIL but not be involved in monetary transactions. 

I proposed a crowd source program for SLU basketball that we could contribute to and maybe the athlete would meet support for a dinner or happy hour and sign stuff or take pictures.  I'm kinda busy at with or else I'd try to set it up. 

RUBillsFan likes this

24 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I proposed a crowd source program for SLU basketball that we could contribute to and maybe the athlete would meet support for a dinner or happy hour and sign stuff or take pictures.  I'm kinda busy at with or else I'd try to set it up. 

-I've also thought about it but think it would take a lot of time

4 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I think NCAA is going to stay away from NIL.  NCAA is slowly dying as they've abdicated responsibility and had their peepee slapped in federal court.  Some states have their own NIL laws.

Check this deal out...

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-AM-WR-Demond-Demas-announces-NIL-deal-with-Durex-USA-177074863/

I heard Astroglide approached some Billikens for a deal but they said, "nah we like to go raw." 

Don't kink-shame, plz.

slufanskip likes this