Bradley Beal Elite

18 hours ago, brianstl said:

Congrats to Corey.

Not exactly sure how long Overtime Elite can survive paying high school age kids a minimum of $100,000 a year.

https://www.overtimeelite.com/facts

That’s more $$$ than the base G league salary…. Don’t know how that’s sustainable or scalable.

OTE seems to think they can generate a whole lot of NIL money off these players and share only a portion of it with them. I have my doubts that will work but maybe the shoe companies are already in bed with it.

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

OTE seems to think they can generate a whole lot of NIL money off these players and share only a portion of it with them. I have my doubts that will work but maybe the shoe companies are already in bed with it.

How much is really in it for the shoe companies without a school’s fan base wanting to buy the gear associated with the teams and players?  Shoe companies bankroll AAU programs in hopes of driving players to college programs they have deals with.  That is where the payoff comes for the shoe companies.  I just don’t see where the shoe companies make money off this.

I wonder if a talent management company isn’t behind this and if players won’t have to sign deals that lock them up with agents for a number of years.

Agents that handle kids in NIL deals cannot handle them in future/NBA contract issues.  That was stated in the NIL guidance.  Of course, that could change and guys could run deals behind that anyway.  I just don't see it happening, kids have no cachet for image sales.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Agents that handle kids in NIL deals cannot handle them in future/NBA contract issues.  That was stated in the NIL guidance.  Of course, that could change and guys could run deals behind that anyway.  I just don't see it happening, kids have no cachet for image sales.

You keep saying that but it isn't true. The NCAA cannot control which agents represent athletes in the pros, and the NFLPA/NBPA cannot control who agents represent in college. However, the NFLPA did issue guidance to agents that their representation of college athletes cannot require the athlete to use that agent in the pros. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nflpa-permits-nfl-agents-to-represent-college-football-players-in-nil-marketing-agreements-per-reports/

We'll agree to disagree.  What happens when a college kid currently signs with an agent?  I seem to recall they give up their collegiate eligibility at that point.  I have read that NIL agents cannot be the kids pro agents but I can't find the citation.  I still don't see where kids can cash in on their NIL without the college logo accompanying it.  And I find it even harder to comprehend some wet=behind-the-ears 16- or 17-year old having the cachet to do it as well.  I can't wait to see those OME guys making $100k per year.  Just don't see it.  Oh well, time will prove it out one way or the other.

14 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

We'll agree to disagree.  What happens when a college kid currently signs with an agent?  I seem to recall they give up their collegiate eligibility at that point.  I have read that NIL agents cannot be the kids pro agents but I can't find the citation.  I still don't see where kids can cash in on their NIL without the college logo accompanying it.  And I find it even harder to comprehend some wet=behind-the-ears 16- or 17-year old having the cachet to do it as well.  I can't wait to see those OME guys making $100k per year.  Just don't see it.  Oh well, time will prove it out one way or the other.

Did you foresee McBroom $$ back when that exploded?

50 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Did you read the article I linked? Here is another, and this one gives an example of an NFL agency representing a current Maryland player: https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/NLI-Maryland-Football-Dontay-Demus-Sports-Entertainment-Group-167533647/

Plus, the NCAA is prohibited from preventing players from hiring representation (for NIL purposes) in a handful of states:

http://sportsagentblog.com/2021/06/03/cheat-sheet-for-sports-agents-as-name-image-likeness-nil-goes-live-july-1/

The NCAA just scheduled a special constitutional convention in November to discuss restructuring its governance in response to all of these changes.
Regarding earning ability: It will depend on how big their social media following is. Athletes with a large following will make a lot.

I can read.  Here's a quote from the first article .... "Under new legislation, college athletes are allowed to retain professional help in negotiating monetary deals to use their name, image and likeness in commercial promotions, with the stipulation it can't be attached to future representation as professional athletes."  And here's another quote on the player(s) themselves, it is "unknown what the local demand for Maryland athletes will be" plus "they're not allowed to use any legal university marks in their promotion."  So that article takes me back to my original questions .... who is going to pay a relatively unknown kid gobs of money to endorse their product, service or restaurant?  As a business owner, I wouldn't.  But I've agreed to wait and see.  Plus, this article, while it makes mention of a UMd basketball player, it concentrates on UMd football players.  I really doubt they make any money to speak of in the DC area.  Ditto Baltimore.  Maryland football sucks, no one knows who the players are, and if I'm a DC business, I'm going with a WFT player long before some UMd guy.  And Baltimore is all Ravens and Orioles, even for as bad as the O's are right now.

