SLU Athletes NIL thread

f05:  Good to know you speak for everybody.  Nothing like a little verbal self-pomposity to enter into the fray.  You haven't explained anything.  I said and thanked john and Gremio for that.  You don't have the attention span to answer/type more than a line or two, you said that yourself.  So put me on ignore and we'll both be better off for it.  

All:  i certainly acknowledge the feasibility of social media influencing.  I'm asking and have asked how that works.  Now I know thanks to Gremio and john.  They didn't take a textbook to explain and neither of them dropped inane one-liners or determined which metal container was devoid of color.  

Now that I know how it works, my next focus would be on how many $50 bills are needed to add up to $200,000.  f05 will never get the math but it's 4,000.  That's a lot of Pasta House ads or even others.  So my assumption then would be that Yuri will need to supplement his Pasta House income with some other vendor.  I'd also like to know what Dr. Thatch is getting in his Pickle House deal.  I know that won't be information that comes my way but I am indeed curious.  Why?  Because I am just curious to know or understand how SLU plays in the current NIL environment.  As you know, I think the whole booster organizations and their pay-for-play deals are illegal and against the spirit of the law.  Plus SLU, given the experience with our BoT, doesn't seem to be so athletically-inclined as to go out and broker deals worth hundreds of thousands of dollars potentially being diverted from SLU coffers to pay any athletes, regardless of gender or sport.  I think NIL is a good thing if done the right way.  

My final curiosity is how does a company like Pasta House decide after time that their marketing dollars were well spent and directed in the right medium to the right audience.  Working for various companies prior to retirement, marketing endeavors are evaluated and re-evaluated on a yearly basis at a minimum.  In Dayton, you could tally how many Mali Meals were purchased, as an example.  That's peanuts compared to giving Nigel Pack $400,000 just for having been enrolled at a Miami of Florida.  

The devil is in the details and the details have me curious.  

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

f05:  Good to know you speak for everybody.  Nothing like a little verbal self-pomposity to enter into the fray.  You haven't explained anything.  I said and thanked john and Gremio for that.  You don't have the attention span to answer/type more than a line or two, you said that yourself.  So put me on ignore and we'll both be better off for it.  

All:  i certainly acknowledge the feasibility of social media influencing.  I'm asking and have asked how that works.  Now I know thanks to Gremio and john.  They didn't take a textbook to explain and neither of them dropped inane one-liners or determined which metal container was devoid of color.  

Now that I know how it works, my next focus would be on how many $50 bills are needed to add up to $200,000.  f05 will never get the math but it's 4,000.  That's a lot of Pasta House ads or even others.  So my assumption then would be that Yuri will need to supplement his Pasta House income with some other vendor.  I'd also like to know what Dr. Thatch is getting in his Pickle House deal.  I know that won't be information that comes my way but I am indeed curious.  Why?  Because I am just curious to know or understand how SLU plays in the current NIL environment.  As you know, I think the whole booster organizations and their pay-for-play deals are illegal and against the spirit of the law.  Plus SLU, given the experience with our BoT, doesn't seem to be so athletically-inclined as to go out and broker deals worth hundreds of thousands of dollars potentially being diverted from SLU coffers to pay any athletes, regardless of gender or sport.  I think NIL is a good thing if done the right way.  

My final curiosity is how does a company like Pasta House decide after time that their marketing dollars were well spent and directed in the right medium to the right audience.  Working for various companies prior to retirement, marketing endeavors are evaluated and re-evaluated on a yearly basis at a minimum.  In Dayton, you could tally how many Mali Meals were purchased, as an example.  That's peanuts compared to giving Nigel Pack $400,000 just for having been enrolled at a Miami of Florida.  

Mix in a water once in awhile. Nothing says self importance like your reactions from a couch in wherever you are diatribes.

