Primer on the Wizards and Goodwin's NBA chances

thetorch

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

didnt understand the wizards not playing goodwin much yesterday.   the game before he was imo the player of the game for the wizards, then they more or less bench him only giving him time in the garbage minutes.   imo jordan needs to find a different team.  with beal and now johnny davis both obviously ahead of him, his future as the off guard are not bright.  

47 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

didnt understand the wizards not playing goodwin much yesterday.   the game before he was imo the player of the game for the wizards, then they more or less bench him only giving him time in the garbage minutes.   imo jordan needs to find a different team.  with beal and now johnny davis both obviously ahead of him, his future as the off guard are not bright.  

Iirc on how last summers league went, players seem to rotate games where they play a lot, just to give everyone a fair chance. Not based off who is hot/performances 

3star_recruit likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Iirc on how last summers league went, players seem to rotate games where they play a lot, just to give everyone a fair chance. Not based off who is hot/performances 

Yes on what wgstl said. It’s not about winning these summer games. It’s about finding out what each player can bring and how they can adapt to the physicality of the NBA. The Wiz know what they have in Goodwin. They really don’t need to see him in four games with heavy minutes. 
For me, that the Wiz only invited four from last season’s Go Go’s is a good sign for Goodwin. 

10 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Yeah.  I watched most of the game yesterday.  It seemed weird to me as well.  The Wizards have Monte Morris,  Beal, Delonte Wright and the rookie Davis.  They probably bring in one more guard.  It would be nice to see if Goodwin and Davis can play off of each other

Side note:  I see Jericole Hellems and Bryton Hobbs (good friend of Tatum) are on the Celtics Summer League team roster.

Xavier Sneed playing for the Utah Jazz

CBFan likes this

51 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34233407/new-orleans-pelicans-draft-pick-ej-liddell-suffers-torn-acl-right-knee-indefinitely

This is really unfortunate, was really looking forward to seeing what he could do this year. Wish him a speedy recovery. 

It is horrible, but posting that in this thread will probably give someone a heart attack about Goodwin. :)

tough break for EJ.   i watched the game.   ironically if he wasnt such an amazing leaper, he probably doesnt even try to catch that pass and be the bad landing position.    man.  now dropping down the second round really hurts.   probably will be lucky to get a g league contract now.   goes to show you, just like perkins, you never know when that will happen and you really need to think about when you take the money and run.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

tough break for EJ.   i watched the game.   ironically if he wasnt such an amazing leaper, he probably doesnt even try to catch that pass and be the bad landing position.    man.  now dropping down the second round really hurts.   probably will be lucky to get a g league contract now.   goes to show you, just like perkins, you never know when that will happen and you really need to think about when you take the money and run.

Also shows folks that dominating the Big10 doesn't guarantee the draft spot you are hoping for.  I wonder whether dominating the A10 would have made him a 1st round pick.

SLU_Nick likes this

That is totally correct. Things happen when they are not expected and screw up all the statistics. From the moment of the  injury until the player is back in play you (plural) just cannot predict what you are dealing with.

On 7/13/2022 at 12:27 PM, cgeldmacher said:

Also shows folks that dominating the Big10 doesn't guarantee the draft spot you are hoping for.  I wonder whether dominating the A10 would have made him a 1st round pick.

No. The NBA cares about measurables and potential. It shows that there is no guarantee from the Power 5, which is an implicit nod to conferences like the A10.

8 hours ago, GoSluBills said:

He finished with 19 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 assists. Classic Goodwin stat line! 

Seems like he's building a good case to be up in the Association most of the season even if he gets inconsistent playing time.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Goodwin has signed another Exhibit 10 contract. Will get another training camp invite.

explain again please what an exhibit 10 contract is and guarantees and restricts Jordan by signing.

thanks Torch.

explain again please what an exhibit 10 contract is and guarantees and restricts Jordan by signing.

Google is your friend.

An Exhibit 10 contract is a one-year, minimum salary NBA contract. The deal has a particular Exhibit 10 attached to it and no bonuses come along with it. This attachment is included in the contract after both the sides (team and the player) have agreed to it.

An Exhibit 10 contract gives a franchise the flexibility to convert it into a two-way deal, but the team has to ensure that it happens before the commencement of the regular season. Exhibit 10 deals are usually non-guaranteed, which means the team can waive the player and get the cap hit off their payroll.

ALSO, each NBA team can carry 20 players on the roster in off season.  They have to be down to 15 by the regular season.  Goodwin is on the Wizards 20 player roster. Nine of the 20 are listed as guards.   https://www.nba.com/wizards/roster

slufanskip likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

thanks Torch.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Google is your friend.

An Exhibit 10 contract is a one-year, minimum salary NBA contract. The deal has a particular Exhibit 10 attached to it and no bonuses come along with it. This attachment is included in the contract after both the sides (team and the player) have agreed to it.

An Exhibit 10 contract gives a franchise the flexibility to convert it into a two-way deal, but the team has to ensure that it happens before the commencement of the regular season. Exhibit 10 deals are usually non-guaranteed, which means the team can waive the player and get the cap hit off their payroll.