I agree the NCAA should be prohibited from preventing players to sign with agents.  But your statement limits itself in "hiring representation for NIL purposes."  Kids should get the best advice and representation possible.  For that, I'd want someone savvy in negotiating skills, wouldn't you?  But then again, once the NIL stuff is done, these guys can't represent them when they all become the NBA first round draft picks.  That's the way I read it and that is fraught with land mines moving forward if you ask me.  

I don't get the whole media influencer thing so that is completely foreign to me.  And I don't care.  I kind of roll the other way .... if someone I don't care for endorses something, I'm likely to shy the other way or ignore it completely.  Anythign LeBron endorses, I don't buy.  Dramont Green pushing Subway is immaterial to me.  In my day, if Jayson Tatum was pushign Imo's, I'd still be going to Caleco's or Rossino's.  

Seriously, I can't wait for the end of the year tabulations of who on The Billikens made what and from whom.  I may be proven wrong in said beliefs.  

From your first article link it says  "Further, any NIL contracts entered into with college players by (an agent) should be wholly separate from any future ... services involving the negotiation of player contracts with NFL teams; for example, an NIL contract should not include any terms that require or condition any NIL terms on the player later hiring that (agent) for NFL contract services."  This, to me, separates the two and makes for two distinct agreements.  Will they overlap?  I bet they do and that's where the enforcement of such with loss of eligibility will become interesting, to say the least.

13 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

From your first article link it says  "Further, any NIL contracts entered into with college players by (an agent) should be wholly separate from any future ... services involving the negotiation of player contracts with NFL teams; for example, an NIL contract should not include any terms that require or condition any NIL terms on the player later hiring that (agent) for NFL contract services."  This, to me, separates the two and makes for two distinct agreements.  Will they overlap?  I bet they do and that's where the enforcement of such with loss of eligibility will become interesting, to say the least.

Agreed. Avoiding the overlap is what the NCAA will focus on IMO. It is also what the NFLPA is focusing on, which is likely indicative of how other player's associations will approach it. But agents are allowed to represent a player at both levels as long as the initial NIL representation is not contingent upon the player's use of the agent in the pros.

Social media will be the main driver of revenue. Compare followers and impressions to TV ratings. As with pricing commercials, companies pay for ads and/or product placement based on the number of expected impressions on social media.

From those articles it doesn’t seem as if the NCAA is preventing current representation from providing future services, but rather doesn’t want current representation to be *contingent* on a player retaining that agent in the future. 

No arguments here with either billie or john.  It will be interesting to watch all this evolve.  I really can't see a Scott Boras-type agent representing what would likely be nickel and dime NIL endorsements for any less-than-star-level college players assuming an agent of any type gets a percentage of the take.  Kevin Marin is Goodwin's agent for example.  I doubt he'd be in his current position if he was his NIL guardian during undergrad.  Fred Thatch and Sean Clifford are prime examples of what I expect ---- autograph and camp sessions arranged mostly by them with help.  I know the Alabama QB is supposed to be lining up $800k or $1 million but I'll believe that when I see it.  I know we are now also talking high school kids and maybe that works with a machine behind you like the Ball family.  But what would someone like a Larry Hughes Jr. command?  There will be exceptions to every rule but most will need to garner name recognition to see any dollars fall out of their particular skies.

Now, as I said, I don't understand social media and all that jazz, so I have no idea how all that will play out in the likes of the Cavender twins and so on.  I think this has failure written all over it as far as the NCAA enforcement division is concerned (if that's really a thing).  Reggie Bush got caught.  Marcus Camby got caught.  St. Bonaventure got caught.  You can do it right --- whatever that is.

• 1 month later...
Just now, shempie said:

I had heard that Tatum recently hosted a golf tourney here. Wonder if that was it? Apparently his foursome include Penny and Tatum's golf coach. 

Actually in might have been Beal that hosted, but I know Tatum played.