Primer on the Wizards and Goodwin's NBA chances

thetorch

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only guy making the full NBA roster is Kispert and he won't be doing that on output unless he really picks that end of it up.  

There seems to be one guy per team from what I've seen ... Kispert for Washington, Mitchell for Sacramento, Thomas for the Spurs.  The rest is retread garbage it seems.

SLU_Nick likes this

29 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The only guy making the full NBA roster is Kispert and he won't be doing that on output unless he really picks that end of it up.  

Kispert was a lottery pick.  He's making the NBA roster regardless of what his output is in summer league.  He could shoot 0 of 40 and still make it.

For context here here is Javon Bess stats from his summer league games

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Javon-Bess/Summary/79869

4 games, 0 starts, 5.5 mpg, 25% (1/4) FG, 0% (0/1) 3pt, 3 oReb, 6 dReb, 3 fouls, 1 turnover, 0s in everything else

Bess then went on to play for the Pelicans in the G league and put up there #s:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/b/bessja01d.html

35 games, 23 starts, 26.4 mpg, 34% (79/234) FG, 29% (45/153) 3pt, 2.8 reb/game, 1/5 ast/game, 0.7 stl/game, 6.9 ppg

While I wish he was getting more time (especially in this last game), so far Jordan has gotten way more run in summer league than Bess.  Regardless, Bess got a decent amount of run in the G League (especially considering IIRC he had some injury issues).  Based on everything, I think Goodwin's likely path toward the NBA goes through the G League which means summer league isn't really that important.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

There seems to be one guy per team from what I've seen ... Kispert for Washington, Mitchell for Sacramento, Thomas for the Spurs.  The rest is retread garbage it seems.

kispert has not looked good.   

goodwin has looked better than i expected actually.   like i said yesterday.   if the bigs were any good at all he probably has 7 more assists alone.   the up and under shot he made yesterday was nice.   and frankly he played harder on defense than anyone else yesterday and he still rebounds and goes for all the loose balls with abandon.   not saying i disagree no one but kispert is making the final roster.   and i agree kispert is maybe only going to make the roster because by the collective bargaining agreement as a first round pick he is guaranteed to make the roster.  the wizards have definitely not done a good job bringing in players for this summer look.   they obviously are not going to get inside help out of this crop.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

kispert has not looked good.   

goodwin has looked better than i expected actually.   like i said yesterday.   if the bigs were any good at all he probably has 7 more assists alone.   the up and under shot he made yesterday was nice.   and frankly he played harder on defense than anyone else yesterday and he still rebounds and goes for all the loose balls with abandon.   not saying i disagree no one but kispert is making the final roster.   and i agree kispert is maybe only going to make the roster because by the collective bargaining agreement as a first round pick he is guaranteed to make the roster.  the wizards have definitely not done a good job bringing in players for this summer look.   they obviously are not going to get inside help out of this crop.  

As I am sure a lot of you know, there are places that are well managed, there are places that are not. Nothing anyone can do about this.

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

This is very insightful Thank You

You can extend my quote by saying that agents should be aware (it is their profession after all) what teams are not well managed, and steer their clients away from them. But of course, "should happen" has a way of not happening at all. That should be obvious to all as well, correct? I can keep on going if you are interested. The next stage is what option, among the many available to the agent's client, results in the greatest income level for the agent or something like it. Agree?

What is best for the client is up to the client to determine by himself. Clients must take all advice with a fair measure of doubt in their mind. Is my thinking dark enough for you now?

The bigs are indeed awful but the guards aren't anything to write home about either.  That may be a part of the reason Goodwin's agent directed him this way to the Wiz.

13 hours ago, Taj79 said:

The bigs are indeed awful but the guards aren't anything to write home about either.  That may be a part of the reason Goodwin's agent directed him this way to the Wiz.

which is why i think goodwin has a chance.    right now i think kispert is the only survivor.  but if goodwin can start making some shots, his work ethic and rebounding and unselfishness might just earn him a spot.   i just hope he doesnt get down.   the barely 10 minutes PT Thursday had to be discouraging.  particularly considering he did just about everything right.   

would seem to me the wizards arent going to be looking for an end of the bench guard that can score.  they want the junkyard do a little bit of everything guy that goodwin seems to be at this level.   it will be interesting to see how it pans out for him.

9 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Wizards guaranteed Gill's contract for next year and just gave a contract to Isaiah Todd...that's 15 players

Deni Avdija

Beal

Dinwiddie 

Bertans 

T Bryant 

KCP

Gafford 

Gill

Hachimura

Montrez Harrell 

A Holiday

Kispert

Kuzma

Neto

I Todd

Still 2 2 way contracts up for grabs.  

Kyree Walker, has accepted an Exhibit 10 contract, with the Wizards.  Walker was early in his HS career the No 1 player in his class but left HS as a 4 star recruit.  He chose to forgo playing in college or the G league in favor of working out privately over last season.

Thought Jordan looked better than anyone on the Wizards today.  7 points to go with 7 steals and he was probably the only one on the court consistently making the right play.  Hopefully the evaluators within realize this and give him a shot.

36 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Thought Jordan looked better than anyone on the Wizards today.  7 points to go with 7 steals and he was probably the only one on the court consistently making the right play.  Hopefully the evaluators within realize this and give him a shot.

I 2nd this.  I have no idea if he is going to make it, but I think he has a better shot than a guy like Caleb Holmesly who leads the team in points shooting 16 shots a game.  His defense and making the right play was evident today and he Kispert and JGood were the only people who looked like they were playing more than playground ball..... but I am admittedly in no way objective at all. 

RUBillsFan and rgbilliken like this