OT: NBA

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

It's laughable how people shame him for speaking out on the topics he picks as if he doesn't have firsthand experience of the things he's warning others of. But hey Lebron said China = 👍 so it must be true!!!!

They have a problem with Kanter, because his stances could cost them money.  Most of these athletes and activists today are all about taking stands on things that won't cost them money and are popular on twitter.  Kanter goes after real bad guys that are killing and imprisoning people.  Kanter's stances cost him money.  Nike is his shoe sponsor and he is going after them.  

21 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

It's laughable how people shame him for speaking out on the topics he picks as if he doesn't have firsthand experience of the things he's warning others of. But hey Lebron said China = 👍 so it must be true!!!!

Who are these people you are referring to? I have heard nothing but respect from fans/media for Kanter’s willingness to speak out on issues.

I also saw lots of people (correctly) criticize Lebron when he failed to speak out against the violence and injustice in Hong Kong.

I’m totally with you about Kanter’s commenrs, I just think it’s a little counterproductive to turn this into a First Take episode by jumping right to a comparison against Lebron. There are countless examples of people who represent Nike who could have spoken out against these practices and have not. 

The Tibetan Freedom movement is the greatest example of how fake most of these celebrity activists actually are.  You couldn’t go to a concert, open a entertainment magazine or watch an entertainment news program for about a decade plus without hearing about the cause of Tibetan freedom.  Then China bought everyone off and it was basically radio silence on Tibet for almost 20 years until Kanter decided he needed to speak.