Primer on the Wizards and Goodwin's NBA chances

thetorch

gotta start to wonder how long before someone gives him a chance.    by looking at the team stats, he seems to be the no doubt best player on the team. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/19/2021 at 10:15 AM, billiken_roy said:

gotta start to wonder how long before someone gives him a chance.    by looking at the team stats, he seems to be the no doubt best player on the team. 

He has a lot of interest from teams Overseas but he's waiting it out for the moment.

45 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Jordan Goodwin shooting 91% from the free throw line after 6 games?  Who IS this man?

The same man he was before. Goodwin had no valid competition or need for improvement while he was a Bill, now that he is in the G league he has to improve a lot if he is to be recruited into the NBA, and that is exactly what he is doing. Goodwin had a lot of talent that was never used before, well, he is starting to use it now that he needs it to reach his goal.

45 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The same man he was before. Goodwin had no valid competition or need for improvement while he was a Bill, now that he is in the G league he has to improve a lot if he is to be recruited into the NBA, and that is exactly what he is doing. Goodwin had a lot of talent that was never used before, well, he is starting to use it now that he needs it to reach his goal.

Well if you are correct then why didn't he use all his talent when he was here so he would have been drafted and not have to go through this.  My guess is he doing nothing but basketball so he can devote a lot more time to his total game.

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well if you are correct then why didn't he use all his talent when he was here so he would have been drafted and not have to go through this.  My guess is he doing nothing but basketball so he can devote a lot more time to his total game.

He also has different coaches. That may or may not have helped him, but it is a variable. 

9 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I would say that he may have felt he did not need to do it in order to get drafted.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

Goodwin had no valid competition or need for improvement while he was a Bill.... Goodwin had a lot of talent that was never used before, well, he is starting to use it now that he needs it to reach his goal.

That's off base. Goodwin wanted to win and worked really hard to do so. He's not some kid who skated by on his talent waiting for some worthy challenge to come along down the road. 

rgbilliken, slufanskip and Zink like this

27 minutes ago, Compton said:

That's off base. Goodwin wanted to win and worked really hard to do so. He's not some kid who skated by on his talent waiting for some worthy challenge to come along down the road. 

Ever heard the concept of "overkill." This is not a put down on Goodwin, it is only saying that he had no valid competition within the Bills. When you are the lead dog in the sled, you can enjoy the scenery. This does not mean he was lazy or anything like it.

11 hours ago, Old guy said:

When you are the lead dog in the sled, you can enjoy the scenery.

Yeah, I think you're wrong there. Goodwin saw the scenery and wanted to do whatever he could to add top 25 rankings, A10 championships, NCAA bids, and NCAA wins to it. To torture your analogy, a good lead dog doesn't enjoy the scenery, it runs even harder to push the rest of the pack. That's Goodwin. 

slufanskip likes this

I never raced dogs and do not know how dogs think or act, do you? Goodwin pushed enough playing for SLU to become the uncontested top player for the team. He is now in a situation where he is not top dog and that provides him with an incentive to become the one. Moreover his dream has always been the NBA and that provides even more incentive to him. Tell me what incentive did he have at SLU to play like he is playing now?

Take Hasahn, he is playing in Slovenia or the Czech league. I think and he is dominating the court and all players just by being Hasahn and being physical. Has he improved his FT shooting? I do not think so, but he appears to be top dog in that team and maybe the league, they have problems stopping him. Do you think Hasahn is likely to improve his FT shooting in his current situation?

I see it, what you say can provide motivation. However, the fact is that he did what he did at SLU, and that he is improving his game by leaps and bounds in the G league. It may be a matter of who he is playing with and against, it may be a matter of the coaching he is receiving now, and it may also be a matter of his internal motivation. It does not really matter what the cause of the improvement is, he is playing a lot better now than he did at SLU.

15 minutes ago, Compton said:

Yeah, I think you're wrong there. Goodwin saw the scenery and wanted to do whatever he could to add top 25 rankings, A10 championships, NCAA bids, and NCAA wins to it. To torture your analogy, a good lead dog doesn't enjoy the scenery, it runs even harder to push the rest of the pack. That's Goodwin. 

And we were on the path to do all of that before the month-long COVID pause last season, even with Goodwin struggling from the foul line.  He tried his best, having to navigate Situation 2, the Carteare Gordon saga, COVID and the tragic loss of Ford Stuen.  Life ain't fair.  

