SLU Athletes NIL thread

I think it might be useful to have a thread tracking SLU Athletes NIL deals.  We should all be liking, retweeting, & sharing these things on social media and supporting financially if you have the means.  I'd expect NIL will have a huge impact on recruiting in the future.

Littlebill, rgbilliken and Zink like this

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think it might be useful to have a thread tracking SLU Athletes NIL deals.  We should all be liking, retweeting, & sharing these things on social media and supporting financially if you have the means.  I'd expect NIL will have a huge impact on recruiting in the future.

Who here thinks the board should pool its money and hire a player? We could get them to wave a “Billikens.com” sandwich board on Grand or something! Lorentson has to go for $15 per hour, right? (Blue font)

BilliesBy40 and MattyMo213 like this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Okay help me. What is DaGuys YouTube?  The fact that I’ve never heard of it is irrelevant. 

billiken_roy likes this

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay help me. What is DaGuys YouTube?  The fact that I’ve never heard of it is irrelevant. 

I found the following with a little googling. It's the brainchild of a couple of Bommarito Automotive heirs:

https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/bommarito-sons-step-away-from-dealership-to-build-new-legacy/

I really don't know or understand how it all works in today's social media world.  What does a kid get .... so many bucks for so many retweets, likes, and shares?  Because advertisers are paying "Da Guys" for space on their platform?  This also returns me to the original question of players being able to use school colors and uniforms in these deals.  Osunniyi didn't have anything Bonaventure in his 'Shoon Squad' promo yet here TJ is wearing a Billikens uniform.  I am neither pro nor con, just asking the question.

I also thought we had a Bar Stool Sports gig for Gibson Jimerson on the books.  True?

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I really don't know or understand how it all works in today's social media world.  What does a kid get .... so many bucks for so many retweets, likes, and shares?  Because advertisers are paying "Da Guys" for space on their platform?  This also returns me to the original question of players being able to use school colors and uniforms in these deals.  Osunniyi didn't have anything Bonaventure in his 'Shoon Squad' promo yet here TJ is wearing a Billikens uniform.  I am neither pro nor con, just asking the question.

I believe it is up to each school to decide if their logos and other marks can be used by their athletes.

slufan13 likes this

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I don’t know, but I never knew McBroom had a You Tube channel that has made him a bundle. And there’s he couldn’t carry TJ’s jock. 

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

I found the following with a little googling. It's the brainchild of a couple of Bommarito Automotive heirs:

https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/bommarito-sons-step-away-from-dealership-to-build-new-legacy/

Thanks. That’s a pretty neat thing the brothers are doing. How much coin in TJ’s pockets? 

On 8/11/2021 at 7:35 PM, HoosierPal said:

Thanks. That’s a pretty neat thing the brothers are doing. How much coin in TJ’s pockets? 

I'd imagine it's a % of the revenue each piece of TJ-related content brings in rather than a flat amount. Think commission, royalty deal. 

• 1 month later...

There was an interesting recent article on NIL in SI.  While it was geared towards football, some of the information easily relates to basketball. Following are some excerpts.

The NCAA has released guidelines stating only that schools cannot facilitate NIL ventures for athletes and that athletes cannot strike deals that are built around pay-for play.  Everything else is up to interpretation.  Some schools are operating under state laws that mandate additional rules.  For instances, states like Texas and South Carolina specifically bar athletes from using their school's marks in NIL deals.  Other states' laws don't address the issue.  Schools operating in states without laws get to make up their own playbooks.  And we'll see whether to allow athletes to use those school marks is among the most consequential decisions they face.

Creative interpretation of the NCAA guidelines is not only expected, but it is also already happening.

For now football is king.  Big-money deals from the top percentiles are inflating averages.  For example, in July, the average transaction in INFLCR, one of the largest NIL platforms, was $923.  Yet the median deal was a mere $25.  On Opendorse, the average Division I athlete on the platform in July made $471, and the monthly median figure was just $35.

