OT: NBA

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Brighton said:

I hope the reports on Chaifetz being interested in buying an NBA team are true.

As much as I like the NBA and would love a local team to root for, I kind of like the Billikens being the good doctor’s sole basketball interest.  I also like SLU being the “biggest” basketball show in town.  Therefore, I’m okay with the status quo.

8 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

As much as I like the NBA and would love a local team to root for, I kind of like the Billikens being the good doctor’s sole basketball interest.  I also like SLU being the “biggest” basketball show in town.  Therefore, I’m okay with the status quo.

I see two sides to the argument here - one being that we have our own thing on-campus. You are absolutely right - but the environment for Marquette and the Bucks in Milwaukee is second-to-none. Tailgating in the parking lot when it’s 10 below or bar hopping before games in their little “ballpark village” around the new arena is awesome. If it would help the city, as it has Milwaukee, the Bucks and Marquette, we could take a page out of their playbook. Maybe even host (like Villanova used to do) a few games with bigger name programs at the larger arena and have lesser games back at Chaifetz.

I'm a huge NBA fan.  This season has been one of the worst seasons in the last 20 years as far as play on the court.  The playoffs have been atrocious, up until the last couple games.  NBA has played too many games, in too little of time, stars are older and more fragile.  More rest doesn't work.  With Giannis & Young hurt in the eastern conference finals, there wasn't a top 40 player in the league playing in the ECF.  With Kawhi out there wasn't a top 25 player int he WCF.  There hasn't been a lack of talent in the playoffs like this since before Bird and Magic.  Hopefully the league fixes this.  

Giannis is by far the best talent remaining and his having a historic finals.  Booker isn't ready for the stage, and Paul is a little washed and one the leagues all time great choke artists.  After all of the league's over the top BLM and China nonsense its good to see 3 strong personalities like Paul, Monty WIlliams and Giannis at the forefront of the league.

I don't think Chaifetz has the money or backing to get an NBA team at this point.  Seattle and Las Vegas are next up for expansion or team movement.  St. Louis only chance is Memphis ownership losing a lot of money and the NBA willing to move the team down the road.  That won't be for several years at best.

JMM28 and SLU_Nick like this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

I'm a huge NBA fan.  This season has been one of the worst seasons in the last 20 years as far as play on the court.  The playoffs have been atrocious, up until the last couple games.  NBA has played too many games, in too little of time, stars are older and more fragile.  More rest doesn't work.  With Giannis & Young hurt in the eastern conference finals, there wasn't a top 40 player in the league playing in the ECF.  With Kawhi out there wasn't a top 25 player int he WCF.  There hasn't been a lack of talent in the playoffs like this since before Bird and Magic.  Hopefully the league fixes this.  

Giannis is by far the best talent remaining and his having a historic finals.  Booker isn't ready for the stage, and Paul is a little washed and one the leagues all time great choke artists.  After all of the league's over the top BLM and China nonsense its good to see 3 strong personalities like Paul, Monty WIlliams and Giannis at the forefront of the league.

I don't think Chaifetz has the money or backing to get an NBA team at this point.  Seattle and Las Vegas are next up for expansion or team movement.  St. Louis only chance is Memphis ownership losing a lot of money and the NBA willing to move the team down the road.  That won't be for several years at best.

Seattle?  that's still an American city?

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

I'm a huge NBA fan.  This season has been one of the worst seasons in the last 20 years as far as play on the court.  The playoffs have been atrocious, up until the last couple games.  NBA has played too many games, in too little of time, stars are older and more fragile.

I feel the same way and have for the past few seasons. Limiting it to the play on the court, most of the time it just isn’t entertaining to watch. Watching offenses that are nothing more than ball screens and often devolve into guys going 1 on 1 jacking step back 3s really doesn’t do it for me. The players are incredibly talented, but the play on the court just isn’t very good. Not to get into it here since it is what ties us together, but the college game has become even more difficult to watch, but at least we have a really compelling post season to make up for it.

SLU_Nick likes this

The NBA shouldn't be looking to expand anywhere.  The on-the-court product is watered down as it is.  I think we're looking at an early 1970s situation where a lot of Hall of Famers are on their way out of the league and there aren't enough rising stars in the league to replace them.  The solution in 1976 was the ABA merger but there is no ABA to replenish the NBA this time around.