I am sorry Old Guy I think you are doing a hatchet job on Goodwin now that he is gone.  Show me a post from when he was here where you said he was coasting.  In my opinion he simply has more time and is getting more individual attention now and he is taking advantage of it.  To suggest that Goodwin wanted to go to the G League and not get drafted is silly.  Nobody would take that route.  He played hurt and played hard when he was here.  After all, he was highly recruited by he was not a top 10 or 20 player coming out of high school.

This is such a bizarre argument. There are certainly weaknesses in Goodwin's game but working hard was not even close to being one of them. He is famously an extremely hard worker. He's also not stupid. To suggest that he only just now figured out he needs to work on FT shooting is absurd.

26 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

This is such a bizarre argument. There are certainly weaknesses in Goodwin's game but working hard was not even close to being one of them. He is famously an extremely hard worker. He's also not stupid. To suggest that he only just now figured out he needs to work on FT shooting is absurd.

-yep, thanks for this

28 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am sorry Old Guy I think you are doing a hatchet job on Goodwin now that he is gone.  Show me a post from when he was here where you said he was coasting.  In my opinion he simply has more time and is getting more individual attention now and he is taking advantage of it.  To suggest that Goodwin wanted to go to the G League and not get drafted is silly.  Nobody would take that route.  He played hurt and played hard when he was here.  After all, he was highly recruited by he was not a top 10 or 20 player coming out of high school.

I am not suggesting he wanted to go to the G league over the NBA. He really wanted to be drafted by the NBA he went to the G league because he (and this is my assumption) thought it would be easier to get into the NBA from the G league instead of foreign leagues. Now Goodwin worked hard in SLU, and probably thought he had a chance of being drafted after the summer prior to  his last season here. This did not happen. They chose others to draft and offered him a spot in the G league.

Goodwin was wrong in his estimate that he had what it took to be drafted into the NBA. He knows he has a chance to go to the NBA from the G league and is doing all he can to make it happen. I am not putting Goodwin down, I am merely saying that he was wrong thinking he had what it took to be drafted by the NBA, and now he is in the process of fixing things. Goodwin is making lemonade out of the lemons he actually got. He could have chosen to go foreign and make more money but he wants the NBA and is focused on it.

28 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I am not suggesting he wanted to go to the G league over the NBA. He really wanted to be drafted by the NBA he went to the G league because he (and this is my assumption) thought it would be easier to get into the NBA from the G league instead of foreign leagues. Now Goodwin worked hard in SLU, and probably thought he had a chance of being drafted after the summer prior to  his last season here. This did not happen. They chose others to draft and offered him a spot in the G league.

Goodwin was wrong in his estimate that he had what it took to be drafted into the NBA. He knows he has a chance to go to the NBA from the G league and is doing all he can to make it happen. I am not putting Goodwin down, I am merely saying that he was wrong thinking he had what it took to be drafted by the NBA, and now he is in the process of fixing things. Goodwin is making lemonade out of the lemons he actually got. He could have chosen to go foreign and make more money but he wants the NBA and is focused on it.

I'm so sorry but I have to respond to this. This is the weirdest take.

You really think that:

A.) Goodwin was too thick to understand his chances were marginal and he needed to do everything in his power to improve on the margins?

B.) If the above is true and he didn't understand his chances were marginal, no one told him? Not Ford, not NBA scouts when he declared for the draft in 2020? Not a google search of "6'3" NBA guard with 64% FT shooting" coming up empty? 

Someone who has been considered by many to be a close comp for Goodwin is Marcus Smart. Hard working guy, not a tall guy, and not a great shooter at <30% from 3. Even Smart shoots 76% from the stripe.

There are 3 NBA PGs with <70% FT shooting, with the lowest at ~67%. All 3 guys below 70% FT are averaging >8 rebounds and >8 assists. Two of those guys are Luka and Westbrook....they are bringing enough to the table that mediocre FT shooting can be overlooked. To state the obvious: as much as I love Goodwin he is not Luka Doncic. 

I guarantee Goodwin was aware of all of this. These guys eat, sleep, and breathe basketball. They all follow the NBA closely. If it was Goodwin's goal to make an NBA roster you really don't think he would have made it his business to improve his game to get there? I don't understand how you can really think Goodwin was so oblivious as to not understand the above. It's not confusing.

RUBillsFan likes this

38 minutes ago, Old guy said:

from this paragraph old guy i have to assume you know jordan personally and have discussed all this.   Otherwise you are making a lot of assumptions imo that arent very fair.