Perkins Top 100 Mid-Majors

Taj79

The tweet on the main page shows Perkins at #34.  Other A10 players include:

Kyle Lofton, Bonaventure, #9; Jacob Gilyard, Richmond, #10; Osun Osunniyi, Bonaventure, #12; Toumani Camara, Dayton, #14; Marcus Tsohonis, VCU, #39; Grant Golden, Richmond, #41; Jordan Hall, St. Joe's, #44; Hyunjung Lee, Davidson, #84; and Tyler Burton, Richmond, #97.  Honorable Mention made of Dom Welch and Jaren Holmes of Bonavenure, Jamir Wartkins of VCU, Noah Fernandes of Umass, Josh Oduro of Mason and Mustafa Amzil of Dayton.  The brief write-up that caught my eye was the comparions of Camara to Obi Toppin.  There is even mention of him as A10 POY.  Big shoes, big hopes.  The only guy missing from the Bonnies was Jalen Adaway and he is, to me, the glue that holds that roster together.  Holmes, Welch and Lofton can all have off shooting nights but Adaway seems to compensate quite well on those nights.  Burton showed great promise last year but I don't know if he is better than nathan Cayo but Richmond has at least three guys in here.  Plus neither Nick Sherrod nor Francis Okoro get mentions.  Must be the injuries they are coming back from.

Non-conference opponents we shall see this year include Jeenathen Williams, Buffalo, #13; KJ Buffen, UAB, #43; Roman Penn, Drake, #46; Josh Mballa, Buffalo, #53; and Tank Hemphill, Drake, #62. Honorable mention went to Abu Kigab of Boise State.  With two guys each on Buffalo and Drake, should make for interesting non-conference games, to say the least.

I actually think the guy who wrote this does a pretty good job overall. It's basically impossible to cover all of college basketball in and do the research to keep up on all these teams (that's why I can't put any stock in those top 144 previews because you can tell immediately that they haven't done their research). That said, there are a lot of disagreements I would have with this guy's list:

• Gilyard: Should not be above Perkins and probably not better than Golden
  • Toumani Camara: I think he will be very good but definitely should not be above Perkins
  • Marcus Tsohonis: If you had the displeasure of watching this guy play at Washington, you would not be putting him above many others on this list. Inefficient and plays his worst in big minutes. Does not contribute to winning and not one of VCU's top 2 players (WIlliams/Ward)
  • Jalen Adway: Like @Taj79 I think he should probably be on this list