O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Wonder if this jump starts any Big east discussion again.

Well I've mentioned this previously, admittedly perhaps a bit wishful thinking on my part, but I still have this feeling that the football conference alliances will in turn impact basketball - there will be even fewer opportunities for quality non-conference basketball games between P5 schools against Big East and other quality non-football programs - which in turn will provide Big East the incentive to expand. At some point it seems there will need to be a bigger Big East Conference comprised of the best of the non-BCS programs to ensure that they have enough quality games on their schedule. 

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

Well I've mentioned this previously, admittedly perhaps a bit wishful thinking on my part, but I still have this feeling that the football conference alliances will in turn impact basketball - there will be even fewer opportunities for quality non-conference basketball games between P5 schools against Big East and other quality non-football programs - which in turn will provide Big East the incentive to expand. At some point it seems there will need to be a bigger Big East Conference comprised of the best of the non-BCS programs to ensure that they have enough quality games on their schedule. 

How come they can't just schedule more games against the 2nd best east coast conference, i.e. us?

On 8/5/2021 at 3:36 PM, brianstl said:

I don't know if the Big East expanding soon is as wishful thinking as I thought it was a month ago.  Fox is losing inventory with the Big 12 implosion. Fox needs sports inventory to drive business to Fox Bet and will probably be willing to throw money at the Big East to add to their inventory. The Big East would have to add more teams to supply more inventory.

What if and I know this sounds crazy but...what if the Big 10 bought the Big East conference TV rights?  It would protect the Big East from what's definitely coming.  

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, just for fun, who are your 20?

Eastern Division
UCONN
Providence
St. John's
Seton Hall
Villanova
Georgetown
VCU

Davidson
Richmond
St. Bonaventure

Western Division
Butler
Loyola Chicago  -  (no DePaul - enjoy the Valley)
Marquette
Saint Louis
Creighton
St. Mary's

Dayton

Xavier

Wichita State

Gonzaga

drkelsey55 likes this

On 7/30/2021 at 7:58 PM, TheA_Bomb said:

Back to the topic at hand how this effects SLU Athletics mostly basketball.  There's some blow back now on expansion of CFP to 12 teams.  But eventually I think that happens and there's more incentive to go to Super Conference.  So maybe that is slowed down.

Other things to consider outside of this topic NIL for HS athletes.    MSHAA better get ready. 

Can a radio show or podcast sponsor a player and expect some inside info?

Changes are coming.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:36 PM, wgstl said:

wasn't sure where to post this, but thought this is interesting. 

No way.  Marshall is a football school.

8 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Only if they play FBS Football.

Some speculation from SI,

Though AAC Commissioner Aresco declined to reveal potential new members, the top options are likely to start with UAB, a rising power in the G5 located in the heart of the Deep South. Football success is an important piece to any new additions, as well as fan support and school resources. Several others may fit that mold, including Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Boise State, North Texas, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina and Arkansas State.

The last four teams to leave the AAC were the top four Group of 5 public schools in athletic department revenue, according to figures from USA Today. UConn topped that list, ranking behind 51 Power 5 programs with $80.9 million in revenue in 2018–19. Houston, UCF and Cincinnati are the next three, followed by Air Force in the Mountain West, East Carolina (AAC) and Colorado State (Mountain West).

On 9/5/2021 at 9:37 AM, HoosierPal said:

Okay, just for fun, who are your 20?

Eastern Division
UCONN
Providence
St. John's
Seton Hall
Villanova
Georgetown
VCU

Davidson
Richmond
St. Bonaventure

Western Division
Butler
Loyola Chicago  -  (no DePaul - enjoy the Valley)
Marquette
Saint Louis
Creighton
St. Mary's

Dayton

Xavier

Wichita State

Gonzaga

I don’t think you’re going to see DePaul cave and relegate themselves into obscurity. When you count both Mayor Daley’s amongst its most notable alums, I’m sure there will be some backchannel deal to ensure DePaul stays relevant. 

Ray Manzarek (class of 60) would have also made sure they break on through to the other side of conference realignment. 

