Billikens.com Report Technical Errors Thread

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/26/2022 at 10:18 AM, SluSignGuy said:

As a slight warning, I have to do a semi-major upgrade to the server this weekend - so we may have some downtime on Saturday/Sunday.  Just wanted to give this heads up.

If it has anything to do with installing the new Windows 11 22H2, presumably the server version, be aware that things may not go as smoothly as you hope. I have no experience with the server model of Win 11 22H2, but the standard system had issues from the moment it was released to a limited audience. More issues in the Pro version of Win 11 than in the Home version. I installed the new system in late September, and they have issued a very large number of cumulative updates (4 so far) following the original release. Most of the new Cumulative releases of Win 11 22H2 are preceded or followed by cumulative releases of the .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 (3 so far). All of which means that it may take some time and several updates before you are stable with the new version of Windows.

Updates to server made.  But it broke a few things (e.g., the news aggregator on the front page, and the board itself may be a little slower due to caching issues).

I will work more on this during the weekend.  Hopefully it will not be too difficult.

steve your dedication to giving us a virtual sandbox to read, discuss all things saint louis university has truly been amazing.  thank you for all you do for us.   

35 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

steve your dedication to giving us a virtual sandbox to read, discuss all things saint louis university has truly been amazing.  thank you for all you do for us.   

Steve is special and a blessing to Billikens fans.

I am glad I sit close to Steve at games to say hello to him every game.

• 3 months later...

Some may have noticed that there was a lot of spam on the board this morning.  Some bots appeared to get through the registration process.  I have banned these bots, and I temporarily have made it so that I have to manually approve all registrations, which should hopefully prevent new bots from registering and posting.

Sorry for the trouble.

Steve

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

Some may have noticed that there was a lot of spam on the board this morning.  Some bots appeared to get through the registration process.  I have banned these bots, and I temporarily have made it so that I have to manually approve all registrations, which should hopefully prevent new bots from registering and posting.

Sorry for the trouble.

Steve

I don't see anything on my end. Just threads about womans bball and a few flight specials. Can only assume those specials are for the A10T in NYC

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For some users, the time it takes to post is very long.  I have some work items I need to do today, but I am starting to try to diagnose the issue.

Thanks for your patience,

Steve

8 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

For some users, the time it takes to post is very long.  I have some work items I need to do today, but I am starting to try to diagnose the issue.

Thanks for your patience,

Steve

I think the issue is more constrained to private messages. In a nut shell, I think the email server is timing out (when most people send a private message it also sends an email).

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think that is because changes twitter has made to limit data scrapping.  

It actually is quite odd.  The feeds on Billikens.com are run through Twitter "lists."  You can create an Embed of these lists here:

https://publish.twitter.com/#

The Billikens.com list URL is this: 

https://twitter.com/i/lists/766081953082683392

If you try to create an embed, it even displays the error on Twitter's page.

I admit I am hoping they fix the issue rather than me just removing the feeds (because I don't really have a replacement).

36 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

It actually is quite odd.  The feeds on Billikens.com are run through Twitter "lists."  You can create an Embed of these lists here:

https://publish.twitter.com/#

The Billikens.com list URL is this: 

https://twitter.com/i/lists/766081953082683392

If you try to create an embed, it even displays the error on Twitter's page.

I admit I am hoping they fix the issue rather than me just removing the feeds (because I don't really have a replacement).

-good luck!

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Have you seen everything Threads tracks once you download the app? No thanks.

You also can't erase your threads profile...ever.  It is permanent collecting information on you.  Threads makes tik tok look safe.

brianstl likes this

• 6 months later...

Only posting this because I put wheels in motion today, but in late March, we may experience some server downtime or hiccups with the site.  In brief, we are staying with the same server company but moving to a different package. 

A reason for this is that it will put us on a more logical billing cycle (i.e. if I need to make server changes in the future) for a team that plays from October to March, along with my personal work calendar (i.e., September is busier for me than August).

3 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Only posting this because I put wheels in motion today, but in late March, we may experience some server downtime or hiccups with the site.  In brief, we are staying with the same server company but moving to a different package. 

A reason for this is that it will put us on a more logical billing cycle (i.e. if I need to make server changes in the future) for a team that plays from October to March, along with my personal work calendar (i.e., September is busier for me than August).

-kind of unbelievable that you would schedule this as we approach the Final Four

Billikenbooster likes this

Yeah, I recognize that.  However, traffic drops considerably a week or two after the men's basketball team's season ends.  My hope is the hiccups are very small.