ALSO, each NBA team can carry 20 players on the roster in off season.  They have to be down to 15 by the regular season.  Goodwin is on the Wizards 20 player roster. Nine of the 20 are listed as guards.   https://www.nba.com/wizards/roster

Important aspect of an exhibit 10 deal that I don't see above is that they typically involve a $50k bonus for the player if they stay with the team's G-League affiliate.  Goodwin had the same deal last season.

My understanding of Goodwin signing an exhibit 10 means:

• he's guaranteed a spot in the Wizard's training camp
  • if he makes the regular roster, he's on a minimum salary deal
  • the Wizards could convert it to a two-way contract (they still have 1 two-way spot open)
    • Two-way means Goodwin would split time between NBA & G-League with certain restrictions on how much NBA time he can play
  • if he gets waived, he gets a $50k bonus to stay with the Wizards G-League team for a certain amount of time.

Since he signed the same deal as last year, he's basically in the same spot.  I think he has a better shot at a two-way spot though after playing well in the G-League last season.

Billiken Rich likes this

19 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Wizards have upgraded at the guard positions from last year.

Goodwin isn't really competing with Beal, Monte Morris or any of the other guards the Wizards have on guaranteed contracts for a roster spot though.

I believe the Wizards have a full roster of 15 guys on guaranteed contracts.  There could be some kind of shake up with that, but realistically Goodwin is hoping to land the 1 open 2-way contract the Wizards have (his G-League teammate for a good chunk of last season Jordan Schakel has the other one).

For that spot he's most directly competing with their other non-guaranteed exhibit-10 contract training camp invitees Makur Maker, Quenton Jackson, and Davion Mintz.

Maker is a 21 year old raw 6-11 forward/center.  He was a highly rated recruit in the 2020 class who chose Howawrd.  He played just 2 games for Howard in 2020-21 & sat out the rest of the season with a groin injury.  He then played in Australia for the Sydney Kings in 2021-22 before going undrafted in the 2022 draft.  He is related to former 1st round pick Thon Maker.  Seems like a choice of Maker / Goodwin for that final spot would be more of a philosophical one than performance based (raw big guy vs relatively polished guard).

Jackson is a 24 year old 6-5 guard who played 3 season for Texas A&M.  Fairly pedestrian numbers in college overall 33% from 3, 11.9 ppg, no other stats that jump out at me.

Mintz is a 24 year old 6-3 guard who played 3 seasons at Creighton and 2 at Kentucky.  Again, he didn't have eye popping numbers.  Career 35.6% from 3, 7.8 points per game.  No stats jumping out.

Goodwin is still just 23 and is 6-3.  IMO he'd be in a similar boat to Jackson or Mintz if he chose to do a 5th year at SLU.  Instead he left, showed himself to be one of the better players in the G League and got a cup of coffee with the Wizards.  Jackson & Mintz look like better 3 point shooters though none are snipers.  They don't seem to have the ballhandling chops nor rebounding tenacity of Goodwin.

I hope Goodwin can earn that 2nd two-way spot.  It seems plausible that he could (although there certainly could be more roster shakeup that makes it more difficult).

And of course Goodwin could always get traded / signed to a 2-way spot by another team as well.

David King and DOC like this

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Goodwin isn't really competing with Beal, Monte Morris or any of the other guards the Wizards have on guaranteed contracts for a roster spot though.

I believe the Wizards have a full roster of 15 guys on guaranteed contracts.  There could be some kind of shake up with that, but realistically Goodwin is hoping to land the 1 open 2-way contract the Wizards have (his G-League teammate for a good chunk of last season Jordan Schakel has the other one).

For that spot he's most directly competing with their other non-guaranteed exhibit-10 contract training camp invitees Makur Maker, Quenton Jackson, and Davion Mintz.

Maker is a 21 year old raw 6-11 forward/center.  He was a highly rated recruit in the 2020 class who chose Howawrd.  He played just 2 games for Howard in 2020-21 & sat out the rest of the season with a groin injury.  He then played in Australia for the Sydney Kings in 2021-22 before going undrafted in the 2022 draft.  He is related to former 1st round pick Thon Maker.  Seems like a choice of Maker / Goodwin for that final spot would be more of a philosophical one than performance based (raw big guy vs relatively polished guard).

Jackson is a 24 year old 6-5 guard who played 3 season for Texas A&M.  Fairly pedestrian numbers in college overall 33% from 3, 11.9 ppg, no other stats that jump out at me.

Mintz is a 24 year old 6-3 guard who played 3 seasons at Creighton and 2 at Kentucky.  Again, he didn't have eye popping numbers.  Career 35.6% from 3, 7.8 points per game.  No stats jumping out.

Goodwin is still just 23 and is 6-3.  IMO he'd be in a similar boat to Jackson or Mintz if he chose to do a 5th year at SLU.  Instead he left, showed himself to be one of the better players in the G League and got a cup of coffee with the Wizards.  Jackson & Mintz look like better 3 point shooters though none are snipers.  They don't seem to have the ballhandling chops nor rebounding tenacity of Goodwin.

I hope Goodwin can earn that 2nd two-way spot.  It seems plausible that he could (although there certainly could be more roster shakeup that makes it more difficult).

And of course Goodwin could always get traded / signed to a 2-way spot by another team as well.

Thanks for the insight. I hope something works out for him to play in the NBA, if not the Wizards, then someone else