Primer on the Wizards and Goodwin's NBA chances

thetorch

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

It’s funny that the Wizards signed the guy the Lakers waived and the Lakers signed the guy the Wiz waived (Huff).

I think if Goodwin continues to improve his 3 point shot, he may get another shot. 

Loved Goodwin as a Billiken, but after watching him for 4 years, I do not see much of a chance his 3 or shot will improve even to a mediocre level by NBA standards.  Some things you just can't teach, you got it or you don't.  He's going to make it or not on his other skills. 

24 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Loved Goodwin as a Billiken, but after watching him for 4 years, I do not see much of a chance his 3 or shot will improve even to a mediocre level by NBA standards.  Some things you just can't teach, you got it or you don't.  He's going to make it or not on his other skills. 

I am not disagreeing with you but Marcus Smart is a career 32% three shooter in the NBA. His best year was 36%. 

billiken_roy likes this

58 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Goodwin's % improved every year at SLU.  Without having to deal with schoolwork, he has much more time to work on his shot now.  I'm not saying it is likely, but I don't think it is out of the question that he might improve enough to be passable in the NBA.

2 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

It’s funny that the Wizards signed the guy the Lakers waived and the Lakers signed the guy the Wiz waived (Huff).

I think if Goodwin continues to improve his 3 point shot, he may get another shot. 

That's kinda wild.  Because he was in competition with Goodiwn, I followed Huff during summer league and preseason as well.  I wasn't impressed at all with him.  I guess "you can't teach height" as they always say.

any word on goodwin's whereabouts since the wizards cut him?   thought we would have heard something since.   i tried to google him and nothing recent shows.  

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

any word on goodwin's whereabouts since the wizards cut him?   thought we would have heard something since.   i tried to google him and nothing recent shows.  

He'll be playing with the Wizard's G-League affiliate, the Capital City Go-Gos.  The exhibit 10 deal he signed means that he gets a big bonus if he stays with the G-League for 60 days.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

He'll be playing with the Wizard's G-League affiliate, the Capital City Go-Gos.  The exhibit 10 deal he signed means that he gets a big bonus if he stays with the G-League for 60 days.

The roster on the Go-Gos website still says "coming soon" which is because the G-League draft hasn't happened yet.  G-League draft is for guys who aren't already affiliated with a team, so Goodwin isn't part of the draft.

G-League draft is 10/23.  Training camps run 10/25 to 11/4.  https://gleague.nba.com/key-dates/

Go-Gos first game is 11/5.  https://capitalcity.gleague.nba.com/schedule/

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Not exactly news, but Goodwin is on the Capital City GoGo's training camp roster:

https://capitalcity.gleague.nba.com/news/go-go-announce-training-camp-roster/

All guards on that roster.

Hope Goodwins skillet doesn't pigeonhole him into playing a different position and lose development time.

Bills By 40 and RUBillsFan like this

14 minutes ago, thetorch said:

All guards on that roster.

Hope Goodwins skillet doesn't pigeonhole him into playing a different position and lose development time.

Oh man, good observation.  I didn't know much about any of the other guys on the roster.  Really weird they'd load up so heavy on guards and wings with only Jamie Echenique (6'11") as the only player above 6'7".  I have to imagine there will be more movement to balance out the roster as training camp goes on, but don't follow G-League close enough to know for sure.

I'd like Goodwin to be the primary ball-handler & a key offensive piece for his development.  On the bright side, I actually think he'll be able to showcase his skills that will be able to make an impact for an NBA team better on a roster with a bunch of smaller guys.  Goodwin can be a Bruce Brown type undersized big on this roster.  If he can prove he can defend up & down the roster, grab rebounds, and be a good secondary playmaker hopefully that impresses NBA teams enough to give him a shot in that role.