I explained it, he posts on social media and pasta house cuts a check. Its really not complicated enough to warrant more than a simple sentence. Not every post has to be 5 paragraphs

rgbilliken, slufan13 and TaLBErt like this

47 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

These deals aren't meant to compete with the 200k pay-for-play-masquerading-as-NIL deals. They are local businesses paying student athletes their worth on the free market for a service. The service in this case is posting an ad to a targeted audience, the same as any Instagram influencer. This isn't meant to sound snarky, but ask your grandkids about it. 

johnbj14, RUBillsFan and TaLBErt like this

24 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

These deals aren't meant to compete with the 200k pay-for-play-masquerading-as-NIL deals. They are local businesses paying student athletes their worth on the free market for a service. The service in this case is posting an ad to a targeted audience, the same as any Instagram influencer. This isn't meant to sound snarky, but ask your grandkids about it. 

snarky maybe, funny YES :)

rgbilliken likes this

I thought slufan13 left the board some time back.  Oh well.  In.  Out.  In.  Out.  In. Out.  

This is my medium in which to express my thoughts, my questions, my observations.  You don't like them, start a blog.  Or a webcast.  Place me on ignore.  Whatever.  Put a hat on backwards and scare off the adults.  

@rgbilliken I actually didn't think it was snarky.  My grandkids are seven, five and one.  I won't be getting any help from them so I turn to the savants on this board.  Again, if this is the SLU game plan for its athletes, by accepting businesses that want to do business with Billiken athletes for NIL opportunities, I'm okay with that.  That seems to fit the spirit of the law.  But if the going rate remains in place, we and about 250 other schools will face a harsh reality in terms of competitiveness for future recruits and keeping our players who warrant a look-see from these P5 monsters lurkign under our beds at night.  

rgbilliken likes this

Taj, I like your last post but I think that the equation "Large NIL payments = Success" is not necessarily correct. I think we need to watch St. Bona's future standings carefully. I take St. Bona as an example since, even though they raised the enormous sum of $80,000 (enormous for Olean) to give a NIL to one of their "iron men", they could not pay enough to keep their players that wanted big NIL money. St. Bona is a school that will, by necessity, not be able to play the NIL game. I think they will be forced to choose recruits primarily from the HS graduating class group of players. A lot of these kids have real talent but they have been less successful in their efforts to play for good D1 level schools than in the past. If, using primarily this pool of talent, St. Bona manages to maintain their ranking and status this and in coming seasons, we will know that there are other ways to play this game. I do not think paying huge amounts in NILs is good for any team. This is my opinion, of course. You can decide I am wrong, etc...

On 5/29/2022 at 8:21 AM, Taj79 said:

@littlebill:  not much if only salad dressing.  I can't see him polishing off $200,000 worth of salad dressing, no matter how large a family he is feeding.  And is salad dressing the new bitcoin?

@f05:  for what?  Posting a picture on Instagram?  What does one picture get you?  Like those people in Times Square and in costume?  Maybe $20 per photo.  Or is it $200,000 for this photo?  

@johnbj14:  what does a "standard endorsement deal" go for?  Does Tatum go for the same price as Yuri Unknown?  I don't 'follow' Tatum so does he just do Instagram posts?  And since I'm not in St. Louis, I don't know if Tatum is on the tube hawking Imo's.  Is he?  Is Yuri?  Standard is standard right?  Tatum and Collins DO bring the same advertising clout, right?

Tons of cynicism in all the above but the question is still a legitimate one:  does he make money on this?  Last time I asked, some smart ass said Strickland was getting all the chicken he could eat at Cane's.  All the chicken and or salad dressing doesn't amount to much in terms of dollars for these poor kids.  And I'm not some great entrepreneur who thinks he knows how all this hashtag crap and followers and the like works.  So I'm asking.  And I know you don't know what this deal is or that deal --- but doesn't someone know how a standard deal might work.  What about the Fred/Salsa deal?  In cokmparison, how much does a podcast pocket for having its own salsa deal ... for comparison's sake?  

