O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Butler joined the A10 for only a few years so WSU leaving for lets say the A10 is not that far fetched.

I believe Butler was in the A10 for ONE year. But long enough to get beat 3 times by the Bills.

Conference USA as it looks right now is down to 5 members , none of the original members remain...  Could UMASS be a target for the league to find a home for their football team??? 

The Sun Belt Conference seems to have strengthened itself in all this..., 

12 hours ago, BLIKNS said:

Conference USA as it looks right now is down to 5 members , none of the original members remain...  Could UMASS be a target for the league to find a home for their football team??? 

The Sun Belt Conference seems to have strengthened itself in all this..., 

Who else left?  FIU, Old Dom, West KY, Middle TN, UTEP and LaTech?

For me it would be an extremely bold move for any school to hitch up with the CUSA now.  Who knows if they will survive or will merge with another conference. If UMass is looking to move, today there are better options (if anyone wants them for football).

Old Dominion heading to the Sun Belt.  

Question is where will Liberty go?

Arkansas-Little Rock and UT-Arlington, both in the Sunbelt, but don't play football , what happens to them , Is the Valley a possible move

New Mexico State may find a home for football..

Grand Canyon to the West Coast a real possibility. 

More to come

47 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

Old Dominion heading to the Sun Belt.  

Question is where will Liberty go?

Arkansas-Little Rock and UT-Arlington, both in the Sunbelt, but don't play football , what happens to them , Is the Valley a possible move

New Mexico State may find a home for football..

Grand Canyon to the West Coast a real possibility. 

More to come

Word is Little Rock and UTA have to find a new home.  I think the conference is trying to give them time to find a landing spot.  I guess if it takes too long they will just kick them out like the have done to other members in the past when they booted New Mexico St and Idaho on the football side.  I assume they want to avoid getting to that point with Little Rock and UTA.  Little Rock has been a member for 30 years.

The Sunbelt has been as well run as any conference in the country. 

if true, i wont miss umass.   imo they really dont fit our conference footprint with them being a huge public school.    the football thing, if they truly are serious about football,  will become a distraction for them as the conference is mainly a basketball focused conference.   let em run.  make a run at loyola to replace them.   

19 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Mo state is a school mentioned that could be leaving for CUSA

I don't know if CUSA would be a good spot to try to make the move to the next level, but I think MO St. has potential as a FBS program if it gets the financial commitment required from boosters to make the move successfully.  I think if they decide to make the move they should do all they can to try to get into the Sunbelt.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

if true, i wont miss umass.   imo they really dont fit our conference footprint with them being a huge public school.    the football thing, if they truly are serious about football,  will become a distraction for them as the conference is mainly a basketball focused conference.   let em run.  make a run at loyola to replace them.   

Agreed.  UMass basketball has fallen off in recent years as well.  Even with A10 POY candidate Tre Mitchell on the roster the past couple years, they weren't that good.  This is cherry-picking, but UMass hasn't been in the top 100 in KenPom ratings since 2014.  The only other A10 teams they share that misfortune with are Fordham, George Mason, and LaSalle.

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Agreed.  UMass basketball has fallen off in recent years as well.  Even with A10 POY candidate Tre Mitchell on the roster the past couple years, they weren't that good.  This is cherry-picking, but UMass hasn't been in the top 100 in KenPom ratings since 2014.  The only other A10 teams they share that misfortune with are Fordham, George Mason, and LaSalle.

They still have a strong name though. Id rather have them than not.

21 minutes ago, wgstl said:

indeed.

i do like they are a midwestern school, and i like the fact they have had great success as of recent.   however another large public school that has little in common with the core of the A10 imo.   i am all about the like minded and similar sized schools.

but if wichita was all we could get, so be it.  

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

From the UMass Athletic Director.  What do you think first A10 defection?  Their forum thinks they are MAC bound along with Western KY.

Was really hoping the A10 would avoid this latest round of realignment, exuding a general sense of solidarity and stability for the conference. 

6 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

-if UMass leaves don't replace them unless it's with Gonz is my take 

For those interested in UMass, here is a 10 minute video for you.  UMass has put $65 million into facilities, so they aren't dumping football.  At about 6:30, the AD says they are only moving football.  He intends to keep all other sports in the A10, but they are definitely looking at a conference affiliation for football.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/32583346/ncaa-releases-draft-streamlined-constitution-give-power-schools

This doesn’t say that there will be a smaller Division I tournament proposed, but the writing is on the wall. I just doubt this will end well. As noted above, Huggins is also at WVU, and has made his thoughts known.

"Once we got into this, we really found out that many of the issues were the Division I level," West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons, who is the chairman of the Division I Council and a member of the constitution committee, told AP.

"There's a huge gap in Division I with schools roughly with $175 million budgets and schools with $4 million budgets,'' Lyons said. "A lot of times we've tried to legislate from an equality standpoint. Is there possibly a new division? Is there a Division Four? Do some schools break away and make a Division Four, and what is the membership requirements?''