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

I don’t think you’re going to see DePaul cave and relegate themselves into obscurity. When you count both Mayor Daley’s amongst its most notable alums, I’m sure there will be some backchannel deal to ensure DePaul stays relevant. 

Ray Manzarek (class of 60) would have also made sure they break on through to the other side of conference realignment. 

I know you are right, but DePaul has been horrible this century. Their last NCAA appearance was 2004. Loyola has more current panache than DePaul.

Is there any incident of a team getting kicked out of a conference?  I can't think of 1.  Now plenty of teams get left behind during reorganization.  Even Vandy is still hanging in the Mother of all Football Conferences despite losses to ETSU etc.

So realistic thinking would be how can non-football schools or basketball schools realign to protect their interests.  Reorganization driven by non-football schools being left behind.  Also $ will drive it who brings viewers.  So alliances are also a possibility. 

Pistol likes this

22 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Is there any incident of a team getting kicked out of a conference?  I can't think of 1.  Now plenty of teams get left behind during reorganization.  Even Vandy is still hanging in the Mother of all Football Conferences despite losses to ETSU etc.

So realistic thinking would be how can non-football schools or basketball schools realign to protect their interests.  Reorganization driven by non-football schools being left behind.  Also $ will drive it who brings viewers.  So alliances are also a possibility. 

This is the point that always gets ignored when people talk about the A10 needing to restructure. Conferences just don't boot schools. Even when there are massive scandals or even the death penalty, schools stay in their conferences. SMU didn't get kicked out of the SWC. Penn State, Michigan State, Baylor - no matter how big or horrible the scandal is, they get to stay. And schools that underperform and go down a level leave conferences on their own. They don't get booted. It doesn't happen.

We just have to keep an eye on - or communicate with - schools that have similar interests and situations to us and stay aligned with them. In addition to the A10, that means Memphis, Wichita State, Loyola, and Belmont, keeping an eye on what happens with the AAC and which other conferences could be broken up based on what happens there.

brianstl likes this

39 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Even Vandy is still hanging in the Mother of all Football Conferences despite losses to ETSU etc.

Vandy is a founding member.  They pretty much cant be kicked out

(talking MVC dont kill me)

I was looking at college football rankings, and noticed theres a few MVC teams ranked in the top 25.  Then I noticed the Dakota teams are in that conf for football.  I would actually like to see SD state, ND, and SD join the MVC in all sports. 

I like Greenberg's idea about a super BB only conference, but it will likely never happen. Still,  the better mid major conferences better start thinking about preservation as far as the NCAA tourney is concerned. It's still my belief the P5 wants the whole enchilada, ie FB$ and BB$. That $6 billion CBS pays could go up now that you have Fox Sports and Disney as competition. That will only make the P5 salivate more. 

The day's coming when all schools will have to start examining sports budgets more closely. I'm guessing that most P5 schools, because of FB$ and size of fan bases are probably operating in the black, while the rest of us operate in the red. There's only two ways to ease budget pressure; increase revenues or reduce costs. 

That's why I think a conference like the Beast would be wise to look at expansion. By adding more schools to their MW footprint they can reduce travel expenses for the non revenue sports just by cutting down on the mileage non rev teams have to travel. It's a lot cheaper for X baseball to travel to St. Louis and Dayton than to the East Coast. Again, it makes so much sense it will probably never happen, even though I think cost control will become more and more of a factor in the not too distant future. 

I'm operating under the assumption the Big East is set. They have 11, which makes for a crisp 20-game schedule. I don't think there's expansion pressure right now. They're solidly a power conference in basketball.

With UC, UCF, and Houston going to the Big XII, the A10 and the Mountain West become the best non-power conferences. If Memphis and Wichita State are stuck in a weaker AAC that might grab a few CUSA schools, SLU might not need to do anything. We just have to keep an open line with those two and the other schools we've mentioned.

ARon likes this

Does anyone know why Memphis is not going to the big 12?

I think the Memphis football and basketball programs are in good shape.

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

Does anyone know why Memphis is not going to the big 12?

I think the Memphis football and basketball programs are in good shape.

Good Q, it would make a ton of sense