I've said in the past I'm all for NIL deals but what is being done now is not what the spirit of the law entails.  And I know there is no law because the NCAA abdicated all responsibility here and is only now trying to put the genie back in the bottle.  And I still contend that SLU NIL deals will pale in comparison to under the table money being paid out by these booster clubs.  It's one thing to pocket some chump change on NIL deals as opposed to making al living off your college basketball playing days.  

Why am I mentioned in this

On 5/30/2022 at 9:22 AM, rgbilliken said:

I think you have a pretty blue colored lens in this take. 

There are some of these that are truly just "hey this person has 20,000 followers so that is worth $x for a post" but a majority of what you'll see are strangely going to lineup with the list of sponsors you see at SLU games as well. It is just boosters paying players, and that is A-OK. 

28 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I think you have a pretty blue colored lens in this take. 

There are some of these that are truly just "hey this person has 20,000 followers so that is worth $x for a post" but a majority of what you'll see are strangely going to lineup with the list of sponsors you see at SLU games as well. It is just boosters paying players, and that is A-OK. 

This is definitely true, too. I am sure these business owners are SLU fans. But they are still paying for a service. I am sure Two Men and a Garden got a great ROI on their ad with Thatch if they paid him market rates, for example. I personally spent like 40 bucks on salsa, which I did to support Thatch and encourage more businesses to do... But it's not mutually exclusive with me enjoying the salsa too. Hope that makes sense. 

RUBillsFan and JMM28 like this

1 hour ago, rgbilliken said:

This is definitely true, too. I am sure these business owners are SLU fans. But they are still paying for a service. I am sure Two Men and a Garden got a great ROI on their ad with Thatch if they paid him market rates, for example. I personally spent like 40 bucks on salsa, which I did to support Thatch and encourage more businesses to do... But it's not mutually exclusive with me enjoying the salsa too. Hope that makes sense. 

End of last week I just put in an order for salsa with Two Men and a Garden. Prior to the Thatch ad I never heard of them. So the ad scored with me. Hopefully it arrives soon and the salsa is good 🥲

rgbilliken and thetorch like this

56 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

End of last week I just put in an order for salsa with Two Men and a Garden. Prior to the Thatch ad I never heard of them. So the ad scored with me. Hopefully it arrives soon and the salsa is good 🥲

Sure you have heard from them, before this they used to run a company called Two Men and a Truck. The truck must have broken down or very few people are moving nowadays.

36 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I also liked the bad post and troll post reactions.

That's why is saved this image for future use...

This Is A Bad Post. | Know Your Meme

I liked bad post/troll too. I have probably used them < 5 times total but overall I think the reactions were good for people like me who don't post quite as much. Actually I think more, not less reactions, would be good. Part of the problem as some people have pointed out...Just because you disagree with a post that doesn't necessarily mean it is bad.  Like/Agree/Disagree/Haha/Uncalled for/Troll would be what I would do, I think. 

slufan13 likes this

3 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

So how was the salsa?

1 minute ago, Slowry said:

So how was the salsa?

We got the hot salsa and the spicy dill pickles, plus a DIY pickle seasoning. Haven't pickled anything yet--plan to use that on some peppers we are growing in our garden. But I really liked the salsa and the pickles. Both live up to the name of actually being spicy, which is great and hard to find at the grocery store imo. The salsa has some sweetness to it to cut the spice.

I'm in the Kansas City metro and was thrilled to find Two Men and a Garden was sold at my local farmers market last weekend, so I've picked up more stuff in the time since my original order, which I had placed online.

19 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

We got the hot salsa and the spicy dill pickles, plus a DIY pickle seasoning. Haven't pickled anything yet--plan to use that on some peppers we are growing in our garden. But I really liked the salsa and the pickles. Both live up to the name of actually being spicy, which is great and hard to find at the grocery store imo. The salsa has some sweetness to it to cut the spice.

