SLU Athletes NIL thread

So now that I've slept on this TyTy news, I think the NCAA is seeing the first case of opening a can of worms on this NIL stuff.  Making chump change over t-shirts and jackets or getting a few followers on a social media site pales in comparison to an $80,000 vehicle.  There is no change in this kid's pocket PLUS, he has to fill it with gas the price of which is rising like the late 70's OPEC crisis.  I am sure someone can come along (Circle K) and do a NIL deal with the kid that guarantees him gas.  But was this the NIL intent?  There is nothing different in this car case than other instances of violations like Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State and others.  "TyTy Washington says buy a Porsche at Louisville Porsche" is meaningless outside the Commonwealth of Kentucky but so it goes.  

I am curious ..... how many of you think this is a valid NIL deal?  

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

So now that I've slept on this TyTy news, I think the NCAA is seeing the first case of opening a can of worms on this NIL stuff.  Making chump change over t-shirts and jackets or getting a few followers on a social media site pales in comparison to an $80,000 vehicle.  There is no change in this kid's pocket PLUS, he has to fill it with gas the price of which is rising like the late 70's OPEC crisis.  I am sure someone can come along (Circle K) and do a NIL deal with the kid that guarantees him gas.  But was this the NIL intent?  There is nothing different in this car case than other instances of violations like Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State and others.  "TyTy Washington says buy a Porsche at Louisville Porsche" is meaningless outside the Commonwealth of Kentucky but so it goes.  

I am curious ..... how many of you think this is a valid 

You know Spencer Rattler  the benched OU QB, got 2 cars.  Demarion Overshown Texas LB got his mom a car.  This is now the reality and it's in the open instead of hidden.   So now to compete you have to adjust to the environment.   Texas just agreed to allow student athletes to do NIL with the school trademark logos because they were falling behind the arms race.   That's huge. 

All's fair, in NIL.  Look for more unintended consequences like Quinn Ewers (#1 2022 QB recruit)forgoing his senior year to enroll at tOSU because Texas state NIL law doesn't allow HS athletes in on the action.   Expect Texas to adjust that to keep kids in HS.  So think about that,  HS arms race. Imagine Darius Miles or Larry Hughes in High School getting paid NIL.

Pandora's box is open, no putting Humpty Dumpty back together, no turning back.   Lead follow or get out of the way. 

I had an idea to crowd source NIL $ for our SLU basketball team.  We could pick a player per month, use Patreon to handle the money.  Pay the kid whatever we raise then maybe he could sign a SLU souvenir and 1 supporter wins.  Or meet backers for post game slingers.   Whatever,  get creative the skies the limit.   What do we need on our team?  A recruit?  Find em, offer em a NIL deal.  Could that help us beat out Tulsa or WKU or whoever?  Maybe.  

brianstl, BilliesBy40 and Taj79 like this

If Cowboy's scenario is correct, then what would stop the MBM's of Billikens.com from setting up a dinner with the players at a local establishment?  $200 a person to meet the players and dine with them.  After the costs of the meal, the players get the difference.

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If Cowboy's scenario is correct, then what would stop the MBM's of Billikens.com from setting up a dinner with the players at a local establishment?  $200 a person to meet the players and dine with them.  After the costs of the meal, the players get the difference.

I love the idea of a Billikens.com crowd funded NIL arrangement. 

Just checked out Fred's website. The Bulldog is the name/emblem of the Sikeston HS athletics. He has a full line of clothing including clothing for teens and kids, it is quite extensive. A lot of it is apparently directed to the Sikeston maket with the dog. I like the "What's to Fear" graphic. I wish him all the best. Again this is not a limited lineup of products he is selling but a rather extensive line for a first effort. Check it out.

I lived in the Bootheel for about 6 years, visited Sikeston regularly and still do - even worked there on regular occasion. 

I can assure y'all that Sikeston LOVES their FT. He's the pride of their town second only to Lambert's and the Jaycee Rodeo. I imagine that love will translate into overwhelming support of anything he does - his basketball camp, this product line, and whatever is to come in his future.   