AGB91 and SLU_Nick like this

3 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I feel the same way and have for the past few seasons. Limiting it to the play on the court, most of the time it just isn’t entertaining to watch. Watching offenses that are nothing more than ball screens and often devolve into guys going 1 on 1 jacking step back 3s really doesn’t do it for me. The players are incredibly talented, but the play on the court just isn’t very good. Not to get into it here since it is what ties us together, but the college game has become even more difficult to watch, but at least we have a really compelling post season to make up for it.

I watch the finals bc I feel like I have responsibility as a sports fan.  I agree though, it’s just non stop pick and roll and then players just yelling at refs every possession trying to get the upper hand.  Giannis gets bumped while driving mindlessly into the lane it’s a foul.  That is, unless the bucks are leading, it’s not called a foul to help the other team catch up.  Booker not being called for an obvious 6th foul 2 games ago was laughable and predictable.  Suns will get the good whistle in Milwaukee to make sure the series goes 7 games.  I thought I was the only one that didn’t find nba enjoyable…nice to see several informed, respected posters feel like I do. 

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The NBA shouldn't be looking to expand anywhere.  The on-the-court product is watered down as it is.  I think we're looking at an early 1970s situation where a lot of Hall of Famers are on their way out of the league and there aren't enough rising stars in the league to replace them.  The solution in 1976 was the ABA merger but there is no ABA to replenish the NBA this time around.

I'm not sure the on-the-court product is watered down especially compared to the 1970s.  NBA is a global league now.  The quality of players is likely better than ever because the league is pulling in players from all over the world rather than just the USA.  The potential issue the NBA has is that isn't that there aren't enough rising stars to replace the aging Hall of Famers.  Rather there are not enough US born rising stars.  This sounds Stephen A. Smith-eque and that makes me want to throw up in my mouth a bit, but NBA's core audience may not relate / get as excited watching foreign players.  A lot of the best NBA players under 30 are foreign born.  This is especially true of the ones on good teams: Jokic, Giannis, Luka, Embiid, Gobert.  Good US born young players are on bad teams: Zion, Beal, Towns, LaVine, Fox.

willie likes this

9 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not sure the on-the-court product is watered down especially compared to the 1970s.  NBA is a global league now.  The quality of players is likely better than ever because the league is pulling in players from all over the world rather than just the USA.  The potential issue the NBA has is that isn't that there aren't enough rising stars to replace the aging Hall of Famers.  Rather there are not enough US born rising stars.  This sounds Stephen A. Smith-eque and that makes me want to throw up in my mouth a bit, but NBA's core audience may not relate / get as excited watching foreign players.  A lot of the best NBA players under 30 are foreign born.  This is especially true of the ones on good teams: Jokic, Giannis, Luka, Em, Gobert.  Good US born young players are on bad teams: Zion, Beal, Towns, LaVine, Fox.

I believe there's a lot of truth in what you say.  I also believe, with the exception of Giannis, the peak years of the rising stars will not be as high as the Hall of Famers best years.  Too many physically brittle players.

8 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Don’t you live in Belleville?

yeah that's nothing to brag about any more.   getting worse all the time.  

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I believe there's a lot of truth in what you say.  I also believe, with the exception of Giannis, the peak years of the rising stars will not be as high as the Hall of Famers best years.  Too many physically brittle players.

You sound like an old man saying back in my day things were always better. If anything the new players are too good. There is no such thing as a shot out of range. The skill level is incredible. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

You sound like an old man saying back in my day things were always better. If anything the new players are too good. There is no such thing as a shot out of range. The skill level is incredible. 

Are there players who are projected to be better than peak Lebron, Curry and Durant at their respective positions?  I'll wait.

1 hour ago, willie said:

It is true that when you are young things are always better than when you are old. Old people cannot say that things are always better, on the contrary, in a personal way they are always worse. From getting out of a car and coming close to passing out due to your blood pooling in your legs and not reaching your brain, to back and leg pains coming with no reason, getting old is not equal to getting better, the opposite is the truth. You all will find this to be true, it is just a matter or time. Getting old sucks.