I'm in the Kansas City metro and was thrilled to find Two Men and a Garden was sold at my local farmers market last weekend, so I've picked up more stuff in the time since my original order, which I had placed online.

I bought a little of everything for the exact same reasons. I'm really digging the Bread & Butter Kickers. A little sweet at first but the spice kicks in after. Really good stuff! 

rgbilliken likes this

My wife has a pepper garden. Last year we had a huge crop of cayenne peppers so she made hot sauce out of them and stored the mason jars of cayenne sauce in the  pantry. It was pretty hot stuff by the way. I have been eating it slowly, I like heat. Recently I finished a jar and came up to an unopened jar that had the top layer of the sauce changed to a darker, brownish color. She thought it was spoiled but I tried it anyway and have been using the browner stuff regularly. This darker layer has developed less heat and added some sweetness to it, it is really nice. The message here is not to be afraid of experimenting with the stuff you grow. You do not know if something is spoiled or if it has changed for the better until you try a bit of it. Happy gardening you all.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

My wife has a pepper garden. Last year we had a huge crop of cayenne peppers so she made hot sauce out of them and stored the mason jars of cayenne sauce in the  pantry. It was pretty hot stuff by the way. I have been eating it slowly, I like heat. Recently I finished a jar and came up to an unopened jar that had the top layer of the sauce changed to a darker, brownish color. She thought it was spoiled but I tried it anyway and have been using the browner stuff regularly. This darker layer has developed less heat and added some sweetness to it, it is really nice. The message here is not to be afraid of experimenting with the stuff you grow. You do not know if something is spoiled or if it has changed for the better until you try a bit of it. Happy gardening you all.

Do you ever worry she might be putting just a little bit of antifreeze into the hot sauce?

willie and dlarry like this

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

She thought it was spoiled but I tried it anyway and have been using the browner stuff regularly. This darker layer has developed less heat and added some sweetness to it, it is really nice. The message here is not to be afraid of experimenting with the stuff you grow. You do not know if something is spoiled or if it has changed for the better until you try a bit of it. Happy gardening you all.

Botulism is tasty?  High acid foods are less likely for botulism.  Old Guy's advice is risky. 

Though I also made some hot sauce from some habaneros grown in my yard.  I can probably get a Lindenwood player to sponsor my stuff.  

I have already gone through a full mason jar of sauce and have been eating the second one with the color change for most of the week. I think if I was going to die of botulism from eating this stuff, I would be dead already. Conclusion, it is tasty and it does not contain botulism toxin. The fact that I am writing this proves it.

18 hours ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Same here. Thatch is the reason I’ve been looking for it. I looked at my local  Schnucks. Their website said it was sold there but I couldn’t find it. I’ll try again next week. 

9 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Botulism is tasty?  High acid foods are less likely for botulism.  Old Guy's advice is risky. 

Though I also made some hot sauce from some habaneros grown in my yard.  I can probably get a Lindenwood player to sponsor my stuff.  

Lindenwood gives scholarships to beauty queens. I think you’d be better off going with one of them to sponsor your sauce than a basketball player. 

9 hours ago, dlarry said:

Same here. Thatch is the reason I’ve been looking for it. I looked at my local  Schnucks. Their website said it was sold there but I couldn’t find it. I’ll try again next week. 

Lindenwood gives scholarships to beauty queens. I think you’d be better off going with one of them to sponsor your sauce than a basketball player. 

Depending on the store sometimes Dierbergs and Schnucks put the 2 men products in with the other salsas and pickles, sometimes they put them in with a local display, which could be anywhere in the store.  Best to ask an associate.  Fresh Thyme locations also carry all the 2men products.

dlarry likes this

16 hours ago, thetorch said:

Depending on the store sometimes Dierbergs and Schnucks put the 2 men products in with the other salsas and pickles, sometimes they put them in with a local display, which could be anywhere in the store.  Best to ask an associate.  Fresh Thyme locations also carry all the 2men products.

Thanks for the information. ill do that my next trip to the grocery store.