SLU Athletes NIL thread

Now who cares if it's not successful?  What about all the kids who are going to choose Big State U. over us little guys?  I thought this was a brand new recruiting tool.  Come to us where you can make a million bucks (Alabama QB) over Podunk U. where it is next to nothing?  Maybe that is not your argument but it is out there.  Kids should take advantages of all things available to them.  I always thought that was a benefit of a free education and yet we always hear stories of kids who graduate but can't read or write or kids hidden away in bogus majors.  My original thought --- that this NIL opportunity would be judged later in the cycle --- still stands.  While I understand supply and demand, my jury is still out on demand.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-if under NIL I wanted to take one or more Billiken Student Athletes to lunch, pay for their lunch and give them each $20 or $100 for my honor of dining with them, would that be allowable? this seems like a way an average fan could get kids some cash and for the tax folks out there, being under $600 would they have to report this as income to IRS?

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

My (any)day is always enjoyable.  Thanks for the sentiments.  I think old guy is also correct.  I wish all the Bills success in the NIL pursuit.  I anxiously look forward to the end-of-year accounting that shows the ledger sheet on who made what doing whatever.  Any discussion on NIL is moot until the final tally sheets come in.  I will say the best item I have ever seen was the one my buddy did a few years back.  It was a takeoff of the Michael Jordan silhouette with Jordair elevating for a layup, with his dreadlocks flying in the air during his fantastic senior season.  Of course, that was one shirt and Jordair got nothing for it.  So far, the only thing I've seen close to that is the Osunniyi shirts.  

-who is publishing this and what's it called?

2 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-if under NIL I wanted to take one or more Billiken Student Athletes to lunch, pay for their lunch and give them each $20 or $100 for my honor of dining with them, would that be allowable? this seems like a way an average fan could get kids some cash and for the tax folks out there, being under $600 would they have to report this as income to IRS?

no

15 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-you know this lunch proposal is not okay? what's the difference between this and my car dealer friend 'NILing' a student/athlete to be at their store to sign autographs? 

I am of the understanding that your example is perfectly allowable 

I’m gonna be getting some homefield and Unknown and Fred Thatch merch and wearing it to games this year. I genuinely really like the logo’s from Yuri and Fred

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I’m gonna be getting some homefield and Unknown and Fred Thatch merch and wearing it to games this year. I genuinely really like the logo’s from Yuri and Fred

https://fredthatchmerch.com/products/ft-embroidered-letterman-jacket

Yessir. This jacket is sweet. I’ll be wearing it to Chaifetz at some point this winter.

35 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

State of Missouri tied at 2nd

ESL's footballer Luther Burden decommitted from Oklahoma and committed to Missouri.  He said it was a 'business decision'.  This chart lends credence that the NIL phenomena will tilt to those schools who can deliver the most $$.  He should get more $$ at Mizzou than he was going to get at OU.  

24 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Does anyone have a link to Yuri Collin's merchandise?

https://instagram.com/unknownycofficial?utm_medium=copy_link

I’m  assuming for ordering, you message the account. So far it’s just T-Shirts, but I love the logo. 

@Cowboy II --- I made that up but one has to believe there will be some sort of accounting done somewhere along the line.  I can't see the NCAA saying 'here go make money" and then not police it in some way shape or form.  Even if it's a simple accounting ledger.  

As for taking kids out to lunch and slipping them money .... that's like the old Eddie Sutton/FedEx story of years gone by.  What part of "name, Image and likeness" are you buying for my nutrition lunch of White Castles, Imo's and Falstaff Lite?  I also can't believe Littlebill when he says birthday messages are allowable.  I can be convinced otherwise but again, what part of "name, image and likeness" is rendered in "Yo bay-bee, 'sdup.  Happy Birthday.  Peace Out."

What I see Fred and Yuri doing is not only the letter of the law but the spirit of the law as well.  Still, at most, chump change.  But better than before.  Again, time will tell.  

If I'm wrong on that Cameo stuff, please enlighten me.  I remain curious.

willie likes this

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@Cowboy II --- I made that up but one has to believe there will be some sort of accounting done somewhere along the line.  I can't see the NCAA saying 'her go make money" and then not police it in some way shape or form.  Even if it's a simple accounting ledger.  

As for taking kids out to lunch and slipping them money .... that's like the old Eddie Sutton/FedEx story of years gone by.  What part of "name, Image and likeness" are you buying for my nutrition lunch of White Castles, Imo's and Falstaff Lite?  I also can't believe Littlebill when he says birthday messages are allowable.  I can be convinced otherwise but again, what part of "name, image and likeness" is rendered in "Yo bay-bee, 'sdup.  Happy Birthday.  Peace Out."

What I see Fred and Yuri doing is not only the letter of the law but the spirit of the law as well.  Still, at most, chump change.  But better than before.  Again, time will tell.  

If I'm wrong on that Cameo stuff, please enlighten me.  I remain curious.

https://businessofcollegesports.com/name-image-likeness/top-student-athletes-monetizing-their-nil-on-cameo/amp/

Well I stand corrected.  Thanks brian.  What's the payout for such signature?  Going back to my Sean Clifford example, he got $50/pop for an autograph.  What's the pop for a birthday cameo?  What's the pop for Kelsey Turnbow pushing ChilliBeds on social media?  Anthony Richardson may have an attorney and a strategy, but what six- and seven-figure deals is he raking in?  I still want to see proof in what Nick Saban said about his QB raking in millions.  

Just another MBM looking for the coin in that pot with the rainbow.

TyTy Washington just signed a deal with a Louisville Porsche dealer.  In the deal, he gets a brand new, $80k Cayenne SUV.  Now that's interesting.  But not the norm, I'm willing to bet.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32442440/kentucky-men-basketball-freshman-tyty-washington-gets-nil-deal-porsche-dealership

20 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

TyTy Washington just signed a deal with a Louisville Porsche dealer.  In the deal, he gets a brand new, $80k Cayenne SUV.  Now that's interesting.  But not the norm, I'm willing to bet.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32442440/kentucky-men-basketball-freshman-tyty-washington-gets-nil-deal-porsche-dealership

I just saw that too.  Our guys are slang’n tshirts while UK players are driving around in new Porsches… what a country!!