O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

2 hours ago, Brighton said:

And you think the A10 does ? Unlike SIUE, they actually care about sports. Their potential to be a force shouldn’t be overlooked and that’s all I was saying.

I get that they will be the only D1 local school in football and that has nothing to do with us.  Basketball will be a bigger challenge for them.  To say SIU-E doesn't care about sports is not true their soccer program has flourished once they decided to refocus on it.  Now will they be a recruiting force in the minor sports possibly but then again while they call themselves a non profit running programs at a loss is not what they do.  No denial just a rational assessment.  

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Brighton said:

I’ll say this, SLU better step up their game in all sports because Lindenwood is a sleeping giant not just in the St. Louis region, but the state.

Lindenwood reminds me in some ways of a smaller Liberty or Grand Canyon. You could have a point. Having a serious commitment to sports can yield results. However, being good at D2 is a lot easier than at D1. 

The CAA added North Carolina A&T - along with previously announced Hampton, Monmouth & Stony Brook.

Probably not a coincidence that they are all football schools. The days of the CAA being the A10's farm system may be on the decline, although they still have a few schools that could fit the mold.

https://caasports.com/news/2022/2/22/football-caa-welcomes-north-carolina-a-t-as-newest-member-of-the-conference.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 10:53 PM, Bonner89 said:

What's SLU's excuse to not elevate their club program to D1 ?

Title 9 would require that we add an equal number of women's scholarships.  Not saying that this is an excuse, just stating that it would cost double the number of scholarships.

39 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Title 9 would require that we add an equal number of women's scholarships.  Not saying that this is an excuse, just stating that it would cost double the number of scholarships.

besides the scholarships beyond title 9 and the program trying to add, the facilities cost would be extreme as well compared to other lesser/no revenue sports.   add in additional cost for insurances and for staff.   adding a sport isnt cheap.   

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

besides the scholarships beyond title 9 and the program trying to add, the facilities cost would be extreme as well compared to other lesser/no revenue sports.   add in additional cost for insurances and for staff.   adding a sport isnt cheap.   

Don’t forget about flying a couple dozen people all over because there are very few programs within a bus ride. 

57 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

To me, scholarship “cost” is a fuzzy math kind of thing. If 50 people showed up on the SLU campus today, they’d still be able to enroll, attend classes, and SLU would incur very minimal actual cost to that. 

8 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

To me, scholarship “cost” is a fuzzy math kind of thing. If 50 people showed up on the SLU campus today, they’d still be able to enroll, attend classes, and SLU would incur very minimal actual cost to that. 

Not sure that is exactly true.  50 more kids means at least one or two more professors to teach them, so add their salaries.  Also, you have to fund the sports that these extra kids play.  Depending on the sport, that's may not be small potatoes.

36 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

+100

over the last two decades, SLU has taken the financial axe to our ballyhooed rifle and golf teams. We’ve gone lean six sigma rather than expanding and operating at a loss. I just don’t see hockey coming back even if St Louis as a whole has hockey fever and we could recoup our losses at the gate/concessions/merch, etc.

31 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Not sure that is exactly true.  50 more kids means at least one or two more professors to teach them, so add their salaries.  Also, you have to fund the sports that these extra kids play.  Depending on the sport, that's may not be small potatoes.

and just think.   most of these profs own websites and messageboards which are seriously expensive toys.   who can afford that except these high paid professors.  😉

cgeldmacher and willie like this

31 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I don't think you understood my point. Whether SLU has an enrollment of 12,437 or 12,487 - the cost of operating Saint Louis University is about the same. It isn't as if these 50 people are going to all go into the same exact class lineup resulting in a need of new hires to teach them. They add 1 or 2 people at most to random sections across campus. 

Funding the sports operations is totally separate than "scholarship" talk. There isn't any real money changing hands when talking about scholarships. When you're talking about planes, trains, automobiles, and equipment - there is obviously a very hard cost there. 

40 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Out of curiosity, can Chaifetz be accommodating to ice hockey?  

I remember discussing a few years back. My contention is that the BB floor is 94 feet long, hockey is 200 so I don't think it's possible. Other posters said that the seats could be taken out, reconfigured etc.

The practice gym is at one end, it likely would affect that. And now with the new addition planned, I just don't see it. And it would take $$$.

To answer your question, it wouldn't be easy.

44 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I don’t think the stands are easily removable for it. Could be wrong. At a glance it looks like removal of the stands and then replacing them would take days and not hours. 

so to make it suitable for ice hockey would require a sizeable investment in replacing the type of stands around the court. 

I can verify it’s suitable for Disney on Ice. 

Thanks willie.  One of the biggest reasons for cutting hockey back int he late 70s was cost of rental facility.  I guess the old story is that the Salomans (sp?) donated the Arena to SLU for ice hockey or gave it at a slight fee for use.  When that deal expired, the cost was pretty huge (so I was told).  Just wondered if Chaifetz, with its circular design, could be equipped and now I know the answer.

15 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Specifically not having it suitable for hockey and building it around the basketball court, not a hockey rink, is one of the reasons it is one of the best basketball venues around.  When you put a basketball court in an arena built for hockey you end up with some terrible views.

AGB91, BrockL, laker119 and 2 others like this

22 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Specifically not having it suitable for hockey and building it around the basketball court, not a hockey rink, is one of the reasons it is one of the best basketball venues around.  When you put a basketball court in an arena built for hockey you end up with some terrible views.

Yeah, the old Bradley Center in Milwaukee had that problem. It was built to try to lure an NHL team, which never happened and the Bucks were a secondary consideration. Had way too many upper deck seats, way too shallow of a lower bowl making the whole place feel too large and quiet (of course the Bucks were terrible for most of that time as well, which doesn't improve the atmosphere)