Primer on the Wizards and Goodwin's NBA chances

thetorch

Goodwin played 5 minutes, took 4 shots, made 2.  Had 1 board and that was it.  He did play more than the players he competing against.  Echineque, Huff, and Schakel.  Here is a video recap of the game.  Go to 8:35 to see Goodwin hitting a nice pull up from 20 feet with a hand in his face.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Haven’t seen highlights so, FWIW, the box score shows JGood with 5 mins. of action, going 2-4 from the floor, 0-1 from the arc, with 4 points and 1 board. Only 2 players played fewer mins., one of them a big, and one was Miles McBride, a 6’1 guard from WVU.

Um.  I think you're reading that box score wrong.  Miles McBride is with the Knicks.

If I'm reading into this correctly, Goodwin is essentially competing with Jamie Echenique, Jay Huff, and Jordan Schakel for the the Wizard's 2nd two-way contract.

Against the Knicks Goodwin the most minutes of that group though just barely (Goodwin - 5, Echenique - 4, Huff & Schakel - 3).  In the first game vs the Rockets, Echenique led with 10 minutes, Goodwin had 9, Schakel 7 and Huff 3.

My totally uninformed take is that Echenique is the main competition for that two-way spot.  He seemed to play well in summer league too.  He is a big man 6'11", so it could be case of where the Wizards see a need.  Schakel is 6'6" wing.  Huff is another big 7'1" seems like he's behind the others, but who knows.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

On the positive side, he has, by my calculations, 13 points in 14 minutes of playing time.  Hopefully, the Wizard's coaching staff sees the efficiency he produces.

Scoring is nice, but I've been a little disappointed he hasn't gotten any steals or assists and very few (2) rebounds during his 14 minutes.  IMO, Goodwin's primary role in the NBA won't be a scorer.  He needs to show that his stat stuffing all-around game as a defender, play-maker, and rebounder will absolutely translate from college while also showing he can shoot enough to keep teams honest.  He did show more of that part of his game as he led Summer League in steals while dishing out a decent amount of assists.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Scoring is nice, but I've been a little disappointed he hasn't gotten any steals or assists and very few (2) rebounds during his 14 minutes.  IMO, Goodwin's primary role in the NBA won't be a scorer.  He needs to show that his stat stuffing all-around game as a defender, play-maker, and rebounder will absolutely translate from college while also showing he can shoot enough to keep teams honest.  He did show more of that part of his game as he led Summer League in steals while dishing out a decent amount of assists.

just a guess but i would bet the Wizards told him they know he does all those other things but they wanted to see some sort of offense capability.   thus the pre-season goodwin we are seeing.   

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

While exhibition games are very important, no team will make a player evaluation based solely on the 15-20 min of action.  Practices are also important, and we have no idea how well Mr Goodwin performs in those sessions. 

Practice you talkin bout Practice?

Wizards lose again.  0-3 now in the preseason.  Goodwin “only” got 3 minutes this game and didn’t put it any other stats if ESPN apps box score can be trusted.  At one point when I checked Goodwin was credited with a block, but that has since gone away.  Echenique, Schakel, and Huff all took “DNP-coaches decision”, so JGood’s 3 minutes actually looks like a positive.

billiken_roy and SLU_Nick like this

Watched the Goodwin mins against the raptors.  Last 3 mins if game. He seems to be the only one on the entire roster that plays any defense at all. He had one very good one on one defensive lock up that could have been a foul but it was not.  He played within himself and I thought he helped his cause tonight. 

One thing that’s funny is He crashes the glass just like he did with us…but then is about 7 inches shorter than everyone in the paint so he can’t grab it lol 

good showing overall.  

my takeaway after looking at the box score is that only 13 played and goodwin was one of the 13.  so regardless of his points, he is being noticed obviously and given a chance.   i will continue to hope and pray for him.      

40 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

I wonder if there was a bit of 'showcasing' involved.  Knowing he won't make the team, the Wizards are giving scouts a chance to look at Goodwin.  I don't know that three minutes can't tell you much, though.  

I hope not, but the thought did cross my mind.  

I think a lot has to do with it being a close game, and waiting till the last possible minute to see how the main core of guys do in that crunch time. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think a lot has to do with it being a close game, and waiting till the last possible minute to see how the main core of guys do in that crunch time. 

Unseld has been sending in his bench during the last 3 to 7 minutes of each exhibition game.  This Raptors' game was maybe the latest he sent them in.

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Unseld has been sending in his bench during the last 3 to 7 minutes of each exhibition game.  This Raptors' game was maybe the latest he sent them in.

Right, but at some point he has to see what he has with his main players down the stretch of a close game.  Last night felt more like that. 

They only have one more preseason game left, may have thought he wouldn't get this chance again, especially considering all the new faces. 

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Huff and Schakel are out.  Looks like it’s down to Goodwin & Echenique for that 2-way deal.

Echenique plays in the paint.  Some of their decision may revolve around Bryant's status. Chase Hughes: Wizards GM Tommy Sheppard says Thomas Bryant will return “sometime in December” from his ACL injury.

Goodwin is one out of two to chose from. At this stage of the game, we know there are ways in which either one of these two play that fits their needs. I think the choice will depend upon the team's issues with players and injuries and less upon the way they play.