O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Apparently there is reporting that FOX could make a deal for Texas, OU to go independent then fill out their schedule with B10 and PAC10 schools under their media contracts.

This angle is not discussed enough. The current college football playoff setup does not incentivize playing a super tough schedule. Look at ND the last few years. Regardless, this will come down to money. I could see Texas going independent if it believes the money is there. 

I hope the A-10 is on top of rhis... what happens if the Big 12 goes after the AAC , Wichita State may not be quite as interested in being there, if the league is weakened, maybe the A-10 could throw out an invite...

I still like the idea of asking Belmont and or Loyola 

L

bauman likes this

51 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Have a hard time seeing Gonzaga move. 

I also don't really think Gonzaga needs to move. They already have a top basketball budget and pedigree (think their basketball budget is bigger than every Pac 12 school except UCLA). They play on national tv all the time. What are they really missing out on?

58 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I think that the Pac 12 will pick up Baylor, Tech, TCU, and Oklahoma st to make a 16 team conference with two divisions. North/West - Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, Washington St, Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA | South/East - Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado, Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma St... I think this would actually be a helluva conference for both basketball and football

People in the P12, so worried about the health and vitality of the student-athlete, are voicing their concerns over the two time zone change to play in Texas. Ok, well, you already have one time zone change when you go to Boulder. And if it wasn’t for Arizona being so weird, you’d have had one time zone change in place for the last 30 years anyway. 

The Time Zone Warriors at the U of Hawaii are laughing out of their leis (LOL) at this.

20 hours ago, slufanskip said:

When those schools left the Big 12, the main reasoning was Texas not wanting to share revenues from the Longhorn Network. However, what is never mentioned is that Texas first wanted a Big 12 network but no one else thought it worth the investment. So Texas went on their own, when it became successful everyone wanted a piece of the pie. Typical 

I thought that the story was that OU and Texas had a deal where they got a greater portion of pie than they were supposed to of Big 12 revenue sharing.  When the issue of the Big 12 Network came up, they both insisted that the profits from the network be split the same way and not equally.  I even seem to remember that they wanted a bigger inequity coming their way from the network and they held the idea of having their own network over the other schools' heads.  That was apparently the last straw for Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and A&M.

3 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I get most of this conference jumping is about football but isn't the basketball tournament contract between CBS/Turner and the NCAA? I wonder if the lawyers at CBS were smart enough to put an escape in the contract that if something like 64 teams break from the NCAA the deal is void? it appears the current contract goes through the 2032 tourney, if it matters

-would those 64 football schools strike a deal with another provider, or even CBS, to have their own tourney? that would certainly have marketability but that leaves out the BEast and of course a lot of others

-of course, with Notre Dame there are currently 65 teams combined in the ACC, Big 10, SEC, Big 12 and Pac 12

-will be interesting to see how this develops

I think if the 64 teams broke away, it would be for football only.  The rest would remain connected to the NCAA.

26 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I thought that the story was that OU and Texas had a deal where they got a greater portion of pie than they were supposed to of Big 12 revenue sharing.  When the issue of the Big 12 Network came up, they both insisted that the profits from the network be split the same way and not equally.  I even seem to remember that they wanted a bigger inequity coming their way from the network and they held the idea of having their own network over the other schools' heads.  That was apparently the last straw for Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and A&M.

That is something I hadn't heard that they wanted a bigger share of the pie if a Big 12 Network came about. It may be correct. 

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think if the 64 teams broke away, it would be for football only.  The rest would remain connected to the NCAA.

28 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I have hard time believing that is a workable setup. 

I don't know how realistic it is, but I think it's an ideal setup if possible. Football at the top level is already walled off to the top conferences. Even if you go undefeated in one of the next five conferences, you're probably not getting a playoff shot. Just make it official. Bowls aren't run by the NCAA, either. Make big-time football its own thing, keep the NCAA Tournament intact.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't know how realistic it is, but I think it's an ideal setup if possible. Football at the top level is already walled off to the top conferences. Even if you go undefeated in one of the next five conferences, you're probably not getting a playoff shot. Just make it official. Bowls aren't run by the NCAA, either. Make big-time football its own thing, keep the NCAA Tournament intact.

-everything is about $$$$, I get it, but I hope some how, some way, if the 4 Conferences do split for football that every other school not in the 4C's does not play them in football, let them beat up on themselves and see how long they like that, my gosh Wake Forest can only play so many homecoming games in a season

-I realize won't happen, can't happen as those other schools need the paydays, but it would be neat to see

SOmething I've always wondered.  Why did the Big 12 allow itself to be the lowest of the BCS conferences and constantly get poached for teams?  Many years they could rival the SEC for football dominance and were certainly a better conference than the ACC and PAC 12.

I hope the basketball only private schools are seriously considering a bi coastal super league at this point with a national broadcast deal.  It will be the only way they remain relevant.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

SOmething I've always wondered.  Why did the Big 12 allow itself to be the lowest of the BCS conferences and constantly get poached for teams?  Many years they could rival the SEC for football dominance and were certainly a better conference than the ACC and PAC 12.

I hope the basketball only private schools are seriously considering a bi coastal super league at this point with a national broadcast deal.  It will be the only way they remain relevant.

I would also like to see a super league but don’t agree that it’s necessary for the private schools to remain relevant. The Zags Nova Hoyas Blue Jays Flyers Bills Johnies Bull Dogs Gales will be relevant. 

3 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Interesting. If true, the Big Ten is desperate to keep up with the size/structure of the SEC. Otherwise, Kansas doesn’t fit the conference profile at all.

Kansas is a perfect fit.  Kansas is a member of the Association of American Universities.  That is a big deal for the Big 10 schools.  [True, Nebraska was an AAU member when they applied for Big 10 membership, but were removed from the AAU roles shortly thereafter. The reasons listed were that the Nebraska Medical School was not on campus and that the AAU didn't give NE credit for their ag related research.]  The 66 AAU members receive somewhere around $26 billion per year from the US Govt for research. 

BTW, Iowa State is also an AAU member-the only other university in the current Big 12.  If Kansas moves to the Big 10, look for ISU to follow.  There is more to this reshuffling than football.

SLU_Lax likes this