SLU Athletes NIL thread

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

I think it has to do with work vs student visas? I base that off a random tweet I saw though, so could be way off here.

You are exactly right.  If you read the replies to Schroeder's tweet, Carter Chapley mentions the F1 visa.  He's a Canadian & has experience with student visas.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors/students-and-employment

Employment

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions.

I'd imagine some of the same folks who may drag the NCAA about this would also be up in arms over student immigrants stealing American jobs.

This is a fed thing, not an NCAA thing.

Standard fare for Visas.

Nothing stopping Lorentsson from getting a swedish screen printer to make him shirts to sell in US. I'd pay the shipping.

All I'm saying is it is common practice.  I didn't say it was similar to anyone.  You said my statement was "wild."  I gave you another logo.  You then said there could be "500 logos" like this.  I would argue against that statement in that the Roger Federer logo looks nothing like Tiger Woods which looks nothing like Fred Thatch's.  Short of his initials, Fred Thatch has no cachet.  I applaud Fred for this attempt.  I still don't think it's going very far.  To me, it'd be like buying a "ZM" t-shirt.  

5 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

All I'm saying is it is common practice.  I didn't say it was similar to anyone.  You said my statement was "wild."  I gave you another logo.  You then said there could be "500 logos" like this.  I would argue against that statement in that the Roger Federer logo looks nothing like Tiger Woods which looks nothing like Fred Thatch's.  Short of his initials, Fred Thatch has no cachet.  I applaud Fred for this attempt.  I still don't think it's going very far.  To me, it'd be like buying a "ZM" t-shirt.  

Ok. Enjoy your Friday. 

There may be a deeper reason why Thatch is trying to launch his own brand in the net. At this time he has some name recognition, however limited it may be to Bills fans and Sikeston locals, and he is trying to attract buyers for his offerings. Good for Thatch. Now, if he was lucky enough to have some of his sweatshirts (which he will no doubt bring out soon) offered by the local Sams or Costcos, he might well be onto  something. I wish him good fortune in this endeavor.

My (any)day is always enjoyable.  Thanks for the sentiments.  I think old guy is also correct.  I wish all the Bills success in the NIL pursuit.  I anxiously look forward to the end-of-year accounting that shows the ledger sheet on who made what doing whatever.  Any discussion on NIL is moot until the final tally sheets come in.  I will say the best item I have ever seen was the one my buddy did a few years back.  It was a takeoff of the Michael Jordan silhouette with Jordair elevating for a layup, with his dreadlocks flying in the air during his fantastic senior season.  Of course, that was one shirt and Jordair got nothing for it.  So far, the only thing I've seen close to that is the Osunniyi shirts.  

20 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

My (any)day is always enjoyable.  Thanks for the sentiments.  I think old guy is also correct.  I wish all the Bills success in the NIL pursuit.  I anxiously look forward to the end-of-year accounting that shows the ledger sheet on who made what doing whatever.  Any discussion on NIL is moot until the final tally sheets come in.  I will say the best item I have ever seen was the one my buddy did a few years back.  It was a takeoff of the Michael Jordan silhouette with Jordair elevating for a layup, with his dreadlocks flying in the air during his fantastic senior season.  Of course, that was one shirt and Jordair got nothing for it.  So far, the only thing I've seen close to that is the Osunniyi shirts.  

Did you miss Fred Thatch’s very successful basketball camp in Sikeston? That was an NIL endeavor. Did you miss the Yuri Collins UNKNOWN T-shirt’s? That’s NIL.  Did you miss TJ signing with a company to produce tshirts, which he recently teased a design for? That’s NIL. 

Didn't miss any of that.  Show me the dollar figures and then we'll measure the success level.  Sean Clifford, the Penn State QB, came to Harrisburg and did an autograph signing session for $50/pop.  That was NIL and covered to death here locally as it was the first local case of NIL.  If he's done it since, there has been no pub on it.  Was it a success?  Don't know, haven't seen the bottom line. I'm sure the goals were modest.  When money is involved, the common denominator in success is the bottom line and if it supports the goals and objectives.  If the goal and objective is to put a little free spending money in a player's pocket, success might be measured differently.  If the goal and objective is to make a living, different measuring sticks.  I'm not saying these efforts are more the latter than the former, but like any program, success is defined over the longevity of the program.  Lots of well-intentioned start ups have crashing final acts.  Again, only time and the bottom line will tell.  

I'm reminded of Bill Saigh, a marketing prof at SLU back in my days.  He took a sabbatical in 1976 to test his theory to see if a health-oriented restaurant could survive and be profitable.  Viola, he created "The Lettuce Leaf."  By the time he was done he had five locations, four in St. Louis and one in KC.  Longevity and financial success.  I suspect NIL success woudl be much more short-lived but measurements are measurements.

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Didn't miss any of that.  Show me the dollar figures and then we'll measure the success level.  Sean Clifford, the Penn State QB, came to Harrisburg and did an autograph signing session for $50/pop.  That was NIL and covered to death here locally as it was the first local case of NIL.  If he's done it since, there has been no pub on it.  Was it a success?  Don't know, haven't seen the bottom line. I'm sure the goals were modest.  When money is involved, the common denominator in success is the bottom line and if it supports the goals and objectives.  If the goal and objective is to put a little free spending money in a player's pocket, success might be measured differently.  If the goal and objective is to make a living, different measuring sticks.  I'm not saying these efforts are more the latter than the former, but like any program, success is defined over the longevity of the program.  Lots of well-intentioned start ups have crashing final acts.  Again, only time and the bottom line will tell.  

I'm reminded of Bill Saigh, a marketing prof at SLU back in my days.  He took a sabbatical in 1976 to test his theory to see if a health-oriented restaurant could survive and be profitable.  Viola, he created "The Lettuce Leaf."  By the time he was done he had five locations, four in St. Louis and one in KC.  Longevity and financial success.  I suspect NIL success woudl be much more short-lived but measurements are measurements.

Bill Saigh was one of my favorite profs. After the Lettuce Leaf closed he tried a soup store in the U City Loop. Great product but it failed because people wouldn't pay $10 for a cup of soup. Price and product matter. 

15 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Who cayuhs how successful it is? The point of NIL is not to guarantee monetary compensation but give SA’s the opportunity to do so. 

almaman, TaLBErt and drkelsey55 like this