O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

21 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Gotcha.  I did think your post was putting Texas Athletics & Star Wars on the same level in terms of "brands".  If that was a joke, I missed it.  I'm glad we can agree that equating the two is bonkers.

I started typing out a bigger response, but this is a bit like debating @billiken_roy about some random metro Illinois player.  We aren't going to get anywhere.  You seem to think Texas stands alone as the pinnacle of college athletics brands on a national level and I agree with @Compton that they're up there with a dozen or two other schools - all of which have greater national recognition than most college brands, but are still only big draws regionally.  I can't walk into a St. Louis Target and buy Texas gear (or USC or Florida, etc.).  We aren't going to change each other's minds and seem to have differing definitions of what a national brand is.

Come on dude. The Texas Longhorns logo is as identifiable as the Yankees "NY" or the Green Bay Packers "G". Sure there are other schools on UT's level but that's a massive American brand. I promise you can find Texas gear in St. Louis. Try Dick's or Champs.

TheA_Bomb likes this

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Come on dude. The Texas Longhorns logo is as identifiable as the Yankees "NY" or the Green Bay Packers "G". Sure there are other schools on UT's level but that's a massive American brand. I promise you can find Texas gear in St. Louis. Try Dick's or Champs.

If you have sports channel pkg you know they have a huge presence in the NCAA. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

Back to the topic at hand how this effects SLU Athletics mostly basketball.  There's some blow back now on expansion of CFP to 12 teams.  But eventually I think that happens and there's more incentive to go to Super Conference.  So maybe that is slowed down.

Other things to consider outside of this topic NIL for HS athletes.    MSHAA better get ready. 

Can a radio show or podcast sponsor a player and expect some inside info?

Changes are coming.

I have zero interest in adding another team from Virginia to the conference and I don't see what Marshall brings to the conference. 

This shouldn't be hard for Bernadette McGlade, but she will screw it up.  If you think the conference needs to grow add Belmont and Loyola.  Those two program are both higher profile basketball programs than Marshall/ODU and they are both in much larger media markets.  

Nice heads up, wgstl!  

Doing my best Horse from Ren and Stimpy impersonation,  No Sir, I don't like it..

Sounds like C-USA mess with football, would expect other football programs to be joining them , so could say Marshall and ODU bolt just as fast ?

Nice to see some A-10 realignment talk, myself , I say ask Loyola and or Belmont to join, and get in Wichita State's ear, try to convince then they should be in a basketball league without football driving the league

I'm sure this is wishful thinking on my part, but if there turns out to be four 16 team conferences for football (as has been speculated), would there be any incentive for the Big East to grow into a 16 team conference to make five super conferences in basketball?

almaman and TJHawk like this

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I have zero interest in adding another team from Virginia to the conference and I don't see what Marshall brings to the conference. 

This shouldn't be hard for Bernadette McGlade, but she will screw it up.  If you think the conference needs to grow add Belmont and Loyola.  Those two program are both higher profile basketball programs than Marshall/ODU and they are both in much larger media markets.  

bernie has proven herself to be small minded.   the conference will never meet it's potential as long as she is in charge imo.   the bungled conference tourney last year was just the worst

brianstl likes this

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

yuck

And it is hilarious... all the small minded a10 schools with excited reactions in the quote tweets. There's only like five teams/fanbases in this league who really give a damn

the top third of this league has no business being in the same league as Lasalle and co

Marshall is in West Virginia, not Virginia.

Selfishly, campus is just under 3 hours from my house. Easiest road trip after Dayton.

Soccer is riding high with the national championship but I wonder if it's sustainable. This was only their second NCAA Tournament appearance, the other being the previous year.

Otherwise, I don't get it. Basketball has been to the NCAA Tournament once since 1987. The school is ranked #284 academically. They have a football program.

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm sure this is wishful thinking on my part, but if there turns out to be four 16 team conferences for football (as has been speculated), would there be any incentive for the Big East to grow into a 16 team conference to make five super conferences in basketball?

