O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

That what is being reported...

Of course if this were to happen the Big 12 would try to  raid the AAC.  Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston and UCF would be possible targets

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

That what is being reported...

Of course if this were to happen the Big 12 would try to  raid the AAC.  Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston and UCF would be possible targets

So would two original SWC schools (UH being the one you mentioned) SMU and Rice. I know this would NEVER happen, but for God’s sake, Arkansas should just go back to lesser conference. I could see Tulsa also coming aboard. 

Rivalry games essentially are at the crux of this decision - one is Bedlam - what does Okie State do if the Sooners leave? There is the one-sided asswhooping Texas has handed A&M over the years. The move keeps the Red River game alive, but at what cost? Does the Third Saturday in October game between Bama and Tennessee go away? Does the Georgia-Auburn annual slip away? 

Lots to think about…

It only takes four votes to reject a program from becoming a conference member in the SEC.  Texas has at least 3 votes against before the process even starts.  A&M, Arkansas and Missouri will all be no’s.  The fact the the three programs that have been in business with Texas before will be no votes should be all the information other conference members need to reject Texas.

55 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It only takes four votes to reject a program from becoming a conference member in the SEC.  Texas has at least 3 votes against before the process even starts.  A&M, Arkansas and Missouri will all be no’s.  The fact the the three programs that have been in business with Texas before will be no votes should be all the information other conference members need to reject Texas.

LSU will also be a no, as they’ve settled in nicely as A&M’s thanksgiving weekend rivalry game. If Texas comes to the SEC, it will more than likely slot that Longhorn/Aggie Game back to its traditional Friday-after-Thanksgiving date. It’s been 10 years since the two teams have played. I was at the last game in College Station and it was bitter. 

F1BAFCB3-6707-4E11-B565-5F7E5A287391.jpeg

9032C736-1CF1-4F09-BF0C-3895766CB917.jpeg

25 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

It was all about money during the last realignment. It will be the same thing here. Either the rest of the SEC makes more from adding them, or they do not.

You got that straight.  You can swallow your pride for an extra $16 million.

With Texas and Oklahoma, the SEC could conceivably go from a $44 million per team annual payout to $60 million. There wouldn't be many difference-making programs left to admit. Notre Dame is an independent. USC is in the Pac-12, which already has its own slew of issues.

So the transfer portal now includes schools jumping conferences?

ive long believed that the long term "secret" plan is for the big boys to have all their preferred programs divided into four 16 team conferences and then boot the rest of us out of D1.   no more sharing of money with us underlings.   

Does this mean Texas gives up their own TV Network? That was the issue when the PAC 12 was pursuing them. They refused. They’ve had to run the numbers and if being in the SEC nets them more $$’s then they’d go. 
As for ND, once the NBC deal ends they’ll likely join the Big 10 or the ACC. They don’t have the clout today when they got the NBC deal. 

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ive long believed that the long term "secret" plan is for the big boys to have all their preferred programs divided into four 16 team conferences and then boot the rest of us out of D1.   no more sharing of money with us underlings.   

Agreed. They want it all and the March Madness $$ have them licking their chops to bag it all. Question is will it be worth as much to a network when you do away with the David v Goliath drama in the tournament? I still think that’s the big draw of the Dance. 

dlarry likes this

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I expected this over the last 10 years, and then it did not happen. However, I now wonder why the top 16-20 programs do not form their own conference, with their own rules, so that they can really get a large payout.

58 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You got that straight.  You can swallow your pride for an extra $16 million.

With Texas and Oklahoma, the SEC could conceivably go from a $44 million per team annual payout to $60 million. There wouldn't be many difference-making programs left to admit. Notre Dame is an independent. USC is in the Pac-12, which already has its own slew of issues.

So the transfer portal now includes schools jumping conferences?

I find it hard to believe that adding OU and Texas would increase the SEC's profits by $344 million per year.  According to the numbers in your post the SEC has $616 million to distribute among their members currently and that could go to $960 million with OU and Texas.  That is a 56% increase.  I think Texas hires Enron's former accountants to come up with that number.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Whether or not this is what they're actively pushing toward or whether it would mean a separate division in the end, the trend toward four mega conferences has been underway for over 15 years beginning around the time of the Big East breakup, with certain events along the way accelerating it. The four-team CFB playoff, for example, is designed to upset at least one power conference per year. I guess you could point to other markers in college sports before the BE overhaul, like the Big 8 becoming the Big 12, but I look at that as the beginning of this era of power conference consolidation.

If this happens, it's the end of the Big XII as we know it and the next step toward the SEC-ACC-B10-P12 scenario.

14 hours ago, Brighton said:

If the SEC thinks Texas won't do to them what they did to the SWC and Big 8, then they have another thing coming.

Just curious what you believe Texas did to the SWC and then the Big 8? Which years were they in the Big 8? 

45 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Just curious what you believe Texas did to the SWC and then the Big 8? Which years were they in the Big 8? 

As early as ‘93, Texas had flirted with the Pac10. As soon as Aggie AD John David Crow caught wind, he started to flirt with the SEC, just like Arkansas had a year prior. However, then-Gov Ann Richards (a Baylor alum) said that Texas and Texas A&M weren’t going anywhere unless they brought Baylor, and for some reason, Texas Tech with them. So that ended Pac10 and SEC flirtation for a couple of decades. 

The writing was on the wall for the SWC with the SMU death penalty; Arkansas got out, but that was Jerry Jones money talking. They wanted media money, even at the sake of continuous mediocrity. 

9 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

As early as ‘93, Texas had flirted with the Pac10. As soon as Aggie AD John David Crow caught wind, he started to flirt with the SEC, just like Arkansas had a year prior. However, then-Gov Ann Richards (a Baylor alum) said that Texas and Texas A&M weren’t going anywhere unless they brought Baylor, and for some reason, Texas Tech with them. So that ended Pac10 and SEC flirtation for a couple of decades. 

The writing was on the wall for the SWC with the SMU death penalty; Arkansas got out, but that was Jerry Jones money talking. They wanted media money, even at the sake of continuous mediocrity. 

I'm still not understanding what Texas did to the SWC besides flirt with another conference as the one they were in was as you correctly stated on it's last legs

I have no issues with the State of Texas, but I have always disliked the University of Texas.  Same with the State of Ohio and Ohio State.  I would love it if the SEC said, "Sure, we'll take Oklahoma, but we'd rather have Baylor as the other one.  The U of Texas hasn't been a football power for a while now.