Primer on the Wizards and Goodwin's NBA chances

thetorch

8 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

3-13…yuck.  Good thing If he is ever in the court with Beal, Dinwiddie or Bertans,  he won’t be allowed to look at the basket unless it’s an uncontested lay up.  😂

Also important to note that Goodwin was often guarded by Davion Mitchell (Baylor) who showed last season & during the NCAA championship run that he's a really tough defender.

Some folks may also remember that Goodwin went 0-12 in his first ever SLU game (and 1-18 over his first 2 games).

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Also important to note that Goodwin was often guarded by Davion Mitchell (Butler) who showed last season & during the NCAA championship run that he's a really tough defender.

Some folks may also remember that Goodwin went 0-12 in his first ever SLU game (and 1-18 over his first 2 games).

For reference here is Davion Mitchell guarding someone during his 1st summer league game:

57 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Also important to note that Goodwin was often guarded by Davion Mitchell (Butler) who showed last season & during the NCAA championship run that he's a really tough defender.

Baylor

yes he did not shoot well.   particularly frustrating all the bunnies he missed imo.   however he did everything else well.   i think the box score screwed him out of 3 or 4 rebounds as well.   

i thought he handled the ball adequately, he played decent defense and of course he was the best rebounder on the floor.   

the last couple of minutes of the game he was the best player on the floor of course the game was over, but one would think those in the game would all be playing all out to try to earn spots.   so all in all goodwin had a good night imo.  

rgbilliken likes this

Watched the first half.  Most NBA basketball I've seen in a decade.  What a mess ---- whoever said 60 guys trying out for 12 spots was right on.  Davion Mitchell looked most composed but even he was helter-skelter.  WHen I quit viewing, Jordan had like 3 rebounds, one assist, one turnover and two points.  I thought he looked somewhat timid but whatever that was on that floor was not basketball.  Went to bed at half, it was so bad.

Surprised this morning to see Jordan's final stat line.  Still nto surprised he couldn't/didn't shoot from distance.  Seemed to be forcing that in the first half with whatever two or three shots he got off.  Thought his passing was his best attribute and there were at least three assists blown away by Wiz players missing layups.  

Like I said, only saw a half but didn't see much that stuck out for me.

he did make all six of his free throws.  appeared to be a new form.   so he has apparently learned something this summer.

SLU_Nick likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

One thing that really stands out, that wasn't much of an issue in college due to his strength, is that he's a step slower then most in the NBA. 

Unfortunately I agree. He couldn’t stay with Mitchell in first five minutes of the game. I trust he will make adjustments for the next game. 

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

yes he did not shoot well.   particularly frustrating all the bunnies he missed imo.   however he did everything else well.   i think the box score screwed him out of 3 or 4 rebounds as well.   

i thought he handled the ball adequately, he played decent defense and of course he was the best rebounder on the floor.   

the last couple of minutes of the game he was the best player on the floor of course the game was over, but one would think those in the game would all be playing all out to try to earn spots.   so all in all goodwin had a good night imo.  

I also saw multiple plays that should've been assists but guys missed wide open shots.

Box and Won likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

One thing that really stands out, that wasn't much of an issue in college due to his strength, is that he's a step slower then most in the NBA. 

Goodwin is not a plus athlete, certainly not by NBA standards. He's always been a blue collar, over-achiever. When you are not an elite athlete and a below average shooter, that's a tough combination to overcome to make it in the NBA.

almaman likes this

13 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I think it's probably best to wait and see what his role will be when the missing players return.

Missing players might not even return until summer league is over on 8/17.  I think they have a 10 day quarantine.

Probably sort of fortunate for Goodwin because he may get more minutes& play a bigger role than he otherwise would have.

It's just one game, but I thought Kispert looked pretty bad.  He did shoot 2/5 (40%) from 3, but seemed a little bit hesitant to shoot.  It looked to me like he was sometimes passing up a 3 trying to show he could drive & score in the mid-range or at the time.  He was just 1 of 4 on shots inside the arc and 2 turnovers.  He was a team low -18.

As a 1st rounder, his spot is solid, so he doesn't necessarily need to show out.  I guess he could be trying to work the less well rounded aspects of his game, but I wasn't impressed.

Unfortunately, for Goodwin to flourish it would be better for Kispert to be just knocking down 3s & opening things up inside.

Box and Won likes this

I think Jordan's best chance to make the NBA squad is to show that he can rebound, defend, and, on the offensive side, drive and dish to guys on the three point line.  If he shows he can do those three things at the NBA level, I think he has a shot.  Plus, if he drives and dishes outside, he's in position for the offensive rebound.  If I were him and his agent, I would not be forcing up shots, as that will only draw attention to the parts of his game that aren't the most polished.

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think Jordan's best chance to make the NBA squad is to show that he can rebound, defend, and, on the offensive side, drive and dish to guys on the three point line.  If he shows he can do those three things at the NBA level, I think he has a shot.  Plus, if he drives and dishes outside, he's in position for the offensive rebound.  If I were him and his agent, I would not be forcing up shots, as that will only draw attention to the parts of his game that aren't the most polished.

For you NBA experts out there is there such a thing as a perimeter player in the league that can't shoot? I know there are bigs who can't shoot but how about wing players? 

38 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

i think of the outside shots goodwin took last night one might have been off balance pressured look.   the rest were pretty much wide open.   i will say he had very little trouble getting to the basket area.   he just didnt finish there.   one would think he will make more of those going forward.   i am sure the jitters were a little big of an effect last night.   i cant imagine playing my first nba game and the feelings and emotions that brought to him.   

42 minutes ago, willie said:

For you NBA experts out there is there such a thing as a perimeter player in the league that can't shoot? I know there are bigs who can't shoot but how about wing players? 

Bruce Brown on the Nets is a player I always think of as a good comp for Jordan. He is a 6'4" guard who doesn't shoot 3s but excelled as a cutter, offensive rebounder and defender.

Lu Dort is another guy who has really thrived despite having a reputation as a non-shooter.

In general, I don't think Jordan is athletic enough to make it in the league if he can't at least be a passable 3-point shooter. However, I think there are examples of guys with similar skillsets who have carved out a valuable role in the league. 

23 hours ago, NH said:

Bruce Brown on the Nets is a player I always think of as a good comp for Jordan. He is a 6'4" guard who doesn't shoot 3s but excelled as a cutter, offensive rebounder and defender.

Lu Dort is another guy who has really thrived despite having a reputation as a non-shooter.

In general, I don't think Jordan is athletic enough to make it in the league if he can't at least be a passable 3-point shooter. However, I think there are examples of guys with similar skillsets who have carved out a valuable role in the league. 

Andre Roberson comes to mind too, even though he is a little bit bigger than Goodwin

Another butt-ugly exhibition of helter-skelter basketball.  Again, I could only stomach a half but Goodwin was a non-entity.  Corey Kispert absolutely sucked as well.  Overall, as a team, the Wizards are dreadul so there is no hope of your teammates making you look good.

13 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Another butt-ugly exhibition of helter-skelter basketball.  Again, I could only stomach a half but Goodwin was a non-entity.  Corey Kispert absolutely sucked as well.  Overall, as a team, the Wizards are dreadul so there is no hope of your teammates making you look good.

LSU's Cam Thomas dropped 31 on high volume in the 3 point Brooklyn Nets win.  Different level, same result.  

Worst bigs.   The wizards summer league bigs are horrible goodwin's probably owed 7 or 8 assists because of their worthlessness.