I don't know if the Big East expanding soon is as wishful thinking as I thought it was a month ago.  Fox is losing inventory with the Big 12 implosion. Fox needs sports inventory to drive business to Fox Bet and will probably be willing to throw money at the Big East to add to their inventory. The Big East would have to add more teams to supply more inventory.

Just now, Pistol said:

Selfishly, campus is just under 3 hours from my house. Easiest road trip after Dayton.

Soccer is riding high with the national championship but I wonder if it's sustainable. This was only their second NCAA Tournament appearance, the other being the previous year.

Otherwise, I don't get it. Basketball has been to the NCAA Tournament once since 1987. The school is ranked #284 academically. They have a football program.

ODU is in Virginia.

I'm not interested in experiencing what the conference realignment spin-cycle feels like once we have a few football first C-USA programs move in.

I might be open to adding Army basketball. Not because they're good, but just because they lend a certain national awareness and have their own unimpeachable kind of prestige.  

15 hours ago, Pistol said:

Soccer isn’t going to drive conference realignment. But Chris Grassie’s accomplishments and staying power speak for themselves. (They will be good this year)

With that said, Marshall’s coach Chris Grassie. signed a 5 year extension after winning the College Cup National Title this Spring. He’s played or coached at 3 different schools in the state of West Virginia.

Grassie led Charleston to 3 NCAA D-2 Final Fours in 6 seasons. His assistant and successor, won a National Title at Charleston, shortly after Grassie took the Marshall HC position) That assistant was recently hired as HC at West Virginia) Grassie has either played, or been an assistant or head coach in West Virginia for most of over the past two decades, with the exception of a few years at Michigan, where of course they won the won the Big 10 Title and advanced to the College Cup Final Four. 

The Athletic staff takes a stab at basketball conferences post realignment.   I don't have access so I'm not sure what it says.

https://theathletic.com/2764906/2021/08/12/realignment-gets-weird-the-athletic-drafts-new-mens-college-basketball-conferences/?amp

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The Athletic staff takes a stab at basketball conferences post realignment.   I don't have access so I'm not sure what it says.

https://theathletic.com/2764906/2021/08/12/realignment-gets-weird-the-athletic-drafts-new-mens-college-basketball-conferences/?amp

Unfortunately SLU wasn’t mentioned in this article.

51 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Unfortunately SLU wasn’t mentioned in this article.

"Let’s get some itchy mid-majors not only anxious to prove their mettle against the big boys, but are good enough. There are no three better in the country than Loyola Chicago, VCU and Dayton."

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

"Let’s get some itchy mid-majors not only anxious to prove their mettle against the big boys, but are good enough. There are no three better in the country than Loyola Chicago, VCU and Dayton."

booooo

AGB91 likes this

On 7/28/2021 at 7:07 PM, BLIKNS said:

Heard that...

Can see Pac 12 possibly adding BYU, Boise State, San Diego State, and maybe a Texas school( TCU, TT or Baylor)

I can’t see SC or UCLA playing on BlueTurf™️. It’s almost a sacrilege. Can you imagine the uproar the Song Girls of USC will cause in Provo (Utah)? 

On 8/5/2021 at 4:15 PM, Compton said:

I'm not interested in experiencing what the conference realignment spin-cycle feels like once we have a few football first C-USA programs move in.

I might be open to adding Army basketball. Not because they're good, but just because they lend a certain national awareness and have their own unimpeachable kind of prestige.  

Do we want any sort of Kevin Bacon lineage with Jim Crews? Can we sever that link forever and ever amen?

I know Army gave us Coach K and Bobby Knight, but it also gave us James S. Crews and I’m assuming the S stands for sucks. 

48 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

I can’t see SC or UCLA playing on BlueTurf™️. It’s almost a sacrilege. Can you imagine the uproar the Song Girls of USC will cause in Provo (Utah)? 

Song girl uniforms are classic sweaters those are ok in UT but Oregon is the one that'll be scandalous.   Anyway, there's some solid reporting that no religious based schools will be in PAC.  So no TCU, Baylor, BYU.