On Opendorse, the most used avenue for NIL is social media promotions, accounting for 88.5% of all transaction activity but just 46% of total money.  Football players made up 79% of the NIL market shares, followed by men's basketball (9.6%) and women's volleyball (5.5%).

Barstool Sports offered $100 of free apparel for any athlete who added the company's name to their social media bio.  According to Lawrence, more than 130,000 athletes have participated.  (I believe Jimerson is one of those who has done this.)

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

From the above it doesn’t sound much like the gold rush we expected. 

Yeah, it may take a while for this to get moving.  And most, or nearly all, of that SI data is football related.  We know that football drives TV money and donor money, so it will be interesting to see how basketball fleshes out.  We've read about the few 7 figure deals in football.  I haven't seen or heard anything about substantial dollars for any basketball player, but perhaps it is too early.  All I've seen for the Billikens is Thatch's camp and Jimerson's Barstool advertisement.

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah, it may take a while for this to get moving.  And most, or nearly all, of that SI data is football related.  We know that football drives TV money and donor money, so it will be interesting to see how basketball fleshes out.  We've read about the few 7 figure deals in football.  I haven't seen or heard anything about substantial dollars for any basketball player, but perhaps it is too early.  All I've seen for the Billikens is Thatch's camp and Jimerson's Barstool advertisement.

Yuri selling t shirts on social media, as well as TJ working with those youtubers

43 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Does anyone know how to get in touch with any of the players if one were to be interested in discussing an NIL deal?  If so, please IM me.  Thanks.

You could reach out to them directly via Twitter.  Everyone on the board should be following these guys on Twitter if they aren't already, more followers looks better for potential NIL deals.

Yuri Collins - @smoovYC1 - DMs open

Markhi Strickland - @MARKHIXV - DMs open

Javonte Perkins - @javontep - DMs open

Francis Okoro - @chibestfrank88 - DMs open

Rashad Williams - @snipashad - DMs open 

Marten Linssen - ???

Andre Lorentsson - @andrelorentsson - DMs closed

Jordan Nesbitt - @jneszz - DMs open

Fred Thatch Jr - @FredThatchJr - DMs closed

Terrence Hargrove Jr - @TerrenceHargro1 - DMs closed

Lassina Traore - @LassinaJunior - DMs closed

Gibson Jimerson - @JimersonGibson - DMs open

DeAndre Jones - @deandrefrfr - DMs closed

You can message any of the guys with open DMs privately.  For the other guys, you'd have to tweet at them publicly and/or ask them to follow you to allow you to DM them.

Alternatively, if reaching out to teenagers/early 20s guys on social media seems a little creepy, you could reach out to someone in the athletic department.  Here is the staff directory: https://slubillikens.com/staff-directory.  Someone in the compliance department would probably be best I'd guess.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

YURIMANIA I hope. 

His brand is “unknown” like his Instagram handle. I’ve seen a few of his shirt designs and think they look really cool. The question mark features prominently. 

1B628E69-43BD-4AFA-8BD7-1638B9D4FC93.png

20 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Does anyone know how to get in touch with any of the players if one were to be interested in discussing an NIL deal?  If so, please IM me.  Thanks.

@SLUMedBilliken15 pointed out the SLU People Finder in another thread.

Another option would be to use that people finder to get the player's SLU email addresses and shoot them an email.

Go to this website (https://ws.slu.edu/peoplefinder/index.php) and type in their name to find their email.

cgeldmacher likes this

18 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

His brand is “unknown” like his Instagram handle. I’ve seen a few of his shirt designs and think they look really cool. The question mark features prominently. 

1B628E69-43BD-4AFA-8BD7-1638B9D4FC93.png

OH my God I feel like such an idiot. I never paid that much attention and have been reading his ig handle as "u know NYC" and thought it was super weird he had NYC in his handle. Unknown yc makes a lot more sense lol

• 4 weeks later...