Primer on the Wizards and Goodwin's NBA chances

thetorch

back in the justin love days, i had become close with Justin Love's father.   Justin had graduated from SLU and was taking a run at the NBA with the Phoenix Suns.   If you all remember, Justin was actually a pretty good shooter already.   However, his dad would tell me of the time and patience and efforts of the Suns to increase Justin's range and accuracy and his Dad proclaimed to me that as the summer league was starting Justin's shot was the best it had ever been by far.  

my point is, i believe this is common work of the NBA.   Good for jordan goodwin that he took advantage of it and it sure seems after the first two games, it is paying off.   Probably more than fixing any slight mechanical problem (imo Jordan's outside shot never looked that bad.  maybe needed more arch, but from a visual standpoint, i thought his shot looked fine.   he just didnt make enough) they likely fixed his confidence in taking the shots more than anything.   

if he continues this pace he most certainly will get a chance at the next level.   i checked the g league overall stats this morning and currently Jordan is sittling at 7th in the league is scoring average.   of course we are talking 2 games.   let's see where he sits by end of 2021.   if he is still near the top like this, one would think he is going to become bradley beal's backup soon.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

back in the justin love days, i had become close with Justin Love's father.   Justin had graduated from SLU and was taking a run at the NBA with the Phoenix Suns.   If you all remember, Justin was actually a pretty good shooter already.   However, his dad would tell me of the time and patience and efforts of the Suns to increase Justin's range and accuracy and his Dad proclaimed to me that as the summer league was starting Justin's shot was the best it had ever been by far.  

my point is, i believe this is common work of the NBA.   Good for jordan goodwin that he took advantage of it and it sure seems after the first two games, it is paying off.   Probably more than fixing any slight mechanical problem (imo Jordan's outside shot never looked that bad.  maybe needed more arch, but from a visual standpoint, i thought his shot looked fine.   he just didnt make enough) they likely fixed his confidence in taking the shots more than anything.   

if he continues this pace he most certainly will get a chance at the next level.   i checked the g league overall stats this morning and currently Jordan is sittling at 7th in the league is scoring average.   of course we are talking 2 games.   let's see where he sits by end of 2021.   if he is still near the top like this, one would think he is going to become bradley beal's backup soon.

34 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I agree that if you're already 90% of the way, the NBA player development staff is the best there is at getting the last 10% out of you.  It's what they're paid to do.  Not recruiting, not being a surrogate father, not making sure you do your school work, not selling the program to boosters.  Ball.

The one point you are missing here, and I am not in any way denying the NBA coaching staff ability to improve player's shooting, is the fact that Goodwin is really motivated to improve and to get to the NBA out of the G league. Whatever the coaches are teacing, JG is really motivated to learn it.

Crewsorlose likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

The one point you are missing here, and I am not in any way denying the NBA coaching staff ability to improve player's shooting, is the fact that Goodwin is really motivated to improve and to get to the NBA out of the G league. Whatever the coaches are teaching, JG is really motivated to learn it.

On one of the earlier interviews/articles with Goodwin he stated that he had used a shooting coach this past summer to refine his shot. He gave that person a lot of credit.

The one item working against Goodwin on his quest to make The Show is that the Wiz will likely work their Two Way Contract Players, Winston and Ayayi, first before dipping into the Go-Go's regular roster.  Goodwin could be a candidate for a 10 day contract later on in the season.  Those occur when injuries mount and the roster thins out.

I know, and I am sure JG knows as well, that there are obstacles in his way and that his status will not change immediately. However, what I would do (and I am sure he will do too) is to make sure that he is ready for a transfer to the NBA whenever the chance comes his way and in whatever manner this chance arrives. He wants them to  know he is ready whenever they need him.

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

On one of the earlier interviews/articles with Goodwin he stated that he had used a shooting coach this past summer to refine his shot. He gave that person a lot of credit.

The one item working against Goodwin on his quest to make The Show is that the Wiz will likely work their Two Way Contract Players, Winston and Ayayi, first before dipping into the Go-Go's regular roster.  Goodwin could be a candidate for a 10 day contract later on in the season.  Those occur when injuries mount and the roster thins out.

