Primer on the Wizards and Goodwin's NBA chances

thetorch

7 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Well sh*t.  This isn’t a positive for Goodwin getting a 2 way deal.  Wizards signed Cassius Winston to one of their 2 way deals.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/08/wizards-re-sign-winston-on-two-way-deal.html#ref=home

You already pointed out that Winston was one of the handful of guys he was competing with.  Winston is a former All-American point guard.  This isn't a surprise.  The question is do the Wizards go for another guard?

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

A567933F-030F-4D19-8068-7758BB10DDF5.thumb.png.f15be12132be96357ac258d3c5919d2d.pngThe website Hoops Hype has Jordan listed as the 3rd SG. The yellow is non-guaranteed. Purple is two way. No explanation on the rust color

Echineque had a strong summer league and earned an exhibit 10 contract.  Gafford's contract is non guaranteed due to a NBA union loophole.  He will get guaranteed in January.  He makes 1.7 million and is a projected starter.

7 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Echineque had a strong summer league and earned an exhibit 10 contract.  Gafford's contract is non guaranteed due to a NBA union loophole.  He will get guaranteed in January.  He makes 1.7 million and is a projected starter.

Yeah, I knew that on Gafford (not the loophole issue).  He started all their games last season but didn't light it up.  Bryant was out most of last season with an ACL.  He had been starting for the Wiz and has more game than Gafford.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah, I knew that on Gafford (not the loophole issue).  He started all their games last season but didn't light it up.  Bryant was out most of last season with an ACL.  He had been starting for the Wiz and has more game than Gafford.

Bryant can shoot but they love Gafford.  He's the only rim protector and defensive presence they have. Plus he'll be cheap for 2-3 more years.

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Semi-related: I love that the Wizards' G-League team is called the Go-Go.  A nice hat tip to the city's musical heritage, and way more appropriate than naming the team after, say, Fugazi.  Although now that I think of it, that would be kind of cool too.

Always pulled for the Mad Ants.

HoosierPal likes this

20 hours ago, willie said:

No. It just mean he can go to training camp. He can still be cut but it is one more step forward. 

You are correct. 

If a player is on an Exhibit 10 contract with a particular team, it would allow him to participate in that franchise's training camp. The team will control that player's G League rights, and he is eligible to get $50,000 if he manages to spend 60+ days with the G-League affiliate. Signing a basketball athlete to an Exhibit 10 contract works out well for NBA teams, who hold the option to cut them or include them in the roster if they play well.

J. Good just getting this far with the NBA has to help with some of the local recruits.  I'm pumped if he makes it I'll get out to a Wizards game.  Fun fact the only NBA game I've ever been to (regular season) was Wizards vs. Jazz in DC.  Just keep working and live right an opportunity will open up somebody will get arrested, hurt or not work as hard and bam you're on the next edition of NBA2K.

2 minutes ago, jonny karate said:

Did bess make it this far?

Yes.  Bess got an Exhibit 10 deal from the Pelicans and participated in training camp.  That's where Goodwin is now.  Bess then played 35 games for the G league affiliate, so I assume he got the extra bonus from the Exhibit 10 deal for time spent on the G league roster.

Goodwin appears to be in a better position than Bess ever was to actually make the NBA roster (likely via a 2 way contract).  He got a lot more run during summer league than Bess did.

2 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

20 players are at training camp, 15 players make the final roster.  Taking a look at the roster,  it is tough to envision 5 other players cut to leave Goodwin on the roster.  Obviously hope I am wrong.

I thought they got 15 plus two two way players.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

Wizards kick of the preseason schedule at Houston tomorrow.  

https://www.nba.com/wizards/wizards-announce-2021-preseason-schedule-090221

Cool to see that Goodwin has his own player page on the Wizard's roster:

https://www.nba.com/player/1630692/jordan-goodwin

Not so cool: they have his "last attended" as "Missouri-St. Louis"

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

FYI

Wizards kick of the preseason schedule at Houston tomorrow.  

https://www.nba.com/wizards/wizards-announce-2021-preseason-schedule-090221

Cool to see that Goodwin has his own player page on the Wizard's roster:

https://www.nba.com/player/1630692/jordan-goodwin

Not so cool: they have his "last attended" as "Missouri-St. Louis"

Someone should let Jordan know this.  I bet he would have them correct it.