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

I lived in the Bootheel for about 6 years, visited Sikeston regularly and still do - even worked there on regular occasion. 

I can assure y'all that Sikeston LOVES their FT. He's the pride of their town second only to Lambert's and the Jaycee Rodeo. I imagine that love will translate into overwhelming support of anything he does - his basketball camp, this product line, and whatever is to come in his future.   

This stuff is so cool imo. 

Reinert310 likes this

3 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

Which is exactly why a good portion of his line of clothing is Sikeston Bulldog labelled. He has business sense, he does.

On 10/25/2021 at 2:50 PM, Bills By 40 said:

It would be amazing to see Lambert’s and Thatch collab. For every Thatch assist, rolls sent to a local food pantry or something. Bootheel Billikens baby!

Bills By 40 likes this

Interesting.  Anyone know the ability of Billikens to use school logos yet?  I ask because 1) last night’s home white jerseys said “Billikens” across the front and 2) Aren’t we “Saint Louis” and not “ST LOUIS” as Hargrove’s Jersey says?  Seems wrong on two counts.  Just taking notice.

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Interesting.  Anyone know the ability of Billikens to use school logos yet?  I ask because 1) last night’s home white jerseys said “Billikens” across the front and 2) Aren’t we “Saint Louis” and not “ST LOUIS” as Hargrove’s Jersey says?  Seems wrong on two counts.  Just taking notice.

"St. Louis" might be the loophole they needed to put it on the merch. Unlikely that it's an oversight

51 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I can't confirm nor deny but that's the gray area and why I imagine the Hargrove Airlines merch isn't using "Saint Louis" 

This is from something I posted a month ago.  Apparently Missouri is one of the most NIL friendly states, so perhaps using school logos is okay by the State.  (See Bonner89's post from last Friday on page 3 of this thread.) If so, then it is up to the school to decide. 

The NCAA has released guidelines stating only that schools cannot facilitate NIL ventures for athletes and that athletes cannot strike deals that are built around pay-for play.  Everything else is up to interpretation.  Some schools are operating under state laws that mandate additional rules.  For instances, states like Texas and South Carolina specifically bar athletes from using their school's marks in NIL deals.  Other states' laws don't address the issue.  Schools operating in states without laws get to make up their own playbooks.  And we'll see whether to allow athletes to use those school marks is among the most consequential decisions they face.

Creative interpretation of the NCAA guidelines is not only expected, but it is also already happening.

• 1 month later...

The name Quinn Ewers may not ring a bell, but the story should.  Ewers is the stud QB out of Texas who graduated high school a year early and enrolled at Ohio State in order to take a $1.4 million over 3 years NIL deal.  In Texas, HS athletes can't sign NIL deals.

Ewers spent the season on the Buckeye bench as anticipated.  He played briefly in one game.

And yep, now he has entered the portal, heading back to a university in Texas.

That was money well spent.

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

The name Quinn Ewers may not ring a bell, but the story should.  Ewers is the stud QB out of Texas who graduated high school a year early and enrolled at Ohio State in order to take a $1.4 million over 3 years NIL deal.  In Texas, HS athletes can't sign NIL deals.

Ewers spent the season on the Buckeye bench as anticipated.  He played briefly in one game.

And yep, now he has entered the portal, heading back to a university in Texas.

That was money well spent.

did he get any  of the 1.4M?

If anybody Has a "deal" have some courtesy to explain just what it is.  Fred and Yuri and Hargrove selling their own t-shirts and jackets is one thing.  But if there is an actual "deal," I'd like to know what it is and how we all go out there and support it.  Strickland.  Jimerson (if the Barstool Sports deal announced earlier was real).  

A google search for Raising Cane show them to be a chicken place.  Is this the Raising Cane of which you speak?  I don't think we have any here in the great Grand Duchey of PA but I saw something where one was coming maybe to Pittsburg.