All the guys near the end of the Wizards regular NBA roster have been playing really well to start the season.  Not great news for Goodwin, but I do prefer him to be in a winning organization instead of a dumpster fire.

The Go Go's just signed 31 year old former lottery pick Greg Monroe. 

Hopefully Greg turns out to be Goodwin's next Has and can get his assists numbers up, I think he'll be a good fit. I always liked him in the NBA and he had career averages of 13p/8r/2a/1s during his decade in the league but could never find a good fit, playing for 6 different teams and 3 different teams in each of his last two years before playing the last two years in the EuroLeague.  

15 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

All the guys near the end of the Wizards regular NBA roster have been playing really well to start the season.  Not great news for Goodwin, but I do prefer him to be in a winning organization instead of a dumpster fire.

Any NBA team can now sign Goodwin.  Since he isn't on a two-way contract and isn't on an assigned NBA contract, he is technically property of the league and not the Wizards.

3 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

The Go Go's just signed 31 year old former lottery pick Greg Monroe. 

Hopefully Greg turns out to be Goodwin's next Has and can get his assists numbers up, I think he'll be a good fit. I always liked him in the NBA and he had career averages of 13p/8r/2a/1s during his decade in the league but could never find a good fit, playing for 6 different teams and 3 different teams in each of his last two years before playing the last two years in the EuroLeague.  

Greg Monroe's problem is that he's a 6-11, 260 lb center who isn't an great rim protector on defense and can't stretch the floor at all on offense (1/17 career from 3 in 9 seasons).  Not much room for those guys in the modern NBA.

Given his size / talent / experience he should be a decent G-Leauger if he's still in good shape.  I much prefer the GoGo adding reclamation project big men instead of guards or wings that could be taking away playing time from Goodwin.

Littlebill likes this

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Any NBA team can now sign Goodwin.  Since he isn't on a two-way contract and isn't on an assigned NBA contract, he is technically property of the league and not the Wizards.

Can another team sign him to a 10 day deal or would only the Wizards be able to do that?  If he is able to sign a 10 day deal with another team, would he return to the GoGo after that deal is up and still get his Exhibit 10 bonus? 

billiken_roy likes this

50 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Greg Monroe's problem is that he's a 6-11, 260 lb center who isn't an great rim protector on defense and can't stretch the floor at all on offense (1/17 career from 3 in 9 seasons).  Not much room for those guys in the modern NBA.

Given his size / talent / experience he should be a decent G-Leauger if he's still in good shape.  I much prefer the GoGo adding reclamation project big men instead of guards or wings that could be taking away playing time from Goodwin.

Exactly. I see it as a piece that can be an immediate contributor without getting in JG's way. A complement but not a competitor. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Can another team sign him to a 10 day deal or would only the Wizards be able to do that?  If he is able to sign a 10 day deal with another team, would he return to the GoGo after that deal is up and still get his Exhibit 10 bonus? 

I am not sure how the bonus is impacted by a ten day contract.

I have never seen one of the contracts signed by players but I am sure they are well provided with fine print clauses designed to protect the team. These are contracts that most likely, unless you are an exceptional player they really want to have, provide very little wiggle room, the player either signs the contract or not.

24 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I have never seen one of the contracts signed by players but I am sure they are well provided with fine print clauses designed to protect the team. These are contracts that most likely, unless you are an exceptional player they really want to have, provide very little wiggle room, the player either signs the contract or not.

Thank you for this

12 hours ago, brianstl said:

Assume he's making money? He seems to  have shown more than Bess did first year out.

19 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

$7k/month, free housing, and up to $50k bonus if he sticks for 60 days 

That type of money in the states is way better than playing overseas IMO. Can't wait till he makes the big leagues though, averaging 30ppg seems like the way to do it. 

21 hours ago, Old guy said:

Blue font? 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Wow. What a change is his midrange game. A board and a bucket right between 2 players both at least 4-5 inches taller than him and then a 3 from downtown that looked as effortless and smooth as we've ever seen him shoot. Kudos to JGood for putting in the work. He looks really good

BilliesBy40 likes this