O.T. C-USA trivia

BLIKNS

Summer not much going on....

Can you name the original C-USA members and what division they were in?  

UNCC

USF

UofL

Cincy 

UAB

UH

SLU

Marq

USM

Memphis 

DePaul

Temple (maybe TCU, or Tulsa?)

As for divisions?!? Don't recall, I think they had names like National and.......

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

UNCC

USF

UofL

Cincy 

UAB

UH

SLU

Marq

USM

Memphis 

DePaul

Temple (maybe TCU, or Tulsa?)

As for divisions?!? Don't recall, I think they had names like National and.......

The 'T' school was Tulane.  And I don't think Houston was an original member.    I don't know the original divisions either, but at one point there were three, I think Red, White and Blue.

I had to look in an old sports reference book I have.  I remembered the divisions but not where we were.

Blue was Cincy, Depaul, Marquette and SLU

Red was UAB, Southern Miss, Tulane & S Florida

White was Louisville, Memphis, & Charlotte, Houston joined the white division in the following season.  They switched to two divisions 2 seasons later.

It was weird.

When the Great Midwest was formed they received a ton of buzz.

CUSA not so much.  They did a lot of strange things that made them look Bush League.  The Red, White, & Blue conferences were panned pretty widely.  Even the local media reallrepped for the Great Midwest, when we went to CUSA  it was just another crappy conference that SLU was in.  That was really when the SLU to Mo Valley narrative in the local media really started.  ANd it was a great conference till Cincy, Louisville etc took off.  We had some dregs that should have never been invited but still had 3-4 NCAA teams every year, final four berths, and a ton of NBA draft picks.

12 hours ago, thetorch said:

It was weird.

When the Great Midwest was formed they received a ton of buzz.

CUSA not so much.  They did a lot of strange things that made them look Bush League.  The Red, White, & Blue conferences were panned pretty widely.  Even the local media reallrepped for the Great Midwest, when we went to CUSA  it was just another crappy conference that SLU was in.  That was really when the SLU to Mo Valley narrative in the local media really started.  ANd it was a great conference till Cincy, Louisville etc took off.  We had some dregs that should have never been invited but still had 3-4 NCAA teams every year, final four berths, and a ton of NBA draft picks.

I think by crappy conference you mean the organization not the teams.

I would rather play in the original C-USA then the current A10. 

The Great Midwest was the best ever. Winning on any teams home court was tough.

i still say C-USA was too much public school for me.   i dont recall but i can only assume we didnt compete well in the non-revenue sports.   

the private school conferences like the A-10 or the Big East tend to have more like minded schools with similar budgets and morals.   also i like the aspect of more of the bigger cities being involved that helps with recruiting other students to attend Saint Louis University.   

yes playing the likes of Louisville and Memphis gave the men's basketball team better exposure and opportunity to play up.   but that is about all it gave us imo.  i'd rather be in the A-10.   the problem with the A-10 imo is small thinking conference leaders.   Brenda is the worst.   no doubt about that.   need a little more big time focus imo instead of excepting we are mid major forever.  that is exactly what separates the big east from the A-10.   they think Big and always have.